• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mike Huckabee’s role in pushing controversial beach access law

New posts

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Mike Huckabee’s role in pushing controversial beach access law

Newly-released emails show an exchange between the former Arkansas governor and a key senator.

KeelerBetterSign.jpg


A beach sign in Destin [Scott Keeler - Times]
By Steve Bousquet
9/10/2018

Scott skipped a planned campaign stop in Walton County on Sunday to avoid protesters who oppose his stand on the issue.

On Jan. 12, Huckabee wrote an email to Passidomo, thanking her for her sponsorship of a bill "involving the customary use abuse by Walton Co."

"I'm one of those beachfront owners whose title goes to mean high water line," he wrote. "Walton Co. taxes me on that property and I pay handsomely for it! I actually don't mind people who simply want to enjoy the beach and certainly not walk on or past. … What beachfront owners object to is illegal taking of taxed and titled property without compensation or even consideration. In fact, we are demonized as 'greedy, selfish and rich' owners who want to deprive the poor of their 'rights.'


Here's more of Huckabee's email to Passidomo.

Huckabeeemail.jpg


In reply, Passidomo called customary use a "contentious issue" and said there has been a lot of confusion and misunderstanding about it.

"What happened in Walton County seems to me to be the county acting as prosecutor, judge and jury, all for the county's benefit," Passidomo wrote.

In response, Huckabee wrote back to Passidomo and said: "Either private property rights mean something or they don't. I'm genuinely thankful that you are fighting this battle."

Santa Rosa Beach attorney Daniel Uhlfelder, a leader of Florida Beaches for All, a local group that wants to preserve beach use, said Huckabee's view is wrong. "It's not a private property rights issue," Uhlfelder said. "It's about the use of beaches."
https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/09/10/mike-huckabees-role-in-pushing-for-controversial-beach-access-law/
 
I know that Huckabee has neighbors who are not happy with the gaudy mansion he built with the giant walls around the property and the glaring lights that violate the lighting ordinance. Maybe some of his neighbors are messing wit him.

We know that tourists can be a bit of a problem on our beaches but he is on a very quiet stretch. Hmmmm ....
 
Or maybe he's just lying about the extent of this "abuse"...just a family trait?
 
Can someone find out when he got quiet title to the dry sand he does NOT pay taxes on.

The fact he was a man of God is what makes this totally disgusting. That is why I can get over this.

I kinda doubt about the condoms etc - just a ploy to privatize the beach he paid $100 to quiet title.
 
I kinda doubt about the condoms etc - just a ploy to privatize the beach he paid $100 to quiet title.

I can betcha the condom quote is probably correct. I`ve found many used condoms on our community gazebo on many occasions. There are disgusting people who use our beaches and have no respect for anybody`s property.
There is one topic that was touched on that seems to be forgotten in all this CU hoopla. There are all the PUBLIC beach access STILL open to the PUBLIC. This whole issue is making it sound as if the PUBLIC beach access are becoming privatized. That is what makes me so frustrated over this whole issue.
 
Public accesses are being shut down through quiet title. And the county has not stepped up to challenge them. My question is have these quiet title proceedings been advertised correctly and the affected neighbors been notified correctly?
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top