• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Walton County Votes to Keep Confederate Flag Flying

New posts

Matt J

SWGB
A motion to remove the confederate flag from in front of the Walton County Courthosue failed by a vote of 3-2 at Tuesday’s Commission meeting.

Commissioners Tony Anderson and Bill Chapman voted for the removal, and Commissioners Danny Glidewell, Melanie Nipper, and Trey Nick voted against it.

Across the country, people have been calling for the removal of confederacy related monuments and symbols, in the wake of the recent notable deaths of African Americans.

In DeFuniak Springs, people are also asking county leaders to make some changes.

"We are dependent upon you all to do what's right," said Anthony Johnson, a Walton County Resident.

At Tuesday’s commission meeting, locals asked the commissioners to remove the confederate flag and memorial from outside the courthouse. “That flag has always been a symbol of hatred, racism, bigotry, and prejudice,” said Johnson.

Other locals said the flag and the memorial should stay. "It's military, these were veterans of a war, and they fought under a different flag, so that flag is representing them in the afterlife, it's honoring their service," said Stephen McBroom, a Walton County Resident.

Commissioners were divided on the issue, which was brought up in 2015, and put up to a vote in 2018. Chapman said "things have changed in the last two years," to which Glidewell responded, "That doesn't mean you can ignore the will of the people."

"I'm military through and through... that's all I'm going to say," said Nipper.

"When do we start rewriting history?" asked Nick.

"I really think we need to honor this flag and monument by having it at the battlefield," Anderson said.

They ultimately decided by a 3-2 vote not to remove the flag. "I spent 50 years fighting this, and I've got children, a son and a grandson, and for the sake of them the fight must continue," said George Hogans, a Walton County Resident.

In 2018 commissioners allowed the citizens of Walton County to vote on the flag. They voted to keep it.

Walton County Commissioners vote to keep confederate flag flying in front of courthouse
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've wondered when we lose interest in coming to the beach. Thought it would be cost and/or crowds. This might do it. Extremely disappointing. We're booked this year and one time next year. Hate driving through that little town in Alabama with the flags flying. Do these people know what slavery was? It wasn't people sharecropping. It was people being sold and families split up. And worse. Ellen
 
Didn't the citizens vote on this a couple of years ago? I thought that passed with about 65% voting to keep it.
 
Didn't the citizens vote on this a couple of years ago? I thought that passed with about 65% voting to keep it.
Yes it is the last line of the article. Proof that most voters of Walton County are still stuck in the past and uneducated and unaware. Soon they will die off and this will no longer be HuckabeeTrump country.
 
What bothers me are the words "AND MONUMENT." If it's just the flag, I have softened my stance on that and really think that replacing it with the State of Florida flag would be just as well and not divisive. But do NOT touch the Monument.
And, the BCC didn't vote on the Monument...just the flag.
 
I am confident that Walton County will remove the confederate flag and monument from the courthouse someday. It will take some business opportunity to make it happen. It may not happen soon or for the right reasons. But it will happen.
 
I applaud Walton County for keeping the Confederate Flag and the Confederate Monuments. I realize my perspective as a white male will be different than those who have not had the privileges of my gender and race. I think it all depends on perspective. Both Robert Johnson (founder of BET) and Daryl Davis (blues musician) would likely agree with Walton County. Vandalizing and/or removing monuments does nothing to improve racism, does not erase the sins of slavery or the slaughter of a people and their culture and fails to impact the economic equality of the African American or Native American. So I accept that my opinion holds very little value but the majority opinion in this county does have value in our representative democracy. I also expect that one day ALL the Confederate Monuments and Flags will be gone but I hope it will not be in my life time because my perspective is what it is...
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top