• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beach closed?

New posts
Wow nodilberthere, not fond of the touristas? I was at the 83 and Walline accesses, all closed up. SJ, I understand the red flags, but to close off parking at accesses? I know emergency situations often times require some advance planning, and I know common sense might keep me off the beach during the high point of a storm, but don,t I have to take responsibility for my own security without someone (govt.) restricting my access to the beach? How come Grayton wasn't closed? I know you can'y keep stupid folks out of the gulf even on double reds, but I noticed the cones didn,t keep folks off the beach. If it's a BEACH liability issue, why weren't private accesses blocked as well? Sure is a beautiful day today. Dissapointed that Obama didn't pick Herschel Walker for VP though, oh well....
 
truluv, this is the first I've heard that parking lots at the regional public accesses were closed. I think that is just wrong, personally.

I am still confused. In post #10, I am reading that the "beach" was closed. I've never heard of the beach being closed. Not during any previous storms has that happened, and if that was true, why did the Sheriff's Deputy not say anything to me when he passed me on the beach yesterday, at Grayton? To my knowledge, the beach was never closed, only the water was closed.
 
There are other people here other than tourists! The flags are in place. The signs are in place. If you want safety that bad, maybe we should all be under curfew like children! What is interesting is that blocking the access blocks the locals who have a right to experience the beach and its weather, and the surfers who have the right to ride the waves. Left in place are the tourists with money. Keep in mind that surfers and locals have saved more people than lifeguards. Be careful what you wish for! For safety, are you willing to give up freedom? I am not!

As a local, I am sure you know of many non-TDC access points that are wide open at all times. I saw quite a few surfers at the Inlet Beach public access today. I also saw three fools swimming. Darned if they do, darned if they don't.
 
I'm telling you...our government is growing in order to keep up and "protect" us from ourselves!!!! :roll:

Whatever happened to those sweet little words....

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY?????
 
Last edited:
As a local, I am sure you know of many non-TDC access points that are wide open at all times. I saw quite a few surfers at the Inlet Beach public access today. I also saw three fools swimming. Darned if they do, darned if they don't.


I just really think we do not have to have so many rules. Put the flags up, educate and hope for the best. You can not police stupidity or ignorance!
 
Public servants will still be required to serve the public even when the factors giving rise to the need for that service are precipitated by ignorance or stupidity. We can't just put up the flags and signs and hope for the best. We will still have to send people into the water to rescue folks who need rescuing. (or body recovery, as is the case from time to time).

Because I am not personally involved in the process, I can only guess that closing the parking and public accesses was an attempt to keep uneducated, ignorant or stupid people (mostly tourist I would think) out of the water. I doubt that this action was designed to address those of us who know better than to swim in double red conditions.;-)

I think there is a legitimate concern also, that not closing the public accesses prior to almost certain impending damage and destruction could be a liability to the entity tasked with the safe upkeep and maintenance of those access. (remember how many accesses were either damaged or completely destroyed in every serious storm we have ever had).

Having said all of this, I do realize that there is an inconvenience issue for those of us who have a brain but still want to enjoy our favorite beach during this beautifully intense weather. But overall, I think the benefit out ways the cost on this one. Also, just speaking for myself of coarse, being a local, If I want to be on the beach, tape won't stop me.:biggrin:
 
I'm telling you...our government is growing in order to keep up and "protect" us from ourselves!!!! :roll:

Whatever happened to those sweet little words....

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY?????
Haven't you noticed? They no longer are applicable. And this time I'm not going to get so close to your litter box.:blush:
 
Over to the west, back when Ivan was starting to put feeder bands into the area, we stopped over at Wayside Park on Okaloosa Island on the way back from FWB to have a look at things, and got chased out of there by the Okaloosa SO, who told us that the park was closed and that they were locking everything up once the cars were out of there because the Island was under a mandatory evacuation.

So I don't see closing beach accesses in advance of a storm as some sort of ground-breaking insult, just maybe a bit of an overreaction for a storm that was never supposed to be as bad as that.
 
Do you believe you have more of a right to walk and look at the beach than the dirty filthy idiot tourists who spend their evil blood money in your community?

Not at all. I didn't call the tourists idiots, thats your add. It is however, the tourist who drowns! Absent lifeguards, the local surfer is his best hope. Every time a tourist drowns there is a push for a new wave of restriction. The local beach people know the water, and know better than rush to meet king Neptune!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top