Back to All About SoWal

Hurricane Dennis

RudyjohnSoWal InsiderLocked
45,779 views
I need advice from you...
We have cottage reservations, flights, rental car, etc., all beginning this Sunday morning - - right when this t.s. will be upgraded to a hurricane with expected landfall somewhere thru the panhandle, give or take a couple hundred miles. We have the delimma of going ahead and canceling everything and loosing the $$$$$ (which is substantial) or waiting it out to the very last minute. I guess this is a "no brainer" but....

Stay safe to all of you there ~

Replies

272
Smiling JOe avatar
Smiling JOeSoWal Expert
#77
I guess it is time for me to go gas up the kayak and canoe.
Oh, I just remembered that I don't have to since they don't have a motor. Some canned tuna is the only type of fuel that I need. 😀
JB avatar
JBBeach Fanatic
#78
JB- Could I have the web address for this map/site?

It came from weather underground. Click on "computer models" to see the latest. Here is the link:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/
BeachDreamer avatar
BeachDreamerBeach Fanatic
#79
It does seem unreal. Hang in there guys, we'll be praying for you!
lampkwpBeach Comber
#80
Grayton friends, what a season it's going to be. I'm getting pretty sick of worrying about all these storms. My family has waterfront property, even worse low lying dune lake front property. We have been through many of these. If it hits at a category three we will for sure get water. Our house is five feet above sea-level; 12 foot storm surge, do the math. But that's what insurance is for. You can't worry about things that can be replaced. I worry about the beach, the dunes, wildlife, the people. Here are a few possible predictions from my experinence. First we might not get a direct hit, maybe Mobile. We would be better off with it hitting t the east of us, the water-storm surge is alot worse if it hits to the west of us. A common trend is when the storm is two to three days away and is very powerful it will likely weaken. If it weakens early in the gulf it might strengthen before it gets to us. Hurricane Opal was a category 4-5 a day before it hit as a 3. So I think were better off with it being more powerful now. Good luck to all of you down there, think positive. Hey locals if it does enough damage it might lower property values and run all the tourists out.
Smiling JOe avatar
Smiling JOeSoWal Expert
#81
I am amazed that no one is asking for it to take out PCB. :idontno: Some might say that could be a benefit.
hutch avatar
hutchBeach Lover
#82
Just want to let some people know. Check your home owners insurance. Some companies offer discounts if your house was built after 2002 with the new hurricane requirements. Saved me $$. Do not think they will tell you-
ask about it. Oh! Be sure your insurance premium is current. 😀

SJ- Since you are staying- better buy some extra tuna and pick up a few bones for the dogs. Let the Big Dawg Eat!
Lisa_at_the_beach avatar
Lisa_at_the_beachBeach Fanatic
#83
Well we've made the decision to stay put. Gordie keeps telling me he wants to move to the Bahamas...I ask "What happens if there is a Hurricane?" He says...."We'll just have to hunker down" .......So guess you could call this a trial run.

It really is still too early to make the call for most...but who else is planning to stay besides us, Camp Creek Kid and Smiling Joe??? Kurt...are you going to be around?

I cannot believe we are doing this again :(
RudyjohnSoWal InsiderAuthor
#84
Well, we're cutting our losses and heading for Cabo San Lucas, no where near the Gulf of Mexico. Our 1st choice is still 30-A area (& always will be) but we feel a huge need to get out of Chicago for a few days and see a little surf and sand. Delta thinks the flights will be canceled, so...

Stay safe~
beachmouse avatar
beachmouseBeach Fanatic
#85
We're going to make a decision midday tommorrow. Forecast tracks have been so all over the place, but we should know enough by then for stay/go. If we go, leave on Saturday morning.
RiverOtter avatar
RiverOttergot any pics?
#86
I'm waiting till Saturday morning... Got nothing else to do :idontno:
Kimmifunn avatar
KimmifunnFunnkalicious
#87
Grayton friends, what a season it's going to be. I'm getting pretty sick of worrying about all these storms. My family has waterfront property, even worse low lying dune lake front property. We have been through many of these. If it hits at a category three we will for sure get water. Our house is five feet above sea-level; 12 foot storm surge, do the math. But that's what insurance is for. You can't worry about things that can be replaced. I worry about the beach, the dunes, wildlife, the people. Here are a few possible predictions from my experinence. First we might not get a direct hit, maybe Mobile. We would be better off with it hitting t the east of us, the water-storm surge is alot worse if it hits to the west of us. A common trend is when the storm is two to three days away and is very powerful it will likely weaken. If it weakens early in the gulf it might strengthen before it gets to us. Hurricane Opal was a category 4-5 a day before it hit as a 3. So I think were better off with it being more powerful now. Good luck to all of you down there, think positive. Hey locals if it does enough damage it might lower property values and run all the tourists out.

Hey Bill- We are headed up to Auburn on Sunday. We have a room at the Heart of Auburn so give me a call on my cell- get my number from Kathryn. Will you be around? Better yet- who's playing at the Supper Club. Looks like Grayton Sunset could be beach front property soon....
Smiling JOe avatar
Smiling JOeSoWal Expert
#88
Just want to let some people know. Check your home owners insurance. Some companies offer discounts if your house was built after 2002 with the new hurricane requirements. Saved me $$. Do not think they will tell you-
ask about it. Oh! Be sure your insurance premium is current. 😀

SJ- Since you are staying- better buy some extra tuna and pick up a few bones for the dogs. Let the Big Dawg Eat!
Just returned from a little Dawg Food shopping.
Franny avatar
FrannyBeach Fanatic
#89
Go to accuweather.com for the latest update on Dennis. As a local we are making the decision to evacuate so I can't recommend coming down. Once the hurricane enters the gulf we will have a better idea of the path. But you need to remember that Ivan hit Pensacola and we were without power for several days. Believe me it is not fun and the temp is much warmer than when Ivan hit. Hope things work for you to have a great vacation. By the way I did see another thread recommending that you start you trip to Florida and wait it out at a destination along your route.
Kurt avatar
KurtAdmin
#90
Go to accuweather.com for the latest update on Dennis. As a local we are making the decision to evacuate so I can't recommend coming down. Once the hurricane enters the gulf we will have a better idea of the path. But you need to remember that Ivan hit Pensacola and we were without power for several days. Believe me it is not fun and the temp is much warmer than when Ivan hit. Hope things work for you to have a great vacation. By the way I did see another thread recommending that you start you trip to Florida and wait it out at a destination along your route.

The problem is that once it gets into the gulf it's too close. Saturday traffic is going to be a mess, doubly so if we're still in the cone. If you're scheduled to come tomorrow, spend the night somewhere north of here. If Saturday morning we're in the cone, stay away!

Thread locked

This conversation is read-only until a moderator unlocks it.