• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
Anyone have any insight here?

Governor DeSantis has appointed a new member to the Walton County Board of County Commissioners.

Brad Drake is a former Representative in the Florida House of Representatives and the Director of Rural and Community Affairs for the Florida Department of Transportation.

Drake earned his bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Florida.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It seems like we don't have any representation, at all, if the governor can appoint our county commissioners. It seems like there should be a special election for us to pick a new commissioner. This system is ripe for corruption.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It's been rumored for sometimes that once he termed out at the state level he was going to run for BCC. I'm sure the guy who's already filed to run in district 3 is thrilled he wasn't considered.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
Former Florida State House Representative Brad Drake now fills the vacant District 3 seat.

Florida Governor Ron Desantis appointed Drake to the chair in an announcement on Sept. 7.

Drake, of Defuniak Springs, is the Director of Rural and Community Affairs for the Florida Department of Transportation.

He served as a representative in the Florida House of Representatives from 2008 to 2012 and again from 2014 to 2022.

Drake earned his Bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Florida.

Drake told News 13 at the Sept. 11 ceremony he will focus on being available for residents to speak with openly.

“This morning I already met my first constituent. We had breakfast and they had a lot on their mind. So I want to make sure that everyone in the county, especially those who live in District 3, understands that they have someone now that they can count on. They can come to my office or they can call me and reach out and express their concerns or their ideas or their vision for the county, and they’ll have someone that’ll be responsive,” said Drake.

Drake said he will focus on infrastructure in the growing area.

“We have to continue to invest in infrastructure. We’re one of the fastest-growing counties in the state and in the United States so if we’re going to continue to be a part of that growth that naturally happens when people find out that you have the best place in the world that you can live in. There are growing pains that are associated with that so we want to make sure that we’re ready, that we can provide the infrastructure that people that want to come here and tap into water lines and those exist or be able to drive on roads that are sustainable,” said Drake.

The District 3 seat has been open since Mike Barker’s departure in Feb. 2023. The term will run out in Nov. of 2024.