• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
My first guess would have been that the building owner wanted to substantially raise the rent on them.

Agree...the commercial RE boom is the next leg down. Commercial property investulators across the nation are having the same problems as homeowers, trying to come up with the mortgage payments as expenses continue to rise. The fact that we're going deeper into recession and the consumers are cutting way back on buying stuff and food is shrinking merchants' profit margins at the same time commercial property owners are trying to make the monthly nut by jacking up rents.

It's sad to see businesses disappearing, but it is the logical outcome of the frenzied RE money-grab from daze gone by.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Landlords in South Walton had better realize that something is better than nothing! There is plenty of available space for good reason and it really is sad to see complexes with so many empty units. Small businesses have little chance with the present situation, even with a good "season". PLEASE support your local merchants or we will not have any left.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Landlords in South Walton had better realize that something is better than nothing!

I don't think they have a choice--they're bleeding out money and have no option left to keep from sinking further underwater other than jacking up rents. Many are probably commerical property investulators who were trying to get rich quick--kinda like condo investulators, only more clueless to the risk of the economy going into the crapper.

Last edited:

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
What a shame! We loved Yianni's! It was a crowd pleaser -- you could get a great salad, a burger, pizza, fish. And surprisingly it was all great! I also loved being able to bring your own wine with no corkage fee! I hope that they will reopen!! There should be plenty of locations to choose from -- I just hope it's close to our beach house, please!

Sailbee

Beach Crab
Oct 1, 2008
Yiannis

This is a crime!! Maybe Obam can help - this restaurant is one of the best on 30A, reasonable and delicious. Perhaps they can come back. This is the type quality restaurant that exemplies the taste of South Walton.

htjhs8

Beach Lover
Mar 1, 2007
Yanni's Greek Restaurant

Apologize if this has already been addressed........but,

does anyone know why YANNI'S on 30A closed?

thks

cheesehead

Beach Lover
Jul 28, 2008
30a
The rent went up and his wife has been ill for about 2 yrs. Good ? on why, in this economy, would the rent be raised. I think enough resturants have closed.

Fire. Not as in the restaurant, but as in the state, process, or instance of combustion in which fuel or other material is ignited and combined with oxygen, giving off light, heat, and flame. So sad.

For the record, it's Yianni's. Of course, I have never misspelled a word. :rotfl:

EDIT: I also have never made a mistake. :rotfl: I remember another thread on this topic. The fire didn't do enough damage to close it down.

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
The rent went up and his wife has been ill for about 2 yrs. Good ? on why, in this economy, would the rent be raised. I think enough resturants have closed.

Who knows. Since Crist has been Governor we have seen a major drop in taxes and insurance rates according to the letter he sent me last week asking for a contribution. So not sure why rent would be doing anything but also falling.