Smiling JOe
SoWal Expert
I noticed a security guard wearing a Hawaiian-looking Tommy Bahama style shirt the other day. That is so much more appropriate than the bright red, hey, look at me shirts they were wearing. Not all change is bad.
I noticed a security guard wearing a Hawaiian-looking Tommy Bahama style shirt the other day. That is so much more appropriate than the bright red, hey, look at me shirts they were wearing. Not all change is bad.

Just returned home from a great week at SOWAL--even with some bad weather on Tuesday and Wednesday, we're still awed by the beauty of this place.
Yet, after 15 years of coming down to the beach, there were changes that began to bother us.
First--what happened to Cafe Spiazzia?? What a huge hole the vacant restaurant space has left at Seaside...if this is partof the "master plan" for Seaside, then in our humble opinion, things don't bode well.There are now fewer retail shops in Seaside--with all of the little shops gone from the area around the amphitheater, there is less to do there. My fear is that 30A is becoming yet another type of gated community like the suburbs, and not an interesting and cool place to come to the beach. I live in a new urbanist community in Memphis--and our years at the gulf were one reason we chose to live in our Memphis community. We'll be back--but we do worry that the changes we're seeing are not ones that enhance and build community, but rather ones that say "go away unless you can afford a million dollar beach house."
I'm delighted to hear that a "Pizza Bar" will open in the old Cafe Spiazzia location--in many ways, this is what Cafe Spiazzia started out to do, and then it got more upscale. (I can remember standing in line in my bathing suit and flip flops to get a slice of pizza--then over the course of a few years, formal table service was introduced and it got too chi-chi to sit in your bathing suit eating pizza.)
I still think that the retail (and restaurant) side of Seaside is getting too homogenious and upscale--with stuff I'm not particularly interested in buying. New Urbanism (and my community in Harbortown, Memphis exemplifies this) means a mix of housing that permits a diversity of income brackets. I love this--my neighborhood is wonderful.) I do hope Seaside can continue this. I know that Rosemary et al offer new and different opportunities, but they don't seem the same to me.
Now my real hope is that Sundog books continues to do well--that is a treasure of a bookstore, staffed by people who actually read!

I'm delighted to hear that a "Pizza Bar" will open in the old Cafe Spiazzia location--in many ways, this is what Cafe Spiazzia started out to do, and then it got more upscale. (I can remember standing in line in my bathing suit and flip flops to get a slice of pizza--then over the course of a few years, formal table service was introduced and it got too chi-chi to sit in your bathing suit eating pizza.)
I still think that the retail (and restaurant) side of Seaside is getting too homogenious and upscale--with stuff I'm not particularly interested in buying. New Urbanism (and my community in Harbortown, Memphis exemplifies this) means a mix of housing that permits a diversity of income brackets. I love this--my neighborhood is wonderful.) I do hope Seaside can continue this. I know that Rosemary et al offer new and different opportunities, but they don't seem the same to me.
Now my real hope is that Sundog books continues to do well--that is a treasure of a bookstore, staffed by people who actually read!