• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Scoot, I belive anyone who read the Herald then are aware of the Burgress case and are informed voters. I in no way can pass on a personal opinion on the case or his choice to run for office nor did I believe my former post infered it : )

We can only know what the voters think when the election results come in : )

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
AL - I didn't mean to imply that you had an opinion or bias. :wave:

If it was rumors or an isolated mistake, the local paper couldn't do "in-depth" coverage w/o getting sued...........and wouldn't do a "recap" closer to the election for the same reason.

Plus an "isolated mistake" doesn't tend to get multiple articles either - no reader interest.

Panama Pete

Beach Comber
Feb 1, 2008
Crime = Mistake...

After conducting some research and reading through some of the posts, I guess being arrested & convicted (took a plea, if innocent why take a plea?) of a Crime equals a "mistake". With that said, should an elected official, one who is supposed to uphold the law and takes an oath be allowed to make such a "mistake"? The office is held to a higher standard, not a lower one. Sounds like the title of an old Steven Segal Movie; "ABOVE THE LAW". :angry:

In addition, this "mistake" maker is not even a Certified Law Enforcement Officer any longer. He lost his certification as part of the whole plea. If one reads the public record, it also states the Ethics Board found Probable Cause that other corrupt activities may have occurred under his mistake ridden watch. It specifically cites the logging of false over time hours which were then alleged to have been kicked back to the Chief. Sounds like a little Morris action there.:dunno:

In this time of corruption, the last thing this area needs is more attention attracted to itself due to poor pubic servants/officials running the show.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
In this time of corruption, the last thing this area needs is more attention attracted to itself due to poor pubic servants/officials running the show.

Yes, and some WC citizens would just as soon sweep things under the rug to have a friend back in office. Opening the door to one's transgressor just doesn't seem too smart.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Popular

Ray made an error in judgement, but I wouldn't call him corupt. He made a mistake, he admitted it, and now he wants another chance. I see nothing wrong with him running again.

He was a very popular Chief, and I suspect he probably will be again.;-)

Popular Chief? With whom, those who he allowed to "buy their way out" of DUI's and other criminal infractions? Give me a break.

Charlie Morris made a mistake, let's give him another chance as well.

Panama Pete

Beach Comber
Feb 1, 2008
Ha ha

:rotfl:
Another blog has an entry of this guy being said to have held on to warrants in his desk, never serving them... Selective Enforcement of the law, vote for me!!!:clap:

Panama Pete

Beach Comber
Feb 1, 2008
Down to two

I guess only two of the three candidates actually qualified for the election. This crook was one of them... This is becoming more and more like the twilight zone with corruption on all levels. Sick.

Panama Pete

Beach Comber
Feb 1, 2008
Theft and Fraud in DeFuniak Springs

Since posting a string a few weeks ago, I must say that I am surprised and concerned as to the little attention it has received on this blog. Political Issues were at one time, important to this community, especially those involving Law Enforcement.

I, as an educated voter, base my choices on fact, not emotion. I do not select candidates based on how long I have known a candidate and that my mother?s grandma?s grandma knew someone?s family from the ?old days?. Facts are important in making these decisions; I believe that they are the most important thing.

I also believe that the media and journalists have an obligation to report these facts, not spin them or avoid them. Why is it that the NW FL Daily News, a paper from Ft. Walton Beach, has covered Ray Burgess and his moral, ethical and legal troubles, yet our ?local? papers have Failed to report the facts? Is there an agenda there? Does one or both support this candidate? Where is the journalistic integrity?

Let me be one to provide you with facts, not emotion.

Complaint No. 05-110 State of Florida, In re. Ray Neal Burgess/Respondent, states:
The Respondent (Burgess) had violated Section 112.313(6) Florida Statues in two instances.

1) ?by using his position as Chief of Police of DFS to falsify FDLE officer certification records.
(This is FRAUD, Do we want someone who would ?falsify records? in a position of authority, let alone that of law enforcement?) What else would they ?falsify??

2) ?by misusing his position to solicit a subordinate officer to increase the officer?s over time hours claimed, at to allow (Burgess) to pocket the unearned overtime pay.
(This is THEFT, Theft of the citizens of DFS tax money. It is also Fraud, falsely reporting earnings. This is the same premise that Charlie Morris used to commit his Federal Crimes. What else has this candidate stolen? Maybe the Feds need to come to DFS.)

The Complaint goes on to outline other issues surrounding this candidate and their business practices. Anyone with commonsense can see, based on FACTS stated above, this man is a CRIMINAL. He can try to spin what he did any way he wants, most criminals all attempt to justify their crimes. After further investigation, it is also no surprise to me that this candidate has campaign signs in the yards of residents who are convicted felons/criminals.

As for my agenda, it is simple. Ensure quality law enforcement in our area, out those who commit fraud while in public office and provide facts to citizens when our media will not. Wake up and educate yourselves.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I have read your post and remember when this occured. Was it the current undersheriff that was involved that started all this? If this is the case, didn't he work for the current Sheriff at DFS PD?

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Pete, one thing that you might want to consider is that most of the people who actively post on this board are unable to vote or make a difference in this election. Sure, there are a few who live within the city limits of DeFuniak Springs. Lots of people from DFS do read this board, but many won't enter into a discussion. Unlike the Sheriff's race, a majority of the folks can only stand back and observe.