I worked on the 2000 census, both in Walton and Okaloosa Counties. I found this to be the least difficult part of the work. Far more problematic were the second and vacation properties, for a variety of reasons too long to go into here. But there is no doubt in my mind that many people were missed that way. Also problematic, but maybe better this time around because of technology, were the out of date maps. Many of us spent hours hand-drawing in streets and whole subdivisions, identifying the addresses of built properties in those neighborhoods and then chasing down the occupants.A large part of the Complete Count effort is reaching out to the traditionally non-responsive segments of our community -- those who don't trust the government, don't want to be bothered with forms, etc.
I worked on the 2000 census, both in Walton and Okaloosa Counties. I found this to be the least difficult part of the work. Far more problematic were the second and vacation properties, for a variety of reasons too long to go into here. But there is no doubt in my mind that many people were missed that way. Also problematic, but maybe better this time around because of technology, were the out of date maps. Many of us spent hours hand-drawing in streets and whole subdivisions, identifying the addresses of built properties in those neighborhoods and then chasing down the occupants.
There was certainly no conspiracy that I could see, just a lot of bumbling and fumbling around and confusion over part-time residents, zip codes, etc.
And no Acorn either :roll:
Not hijacking. I understood that Acorn was going to be involved in the census.
Doxiegirl
You better be careful or the next thing you know you will be accused of being me.
Since the census is so critical I wonder if the county is going to allocate funds toward insuring a complete count occurs.
As for the political maneuvering, could you give some examples instead of alluding to behind the scene conspiracies. We all know that there are a lot of conspiracies going on, especially with those darn post offices and their zip codes, but I do not consider that politics. Just another example of a failed monopoly.
And what is a doxie?
Well I'm going to guess that since the google search found only foxnews and then various right wing blogs, that it's not entirely true or a way to get people to not participate in the census. What's really sad is that the Republicans don't want this since the Democrats are in power and therefore will redraw more lines for voting. Once again power is the only goal and any benefits from the census be damned. Truly truly sad.
Your logic on this is flawed. Truly truly sad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well I'm going to guess that since the google search found only foxnews and then various right wing blogs, that it's not entirely true or a way to get people to not participate in the census. What's really sad is that the Republicans don't want this since the Democrats are in power and therefore will redraw more lines for voting. Once again power is the only goal and any benefits from the census be damned. Truly truly sad.