• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Tom Cooper

Beach Comber
Mar 24, 2008
I was thrown from the "pool" by the Coyote before the ink dried on my pre-qual paper work;-). I know....not an excuse. Speaking of Wile, wonder of he will be back now that the election is over?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I think if you look back at the postings it looks like some people had 2 usernames. First, they would pose a question or comment, then they would log in as another person and continue the attack. This may or may not have been the case, it just appeared that way.

I'll continue to be around. I really like SoWal, and I think it's a great way for the whole county to get connected. I may not be on here often because my computer is a relic and takes forever to go from page to page, even with high speed internet, but I WILL still be around. :D :D

That's called a sock puppet which is not allowed. We did have a little of that which we took care of when recognized. It did seem like there was more of it but you'd be surprised. Sometimes it's friends or spouses.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
WOW - The Coyote was a hoot. He stated his/her objective clearly from day one - Get Ralph Out. Wylie made it nteresting to start with - the got out of the way and let those who stayed in the game until the official qualifying period was over and then went quite letting the candidates fight it out. He/she raised a lot of attention to the need for a change.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I like Kurt's idea of some creating some kind of Q&A for the candidates, but maybe in a spread sheet, short answer comparison chart, or longer answer format, but similar to some of the Meet the Candidates forums, where we have one question per thread, followed by the responses from each candidate, with a place for the public to comment or ask additional questions regarding the candidates' answers.

The current format of random questions asked and answered in bulk, separated by many public comments and sometimes inaccurate accusations, takes away from the guts of it, and requires too much time from the candidates. Also, I don't think most of the population is reading in-depth answers from the candidate's, so easy-to-follow questions and answers are most likely to be read.

I'm glad that many candidates chimed in to www.sowal.com forums to respond. I don't agree with the premise of the first post, that they didn't post on here. I think if anything, they may have avoided responding to the inaccurate accusations posted by some negative campaigners for the opposition. It is easy to get sucked in, defending one's self, rather than promoting one's self. The negative campaigners hope that the worst will come out in a candidate and that the candidate will get off-focus from their campaign.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
Oh they did avoid posting here. I can find no posts from Jones or George Wallace Smith. Adkinson stopped posting here as well as Cooper. Johnson never came here and neither did Wilkerson or Winegarner. Did anyone find a post from Larry Jones or Johnny Smith ? I didn't. I also found no posts from Carlene Anderson, but maybe I just missed them.

Maybe it was just the pace of the campaign. Your idea about short answers in some spreadsheet format is a great idea. The process will get better because the costs associated with the campaigns is very high and climbing.

Just my observations. Hopefully we can find a way to engage them all in the future.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
And some of them may drift back over here when they've got time. Hopefully, everyone involved in the election is currently working extra hours to collect and remove the umpteen billion road signs from right of ways as required for statute.

Yeah, I still want to believe in the Easter bunny too.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Oh they did avoid posting here. I can find no posts from Jones or George Wallace Smith. Adkinson stopped posting here as well as Cooper. Johnson never came here and neither did Wilkerson or Winegarner. Did anyone find a post from Larry Jones or Johnny Smith ? I didn't. I also found no posts from Carlene Anderson, but maybe I just missed them.

Maybe it was just the pace of the campaign. Your idea about short answers in some spreadsheet format is a great idea. The process will get better because the costs associated with the campaigns is very high and climbing.

Just my observations. Hopefully we can find a way to engage them all in the future.
You are correct that some didn't post, but many did.

Not surprising that Jones wasn't here, because she was obviously targeting NoWal, judging by the fact that she lost every precinct in South Walton to Alan Osborne.
George Wallace Smith -- does he really exist?
Johnson? Does he show up for anything? He failed to show up to support his $300,000 budget request. He failed to show at all of the Meet the Candidate's forums. No surprises that he doesn't show up here.
Johnny Smith, I not sure that he is internet savvy enough to know how to post on SoWal.com. (my dad is like that, too.)

You are spot-on regarding the costs of a campaign. If the candidates actually followed the rules, the costs would decrease, b/c they wouldn't spend money on printing,placing and pulling illegally-placed signs. SoWal.com offers a great place for free advertising, with more than 2,000,000 hits per month, according to Kurt's numbers which he shares. If we can just get a good balanced and fair format, it could be a great source for a paperless, plasticless, and litter-free "green" campaign.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
We agree on costs but will disagree on the reasons for those who did not post. By the way Jones did not just campaign in the north - she campaigned heavily in Miramar. She also spent over 10 grand advertising in the NW Daily News.

She executed her plan to win very well, just as Adkinson did. Win North and rely on the southern voters to once again not turn out.

It was not the large field - add Sids votes and George wallace Smiths votes to Osborne and she still beat him - same for Hudson - they both needed a large turnout in the South - neither got the turnout.

Adkinson relied on Cooper to take the votes away from Johnson which he did.

All three campaigns were destined to fail due to southern voter apathy.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Maybe it is worthy of a new thread, but I think we need to have a discussion on negative ads vs. contrast ads. These are real things that candidates have to deal with when making decisions on how to run their campaigns.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
You are correct that some didn't post, but many did.

Not surprising that Jones wasn't here, because she was obviously targeting NoWal, judging by the fact that she lost every precinct in South Walton to Alan Osborne.
George Wallace Smith -- does he really exist?
Johnson? Does he show up for anything? He failed to show up to support his $300,000 budget request. He failed to show at all of the Meet the Candidate's forums. No surprises that he doesn't show up here.
Johnny Smith, I not sure that he is internet savvy enough to know how to post on SoWal.com. (my dad is like that, too.)

You are spot-on regarding the costs of a campaign. If the candidates actually followed the rules, the costs would decrease, b/c they wouldn't spend money on printing,placing and pulling illegally-placed signs. SoWal.com offers a great place for free advertising, with more than 2,000,000 hits per month, according to Kurt's numbers which he shares. If we can just get a good balanced and fair format, it could be a great source for a paperless, plasticless, and litter-free "green" campaign.

I was waiting until the end of the month but I'll let y'all know we have surpassed 6 million page views for August and still counting. :D That translates to over 19 million hits.

I agree with you about your reasoning. Jones and Jones had no reason to post here and C. Jones absence may be telling. Any flak she's getting on this forum is mostly from people who don't know her, or fear she's avoiding the people in her district. Hopefully that's not the case and she just doesn't have the ability.