• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

acetexan

Beach Crab
Jul 2, 2008
We're making our annual visit to Seagrove Beach in July. We usually put up our canopy on the first day and leave it up all week. Is that not allowed? I have read some threads about trucks picking up tents left on the beach overnight. Someone probably has seen our Canopy..it's a big Texas flag.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
No, it is not allowed, although some people haven't gotten the message or choose to ignore it! Just like we say here, Don't Mess with Texas, please Don't Mess with Turtles by leaving ANYTHING on the beach overnight!

Have a great trip!

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
You should pick up the tent at night if just for the turtles which are nesting on Sowal beaches as we type. Three nests found in the past four days.

The TDC has been known to pick a random beach and clear off everything left overnight. It is posted at every public crossover that it is illegal to leave things out overnight.
It is a great thing to try to remember to also bury the holes the little ones dig as people can and do fall into them. 20 people died last year as a direct result of holes on beaches. Turtles also will fall into them and cannot readily crawl out.
Have a great time while you're here and I'll keep my eye out for your tent to stop and say hi.
:welcome:

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
We're making our annual visit to Seagrove Beach in July. We usually put up our canopy on the first day and leave it up all week. Is that not allowed? I have read some threads about trucks picking up tents left on the beach overnight. Someone probably has seen our Canopy..it's a big Texas flag.

Now you can't leave it out -- everyone will know it was you! :D Thanks for asking!

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach

It was thoughtful of you to ask. Many just assume it's okay, and it does seem like it wouldn't be a big deal, unless you know about turtle nesting season. Thanks much for helping us help them. They are part of what makes our little corner of paradise so special.

Hope you have a grayt trip! :wave:

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
There are many people here who think it's a big deal aside from the turtle issue. Tents lined up on the beach can ruin the beauty of the beach and block the view. I'm sure you wouldn't want someone to come to Texas and set up tents on your lawn. To people who live here, and many who visit, it's the same thing, or worse.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Is Texas trying to claim Florida as their own territory? lol.

:lol: Yes, we're all moving there and in the process, we're bringing Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama with us. :D

IRIETYMES

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2007
Take a look at Inlet Beach

There are some incredible holes in front of huge tented pavilions that have been up several days as of this morning and more seem to be coming. These people need to be educated...wish there was some printed materials I could hand out as I walk about the beach explaining the rules and reasons. Every time I try and give "advice" it becomes a confrontaqtion as if the rules are my personal mean thoughts. Several people have taken an almost physical revulsion to my approach and advice. Anything printed out there that is official and available?