• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beach angel

Beach Comber
Mar 2, 2009
It's funny to me how this devolved into the old cars versus road bikes issue. The issue at hand was a pedestrian trying to cross the road who was rudely shouted at to move as they had the right of way. That is incorrect and if it's the same group I encountered the other day in the Wheel House area then they should be smacked.

There seems to be a "leader" who constantly stays out in traffic riding more than one abreast. This is not only illegal, but unsafe. I don't care how much your bike costs, you've trained, or you think you have some sort of right; if you can't obey the simple basics of safe bicycling on a ROAD then you don't deserve any respect.

Respect those around you and be amazed at the return.

thanks swgb!

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
interesting post, treefrog. the original was edited down to an exclamation point because swgb kindly warned me that response would get nasty. and the first nasty response was yours!!

swgb was again correct in his post to which you respond here - so thanks to him yet again.

I thought I was getting senile, thanks for the explanation.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I only clarified before this turned into a shouting match over who was a troll and who wasn't.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
interesting post, treefrog. the original was edited down to an exclamation point because swgb kindly warned me that response would get nasty. and the first nasty response was yours!!

swgb was again correct in his post to which you respond here - so thanks to him yet again.

Once again Avenger, apologies for my first post.

Last edited:
no no - i was TRULY thanking swgb for the heads up. i deleted my original post, but had to have at least one character left in - hence the "!"

er - i don't think anyone wants to know what i think about the "lance armstrong" types, or anyone else. thanks for the post - and to everyone else who posted something nice. merry Christmas!

Every time someone starts in on the cyclists they have the obligatory "Lance Armstrong Types" :dunno:

So when we see a group of guys playing 3 on 3 basketball all dressed in Nike they are "Michael Jordan Types" :dunno:

When we see a couple of guys playing tennis, dressed up in Nike, they are "Roger Federer Types" :roll:

When we see guys playing golf, all dressed up in their Nike gear they are "Tiger Woods Types" ??? wait.... maybe that was a bad example because not everyone can get a hot sweed chasing them with a nine iron so lets go with "Phil Mickelson Types" :roll:

Of course when we see a someone snowboarding and drinking Mountain Dew they are... You guessed it "Shaun White Types" :roll::roll::roll:

When we see guys dressed in their FL jerseys, sitting on the couch because they have no prayer of actually running up and down a 100 yard field without going into cardiac arrest they are "Tim Tebow Types" :roll:

:scratch: This could be a really fun game. What other popular sports do people participate in and wear the appropriate gear that would make them that Sport's Hero Type?

WAIT! When we see a couple of hot chicks playing volley ball at the beach and dressed up in Nike "Gabriel Reese Types" :love:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I have no problem with how old your car or bike is. I don't care how much they cost or what tag you have on it. I do care when I am early to work and enjoying the beautiful ride down 30A until I get behind a bunch of bikes who think I am on vacation and have all the time in the world. I shouldn't have to leave an hour early to make a less than half hour ride. The same goes for the car on 331 that rides the center line at 37 MPH and speeds up to 55 when there is nothing coming and your in a passing zone!
I thought this thread showing up today was pretty funny because just after lunch we were driving past Water Color behind two bikes. They blew through the stop sign and never slowed down.
Three years ago a bike rider at the same spot got irate at us because my husband narrowly missed running over him when he passed us at a stop sign and blew through it. Husband yelled out the window as a, no thought involved, reaction to a stupid situation. Both men said things they shouldn't have and it was just ugly. Bike guy was right, he has a right to the road but husband was right too. It would have ruined his day and bumper if he had hit the guy. He shouldn't have breezed past us and through the stop sign. Happy safe traveling to all!

I know you are exaggerating when you say you have to leave an hour early. No bikes on the road are going to delay you more than a few minutes. Please slow down and be thankful you are lucky enough to be driving to work on a State Scenic Highway instead of a polluted expressway. :D

A lot of people learned to ride bikes as kids and stop signs were ignored and always will be. They are not going to suddenly follow the rules of the road because you are annoyed. It is you who must be the adult and stop yourself from injuring or killing them. If you are in a car with someone who is shouting at bikers, then you just may be in the wrong car. :scratch:

When we see guys dressed in their FL jerseys, sitting on the couch because they have no prayer of actually running up and down a 100 yard field without going into cardiac arrest they are "Tim Tebow Types" :roll:

Yes :lol:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
There seems to be a huge number of both bikers and drivers here that can't figure out the rules of 4 way stops! I don't expect bikes to even stop anymore, and every other car can't figure out their turn.

Love the SWHS kid who flipped me off the other day at 30A and 283 after he couldn't figure out the 4 way stop rules. Little jerk in training.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I know you are exaggerating when you say you have to leave an hour early. No bikes on the road are going to delay you more than a few minutes. Please slow down and be thankful you are lucky enough to be driving to work on a State Scenic Highway instead of a polluted expressway. :D

A lot of people learned to ride bikes as kids and stop signs were ignored and always will be. They are not going to suddenly follow the rules of the road because you are annoyed. It is you who must be the adult and stop yourself from injuring or killing them. If you are in a car with someone who is shouting at bikers, then you just may be in the wrong car. :scratch:

Yes :lol:

We learned the rules and followed them all - hand signals, proper yield, etc. We didn't have helmets, rode all over town and we practiced safety.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
The problem is not with the activity, be it riding a bike or driving a car, but with the mindset that thinks they are above the laws and rules of safety and appropriate behavior.

I never blew through a stop sign on a bike and most definitely do not do it in a car. I figure people who ignore the rules of the road eventually karma gets them just as Tiger is getting his for thinking he was above the vows he took.

Last edited: