• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Canopy on the beach

New posts
We also represent to the rest of the world our beach community online, so when people start calling each other "morons," "trolls," etc. I do feel that it makes SoWal look very elitist and one-sided.

OM-

When I referred to Dr. NW as a "troll", it was not a personal insult. Had I referred to him as a moron, idiot, or something like that it would be different.

I was describing his behavior on the forum. "Trolling" is the practice of posting deliberately provocative comments, with the basic intent of stirring up s**t for the fun of it.

Constructive debate is fine, and I'm fine with people having opinions that don't match mine. But I don't care for trolling, and don't think it's at all elitist to point it out when I see it.

I am also disturbed when trolls get the emotional reaction they were fishing for, because, as you correctly pointed out, it does indeed make us look contentious and difficult to get along with. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

With 20/20 hindsight, the next time I see trolling, I'll do what I should have done this time - ignore it altogether and hope that everyone else does the same.
 
Last edited:
. . . . . .
beatdeadhorse.gif
Otter, don't give up on this thread just yet--jodi gave some valuable info in post #246. There's free beer under some of those canopies! :biggrin:
 
OM-

When I referred to Dr. NW as a "troll", it was not a personal insult. Had I referred to him as a moron, idiot, or something like that it would be different.

I was describing his behavior on the forum. "Trolling" is the practice of posting deliberately provocative comments, with the basic intent of stirring up s**t for the fun of it.

Constructive debate is fine, and I'm fine with people having opinions that don't match mine. But I don't care for trolling, and don't think it's at all elitist to point it out when I see it.

I am also disturbed when trolls get the emotional reaction they were fishing for, because, as you correctly pointed out, it does indeed make us look contentious and difficult to get along with. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

With 20/20 hindsight, the next time I see trolling, I'll do what I should have done this time - ignore it altogether and hope that everyone else does the same.

Treefrog, I was hoping that wasn't going to be misunderstood. There are very valid reasons for feeling someone is being a troll and I have seen a few on this board in the almost 2 years I've been involved, but it's the flagrant name-calling that sometimes happens that really makes us look bad sometimes. Troll-like behaviour on all sides gets yucky. It wasn't necessarily a "troll" reference, but the tangeant that gets going because of the poster deemed a troll and then the subsequent reactions that occur.

Please accept my apologies for any misunderstanding.
 
Otter, don't give up on this thread just yet--jodi gave some valuable info in post #246. There's free beer under some of those canopies! :biggrin:
;-) You never know what you might learn here on SOWAL:cool:
But I decided to post a pic of the beach in P'Cola just before a storm with alot of lightning ran most people off the beach and canceled the Blue Angels show on Saturday. How would you like to come out to this sight on the beach ..........
bilde


how did they expect to see the air show?????
 
Saw a program on the Travel Channel this weekend - Called Beachgoers Exposed - They call people who feel the need to put up tents - and bring a million things to the beach as "beach contractors". They poked fun at the idea of bringing so much to the beach and even remarked about the effort involved in removing it all at the end of the day.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top