• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
No there used to be another access a little bit to the west but the residents put up a gate to their street. Yes It was done quite awhile ago.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I thought the Stallworth Access was immediately went of the intersection of Highland and South Bishop. Used to be parking there (30 years ago - great access!) But it's been inaccesible except to golf carts for years. Are we saying it's now inside the gate for Stallworth Preserve?
I'll have to drive over and look the next time I'm in the area.

And Headland Avenue in SeaHighlands s/d in Seagrove has been in contention for years now as well. I don't like the megamansions but don't take away the beach accesses too.

BeachKrab

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2018
Seagrove
upload_2020-5-6_12-6-49.jpeg

Here is a pic from a few years ago before the county fenced off the access in Seagrove at Walton Dunes. So much for the concept of keeping accesses open to the public...

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
I thought the Stallworth Access was immediately went of the intersection of Highland and South Bishop. Used to be parking there (30 years ago - great access!) But it's been inaccesible except to golf carts for years. Are we saying it's now inside the gate for Stallworth Preserve?
I'll have to drive over and look the next time I'm in the area.

And Headland Avenue in SeaHighlands s/d in Seagrove has been in contention for years now as well. I don't like the megamansions but don't take away the beach accesses too.
Beach Highlands Access is the one outside the gate you refer to. Stallworth Preserve Access is inside the gate.

South Walton Beach, Bay & Lake Accesses

The county still has Stallworth Preserve Access in inventory but it is inaccessible. Perhaps the gate should come down.

I am glad we have been adding access and parking recently but we are also losing access. Also I don't like that we can't park on road shoulders in many places in South Walton. A group of neighbors gets together and puts no parking signs and barriers on our easements. That is not right and we shouldn't allow it. We have the funds and the reasons to add proper parking along our roads, especially near accesses.

BeachKrab

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2018
Seagrove
Walton Dunes is about to be developed with parking and restrooms.
Yes it is. So why block the access? It’s been this way for 2-3 years now. Supposedly it was done to product the very dunes that will be destroyed for the bathroom? More asinine/bi-polar behavior of our BCC....

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Stallworth Preserve put up a gate and denied access to the public.

View attachment 83472
The county owns 2.6 acres at the end of Stallworth Blvd abutting Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. This can be one of the finest beach accesses in SoWal with room for restrooms and parking.

Questions:
1. why is there a gate blocking access to this public parcel?
2. why is there not a developed county beach access on the parcel?
3. why is there no mention of it when the county is furiously trying to buy and develop beach accesses?

sp.png

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Yes it is. So why block the access? It’s been this way for 2-3 years now. Supposedly it was done to product the very dunes that will be destroyed for the bathroom? More asinine/bi-polar behavior of our BCC....
The plans for an access have been up in the air. Dunes need to be protected. Even if it is right up until the time they are leveled. Using words like bipolar and asinine is not helpful. It makes you part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
There is a lawsuit now challenging the county commission's approval of beach access improvements at Walton Dunes.
Looked pretty weak and a clear case of NIMBY but also very disappointing nothing can be done anymore without beach owners complaining. Or people in general.