• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beach closed?

New posts
To clarify my earlier post, when the EOC makes the determination that the water is closed in an impending storm, the public accesses are closed. In most cases (all that I am aware of), it includes the closing of walkovers and parking areas. I am not aware of the Grayton drive on area ever being closed. One thing to keep in mind since hindsight is always 20-20, at 4pm on Friday, the EOC made the decision to close the water and thus the public accesses with the following information.

As of 7am on Friday, there was expected to be sustained winds of more than 30mph with gusts exceeding 40 and the winds expecting to increase throughout the morning daylight hours. Moreover, there were going to be a tremendous amount of rain with this storm. Both of these together can make the accesses slippery and unsafe. Their decision with the input of all the other public safety groups was to close the water and begin securing the accesses the night before to limit problems in the morning. As some of you have pointed out in the past and with this storm also, if she would have stayed further offshore or done like Opal there could have been greater intensification and no way to close things off.

As a side note, I was involved in a mediation where a 60+ year old lady climbed onto the access at Ed Walline when it was raining and wet from Tropical Storm Isidore. She then was hit with a gust of wind and slipped and fell down and was injured. The kicker to it all was that the access was closed. So just saying personal responsibility is not realistic in todays litigious society. You have to make public safety decisions the best you can and that's what they do.
 
Jack, how about the locals need to set a proper example. While you may think that you know the water so well that you are exempt from the rules of the masses, understand that when the uneducated see you out there, they are left with what other impression than it is OK to head right out there and join you.
Now, who has just become responsible for someone elses stupidity.....the follower......or maybe the leader.

I understand the desire to ride the waves when they are what you want, but the safety of the masses may need to outweigh the desire of the few.
 
... The kicker to it all was that the access was closed. So just saying personal responsibility is not realistic in todays litigious society. You have to make public safety decisions the best you can and that's what they do.


Very well put. Thank you.
 
... I understand the desire to ride the waves when they are what you want, but the safety of the masses may need to outweigh the desire of the few.

I am not sure I am on this train.

Surfers are "leashed" to a flotation device (their board). I don't see the logic behind a tourist seeing a surfer on a board in rough seas and subsequently thinking that because the surfer is OK, he is going to be OK. That seems a little like someone thinking it would be OK to jump out of an airplane without a chute because they saw how much fun skydivers had.

Maybe my example is a little extreme but, I believe (with respect) that maybe your point is a bit of a stretch as well.
 
I am not sure I am on this train.

Surfers are "leashed" to a flotation device (their board). I don't see the logic behind a tourist seeing a surfer on a board in rough seas and subsequently thinking that because the surfer is OK, he is going to be OK. That seems a little like someone thinking it would be OK to jump out of an airplane without a chute because they saw how much fun skydivers had.

Maybe my example is a little extreme but, I believe (with respect) that maybe your point is a bit of a stretch as well.
Holy crapola!!!! I thought you were completely out of your mind on the other thread but I couldn't agree with you more on this one. Sorry to piss ya off the other day I'm not all ways polite. It is true however that people find a comfort seeing surfers out there and they are drawn to the spot we are surfing in like honey. We usually surf right next to a rip current so we don't have to expend as much energy paddling out. Oh yea no thanks on the xanex or whatever it was and yes I am employed!:biggrin:
 
Last edited:
Wow nodilberthere, not fond of the touristas? I was at the 83 and Walline accesses, all closed up. SJ, I understand the red flags, but to close off parking at accesses? I know emergency situations often times require some advance planning, and I know common sense might keep me off the beach during the high point of a storm, but don,t I have to take responsibility for my own security without someone (govt.) restricting my access to the beach? How come Grayton wasn't closed? I know you can'y keep stupid folks out of the gulf even on double reds, but I noticed the cones didn,t keep folks off the beach. If it's a BEACH liability issue, why weren't private accesses blocked as well? Sure is a beautiful day today. Dissapointed that Obama didn't pick Herschel Walker for VP though, oh well....


I am a tourist. I live far far away from there. I have seen so many posts referring to tourists as idiots that I couldn't hold it in any longer. I've seen things written that are so mean spirited, it's shocking. Thinning of the herd, more room in the car on the way home, they deserved it......all referring to people who've lost their lives on the beaches there and left behind loved ones to mourn.

Someone not from there does not realize the magnitude of your flag system. I know how crucial it is because I come on here. We have visited many years now. But I know that people who visit rarely and don't read this kind of stuff do not know how many people drown on the beaches there.
 
Holy crapola!!!! I thought you were completely out of your mind on the other thread but I couldn't agree with you more on this one. Sorry to piss ya off the other day I'm not all ways polite. It is true however that people find a comfort seeing surfers out there and they are drawn to the spot we are surfing in like honey. We usually surf right next to a rip current so we don't have to expend as much energy paddling out. Oh yea no thanks on the xanex or whatever it was and yes I am employed!:biggrin:


Holy crapola... you have stated in previous post a month or so ago that there is no such thing as a "rip current"

I didn't think you would take searove girl or profire up on there offer, it is easier to use the keyboard as a "bully pulpit" and think that your loosly written resume on the double red thread would cause us all to start lighting your reputation up with thank you... I read the coast guard creed and suggest you revisit it again.
 
Holy crapola... you have stated in previous post a month or so ago that there is no such thing as a "rip current"

I didn't think you would take searove girl or profire up on there offer, it is easier to use the keyboard as a "bully pulpit" and think that your loosly written resume on the double red thread would cause us all to start lighting your reputation up with thank you... I read the coast guard creed and suggest you revisit it again.
Whatever dude! Everyone knows where to find me! As far as the rip current thing it's for the ill informed. Looking back to a month ago tells me you have a lot of time on your hands you must be on the county payroll.
 
GRS, I have no idea where to find you. Do you really believe that soapbox has some mystical light shining on it or something?

My whole post was an attempt to ask you to look beyond what you see in the mirror and consider that there are people who are nowhere near as connected to beach thinking as you are and consider their safety.

Perhaps I would get further by asking you to consider finding someplace not so populated by those who do not understand the flag system, do not make the connection between a surf board and just swimming and may be trusting the locals to determine safe conditions.

I will let someone else come on to suggest where ego will perhaps get in the way of making this a consideration.

Sorry for this coming across as a slam. I am sure you are right that conditions for surfers are way different than swimmers. I promise you, people are not making this distinction and are drowning for it.

I will add for those reading that I have walked the beach and picked up that precious thread between you and your board no less than 20 times in just the past year. It happens.

Please stay safe out there.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top