• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
With the exception of Brad Drake, candidate for House Dist. 5, I have not seen one campaign flyer, ad or other political statement by any of the so called Republicans, on their position on core conservative values:

Abortion
Traditional definition of marriage
2nd amendment rights
Prayer in schools
etc.

Will the true Republicans let us know where you stand?

The people running for local offices don't control theses things. The State licenses marriage, the Fed Gov't handles the 2nd Ammendment, and God handles prayer (many kids pray in school for many different things.)

DFSboy

Beach Lover
Jul 13, 2008
These seem like very narrow social issues that have more to do with individual choice than a party value.

what happened to fiscal conservatism, small government, individual responsibility, and marketplace economics?

Are you voting for a person or a politician? I bet the person(s) may you vote for would ask you refer to them as a person, and not a POLITICIAN. So, therefore, why not know a little about that PERSON you are voting for---especially since they (Republicans) have chosen to join a particular party, by choice, with such a reputation of strong conservative values.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Ok, as a Republican I can answer this one. Yes, yes indeed these are important issues to my party. Remember, voting is a personal choice, and the position of a sheriff candidate (for example) on these important issues should have an effect on a Republican Voters' decision when casting a vote.

:dunno: So you think that a Democratic Sheriff would enforce the laws differently than a Republican Sheriff? That math doesn't add up. The Sheriff is not to decide which laws to enforce and which laws to let slide. He or she must enforce the laws equally, without prejudice. There is a good reason for division of the branches of gov't.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Are you voting for a person or a politician? I bet the person(s) may you vote for would ask you refer to them as a person, and not a POLITICIAN. So, therefore, why not know a little about that PERSON you are voting for---especially since they (Republicans) have chosen to join a particular party, by choice, with such a reputation of strong conservative values.
I fail to see this "reputation of strong conservative values" in the Republican Party.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
With the exception of Brad Drake, candidate for House Dist. 5, I have not seen one campaign flyer, ad or other political statement by any of the so called Republicans, on their position on core conservative values:

Abortion
Traditional definition of marriage
2nd amendment rights
Prayer in schools
etc.

Will the true Republicans let us know where you stand?

If those are the "core" issues of the Republican Party, I'm voting Democrat!

There are much bigger and more important issues IMO and using those as a litmus test for a local election just seems like a witchhunt.

DFSboy

Beach Lover
Jul 13, 2008
:dunno: So you think that a Democratic Sheriff would enforce the laws differently than a Republican Sheriff? That math doesn't add up. The Sheriff is not to decide which laws to enforce and which laws to let slide. He or she must enforce the laws equally, without prejudice. There is a good reason for division of the branches of gov't.

Smiling JOe,

No, that is not what I suggested at all, Smiling JOe. The math that I calculate says that I am voting for a PERSON, and that I would like to know these positions (as originally mentioned) in which that PERSON stands, as well as other issues. And, why that PERSON (Republican) chooses to voluntarily join a certain group (by registering Republican). Especially since that "certain group" has a huge reputation of being strongly conservative on many issues like mentioned. So, if a local Sheriff Candidate (for example) has chosen to be a Republican, then why? Prove it, or ?Stand-Up? as a person like Rhonda Skipper did four years ago.

LETS GO BACK FOUR YEARS NOW:
Most everyone I've heard speak on the issue blamed "diluted" votes as reason that Sheriff Johnson still collected the most votes in the primary four years ago. However, perhaps some of those same people (SEE "TIME FOR SOME TO DROP OUT" THREAD) have suggested that Sheriff Johnson won the general election due to his party affiliation; regardless that he was so, so hated by so, so many Republicans, and the fact that many of his Republican opponents later publicly endorsed the Democrat Candidate (Billy McKee) in the general election.

So, Smiling JOe, did all those people assume that Democratic Candidate Billy McKee would NOT "enforce the laws equally" or ?decide which laws to enforce or which laws to let slide? due to his party affiliation?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I am going to register as a Republican tomorrow, so that I can vote in the Sheriff's race (I don't think the lone Democrat is worthy of the position), but don't go throwing me and the others who follow suit, into the same batch with the Christian Conservatives who are also usually in the GOP.

I read your follow up post and still don't understand how you think that a conservative Sheriff would uphold the laws differently than a liberal Sheriff. I really don't understand your direct question to me in that last paragraph. It would be impossible for me to accurately assume why people vote as they do. Each person has their own reason.

DFSboy

Beach Lover
Jul 13, 2008
I am going to register as a Republican tomorrow, so that I can vote in the Sheriff's race (I don't think the lone Democrat is worthy of the position), but don't go throwing me and the others who follow suit, into the same batch with the Christian Conservatives who are also usually in the GOP.

I read your follow up post and still don't understand how you think that a conservative Sheriff would uphold the laws differently than a liberal Sheriff. I really don't understand your direct question to me in that last paragraph. It would be impossible for me to accurately assume why people vote as they do. Each person has their own reason.

Smiling JOe,

Welcome to the Republican Party, by choice; you?re in the batch now. However, it seems to me you may be better suited as an Independent.