• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Good Time To Be A Renter

New posts
That 6 percent is for someone that is AAA plus credit with a huge down payment and a ton of side cash JUST in case. I love the stories i read here from the "experts" that havent talked to the real people not the fake realtor hypsters that work at restaurants serving up food to pay their bills now that things are bleak and getting bleaker. The microscope lenders are using now make a procto look inviting - if you dont believe me call one - the first question is "how much money do you have?" not the question from a few years ago which was "What do you want?"...Youd have to be Warren Buffet to get a 6 or even a mortgage on a high priced anything in So Wal and especially if this is the typical second home.

The problem w this area is the folks like Spin that talk hype - you can get a mortgage cheap - BS...the market here is DREADUL and will get worse. The bottom isnt anywhere near today...maybe next year. There is a glut of homes and condos and a glut of available rentals. Some homes are sitting for months before anyone wil even ask for a showing...and thats A FACT. Condos are sitting for months with no one asking for a showing.

What fool would jump both feet into this mess and buy anything. Rent and ask for the deal of the century. Most will take a cut off the rent and sec deposit just to get you under wraps for a year - until this turns some.

Cubsfan, you are entertaining at least - talk about hype. Warren Buffet? TONS of cash? Please read what I wrote. I said in sowal, the post might be correct, but other areas maybe not. I am not talking hype. The earlier post made a statement about 7-8% mortgages and implied that was the norm on buying a house. Now keep in mind that post was talking rent vs. buy, which means primary residence, not 2nd home and definitely not investor.

No one is saying bad credit or medium credit can walk in and get 100% financing at 6%. You are correct about one thing - if someone is purchasing a home, lenders do want to know how much down payment they have. However, if you are purchasing a primary residence, with good credit you can go to 95% in the conforming loan market, meaning 5% down. Reserves always help but credit over 660 with a 5% down payment and verified income to support a debt ratio < 45% gets approved all day long. 660 is not AAA stellar but is pretty good. I don't know if I'm an expert but I run Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac applications all day long (from real people) and see what gets approved and what doesn't and what's necessary (not a huge down payment and a ton of side cash JUST in case - of course I don't know how much 'huge' is or how much a 'ton' is).

A minus credit (620 or so) will get you approval at 90% refi with cash out and a rate somewhere around 7.25 -7.50. Purchase to 100% is still available but rates would be higher.
 
Last edited:
Spin,

But I heard things have changed in the last month. Aren't lenders requiring the borrower have a downpayment, a steady job, a decent FICO, and a debt ratio that will allow them to pay back the loan?

.

Yes. 100% purchase is still available in the nonconforming market with some lenders. For primary residence, 620 and up, full documentation, and debt ratio on that usually needs to be < 50%.

See my previous post for conforming - you know, that mythical 6% unicorn.
 
Isn't it a great time to be a landlord? Now all of these people can't get mortgages, so they have to rent. This equates to greater demand that means increase in rents.

I just leased one of my properties in Atlanta after having a for rent sign up for only a couple of days, and raised the rent from the previous tenant. Rents had been stagnant/declining the last few years.
 
Isn't it a great time to be a landlord? Now all of these people can't get mortgages, so they have to rent. This equates to greater demand that means increase in rents.

I just leased one of my properties in Atlanta after having a for rent sign up for only a couple of days, and raised the rent from the previous tenant. Rents had been stagnant/declining the last few years.

Personally, at least in this area (ie Emerald Coast), I would say that most landlords dont have it to good down here...

ECAR's available rental units (supply) have increased from the high 600's last year to the high 900's this year...

Rents may have increased a tad if not decreased will the landlords taxes and insurance have been going through the roof...

Not to mention your "equity" is droping like a rock... But who cares about that as a landlord right, everybody was buying these houses the last two years for rental income, not the promised 20% equity gains each year out infinitum... :roll:
 
I agree with destinism. As more units are built, more are sitting vacant, because one person can live in only so many units. More inventory is attempting to be rented out, and I have seen rental prices drop to a somewhat affordable level, as compared to the past. Landlords are even allowing pets in many cases. The market isn't so great for the landlords, but for the tenants, it is a good thing to see. It means that servers who cater to the tourists, will actually be able to afford to live here. The good or bad is only in the eyes of the beholder.
 
I just re-fied my abode;(JUST IN TIME) the loans of the past IE: no proof income and such are now long gone:blink:


Spin,

But I heard things have changed in the last month. Aren't lenders requiring the borrower have a downpayment, a steady job, a decent FICO, and a debt ratio that will allow them to pay back the loan?

.
 
I just re-fied my abode;(JUST IN TIME) the loans of the past IE: no proof income and such are now long gone:blink:

Currently there are still stated income loans available but the guidelines have tightened - minimum credit score, maximum loan to value, etc.
 
I just re-fied my abode;(JUST IN TIME) the loans of the past IE: no proof income and such are now long gone:blink:

No matter if the rate is 6,7 or 8 percent, owning just does not compute
(vs renting).

I re-fied last year and got a decent rate, and there is no way in h311 I would ever be able to rent a 3-BR house by myself for what I'm paying on my mortgage.

No more renting for me.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top