• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Debate Analysis and Opinions

New posts
I guess we all travel in different circles because the people I have talked to about Palin all think she is qualified BECAUSE she is more like common working people than any other national candidate in years. When elitists make fun of her speech, her lifestyle and such it infuriates those who identify with her because you are making fun of them. I have heard many people say that they wish she was at the head of the ticket because she is a fighter and is a real person. McCain seems to want everyone to love him instead of fighting for what he believes in.

And to those who say they support Obama because he has risen to the challenges of the campaign, what do you think Palin has done? Twice she has been in a position where to do poorly would be the death of her ticket and twice she has performed well, even by liberal pundit standards. Why would this not qualify her as much as Obama? He has certainly never responded to more pressure and arguably not even the same.

What I do hear from many people is a visceral fear of Obama and his platform of increased taxes and spending and what this double whammy will do to this nation.
 
Not all women (or men) supported the right to vote for women either. But, it took dang courage for the women (and men) who took a stand. For the women who did, there were many who couldn't or who were afraid to speak up. I think Palin is a brave woman, a woman who is not afraid of serving for her country in whatever capacity, whether the Governor or the VP. I don't agree with her on some issues but I didn't agree on some of Hillary's either and I supported her. I have not underestimated her capabilities as many have. I am going to hear her speak in Pensacola - I want to hear what she has to say.

Supermom, could you help me understand what you mean by "Palin is a brave woman, a woman who is not afraid of serving her country....."

Why would she be afraid?
 
.
Albright has responded:
"Though I am flattered that Governor Palin has chosen to cite me as a source of wisdom, what I said had nothing to do with politics. This is yet another example of McCain and Palin distorting the truth, and all the more reason to remember that this campaign is not about gender, it is about which candidate has an agenda that will improve the lives of all Americans, including women.
"The truth is, if you care about the status of women in our society and in our troubled economy, the best choice by far is Obama-Biden." - Madeleine Albright

Watching a video of Palin and the crowd's reaction makes me ask a question.:scratch:

Here are the quotes again and then my question:
"There's a place in Hell reserved for women who don't support other women,"

"I'm reading on my Starbucks mocha cup, okay? The quote of the day... It was Madeleine Albright, former Secretary of State [crowd boos] and UN ambassador.
..................




Now I ask you, is there a place in hell for those in that crowd who booed Madeleine Albright?
ija..:biggrin:


,
 
Last edited:
Rita, did you read the Rolling Stone article that was posted a few days back?
It was pretty harsh, but maybe on track...
I am beginning to think that many Americans have just lost it...how could women in that audience boo Madeleine Albright? Amazing. I guess I just don't understand "the cultural war".....
 
Last edited:
I guess we all travel in different circles because the people I have talked to about Palin all think she is qualified BECAUSE she is more like common working people than any other national candidate in years. When elitists make fun of her speech, her lifestyle and such it infuriates those who identify with her because you are making fun of them. I have heard many people say that they wish she was at the head of the ticket because she is a fighter and is a real person. McCain seems to want everyone to love him instead of fighting for what he believes in.

I get the idea that people are fed up with politicians on both sides and want something different. I feel this way too. What I don't get is that so many want someone they can have a beer with and relate to- someone just like them...

I'm no slouch (cue the Caddyshack line please),
but I have no business being president or vp. I do not want someone like me running this country. I want someone smarter, someone more (dare I say) ELITE...

This country is f'd up. We don't need another simpleton shaping the state of the union...

EDIT: And I don't believe we need a fighter. We need a thinker- a creative compromising diplomat...
 
Last edited:
Supermom, could you help me understand what you mean by "Palin is a brave woman, a woman who is not afraid of serving her country....."

Why would she be afraid?

Maybe I should have said proud to serve her country. As far as the bravery comment, I believe any woman running for the President (Hillary) or as the VP on the ticket, is brave. I think there will always be men and some women who will never accept a woman in those roles very easily and make it even more difficult for them along the road to the White House regardless of their qualifications and stand on the issues.

I read that Geraldine Ferraro said that during the debate although Palin was not her party of choice, that she was secretly rooting for her as a woman.

BTW, I also voted for Ferraro.
 
Rita, did you read the Rolling Stone article that was posted a few days back?
It was pretty harsh, but maybe on track...
I am beginning to think that many Americans have just lost it...how could women in that audience boo Madeleine Albright? Amazing. I guess I just don't understand "the cultural war".....

Yes I did and passed it on to others. I didn't agree with some of it but can see where they were coming from with the exaggerations.

"............The great insight of the Palin VP choice is that huge chunks of American voters no longer even demand that their candidates actually have policy positions; they simply consume them as media entertainment, rooting for or against them according to the reflexive prejudices of their demographic, as they would for reality-show contestants or sitcom characters. Hicks root for hicks, moms for moms, born-agains for born-agains. Sure, there was politics in the Palin speech, but it was all either silly lies or merely incidental fluffery buttressing the theatrical performance. A classic example of what was at work here came when Palin proudly introduced her Down-syndrome baby, Trig, then stared into the camera and somberly promised parents of special-needs kids that they would "have a friend and advocate in the White House." This was about a half-hour before she raised her hands in triumph with McCain, a man who voted against increasing funding for special-needs education. ...................." - MATT TAIBBI


I get the idea that people are fed up with politicians on both sides and want something different. I feel this way too. What I don't get is that so many want someone they can have a beer with and relate to- someone just like them...

I'm no slouch (cue the Caddyshack line please),
but I have no business being president or vp. I do not want someone like me running this country. I want someone smarter, someone more (dare I say) ELITE...

This country is f'd up. We don't need another simpleton shaping the state of the union...

EDIT: And I don't believe we need a fighter. We need a thinker- a creative compromising diplomat...

Geo - This is how I feel too and most of my friends too, but I do have some family members who don't see the real politician Palin is. They (some of my family) may think she is like them. :blink:


.
 
Yes I did and passed it on to others. I didn't agree with some of it but can see where they were coming from with the exaggerations.

"............The great insight of the Palin VP choice is that huge chunks of American voters no longer even demand that their candidates actually have policy positions; they simply consume them as media entertainment, rooting for or against them according to the reflexive prejudices of their demographic, as they would for reality-show contestants or sitcom characters. Hicks root for hicks, moms for moms, born-agains for born-agains. Sure, there was politics in the Palin speech, but it was all either silly lies or merely incidental fluffery buttressing the theatrical performance. A classic example of what was at work here came when Palin proudly introduced her Down-syndrome baby, Trig, then stared into the camera and somberly promised parents of special-needs kids that they would "have a friend and advocate in the White House." This was about a half-hour before she raised her hands in triumph with McCain, a man who voted against increasing funding for special-needs education. ...................." - MATT TAIBBI




Geo - This is how I feel too and most of my friends too, but I do have some family members who don't see the real politician Palin is. They (some of my family) may think she is like them. :blink:


.

Who are these "regular people":idontno:

I am beginning to wonder if the whole Palin thing is not an act put together to win over the base...whatever that means...

It is hard for me to believe that two school teachers raised a woman who can't construct a sentence that can be diagramed! Diagramming Sarah
Can Palin's sentences stand up to a grammarian?
By Kitty Burns Florey www.slate.com/id/2201158
 
Last edited:
Normal, regular people are those who do not have connections to unrepentent terrorists, radical socialists, middle eastern terrorists and community action groups whose major purpose is voter fraud. By the way, why won't the community organizer release his college transcript? What does he have to hide? Normal regular people would like to know.:floor:
 
Normal, regular people are those who do not have connections to unrepentent terrorists, radical socialists, middle eastern terrorists and community action groups whose major purpose is voter fraud. By the way, why won't the community organizer release his college transcript? What does he have to hide? Normal regular people would like to know.:floor:

So then we agree that Obama is not a normal regular person?
This is great news because like I said-
we don't need another normal regular person in the White House...
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top