• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Pete, one thing that you might want to consider is that most of the people who actively post on this board are unable to vote or make a difference in this election. Sure, there are a few who live within the city limits of DeFuniak Springs. Lots of people from DFS do read this board, but many won't enter into a discussion. Unlike the Sheriff's race, a majority of the folks can only stand back and observe.

Hmmm....I was not getting any play on this on the Tampa Bay blogs either. I wonder if that is why.

Panama Pete

Beach Comber
Feb 1, 2008
I have read your post and remember when this occured. Was it the current undersheriff that was involved that started all this? If this is the case, didn't he work for the current Sheriff at DFS PD?

As for "started all this", I think that was extensively covered in posts prior to the Sheriff's Election. The person who's paperwork was altered, forged, doctored, by Ray Burgess did work at DPS PD and he now is at the SO. Regardless, Burgess committed a crime. Spin it anyway you wish. His booking photo is in Okaloosa.

Panama Pete

Beach Comber
Feb 1, 2008
Pay to Play with Ray.

I appreciate all of you attempts at humor with regards to a forum for this conversation, it basically supports my point and stance.

Does anyone care that a criminal is running for the Chief of Police in DFS? Do you? We just got rid of a terrible sheriff last year. Morris is arrested on federal charges and you all want to banter about where a proper forum is to discuss Ray Burgess and his lack of ability, integrity and morals.

Why did Northwest Florida Daily run an article and the Herald/Beach Breeze has not? Why? Does the Breeze not reach South Walton Readers? I know it does , it reaches Freeport too.

If readers think this does not effect them, they are out of touch and uninformed. Can you imagine how things would be if Ray Burgess returned to office? What a joke, it would be the joke of the panhandle. Not to mention, turn the attention of the Feds right back to Walton County. No more pay to play with Ray.

For once our local agencies are starting to act like local agencies, they communicate, partner together and work side by side. No more fighting, bickering, etc. Is this not the path we want to continue on?

Corruption has NO place here. DeFuniak Springs has dodged the bullet once when Ray was slapped on the wrist (which is what it was, a slap). Had the Feds investigated he'd be in Federal Prison.

Thank you for your comments about the proper place to post this context. I feel it is the duty of the local papers to report the news, the facts. If they fail to do so, I'll post it here.:wave:

Last edited:

Oath

Beach Comber
Mar 29, 2009

Pete:

As a registered voter, I can appreciate your attempt at calling attention to the circumstances involving Burgess and his time in office here in DeFuniak. Most of the educated voters are well aware of this activity, that documented and that which is rumored. Although I do not think many understand the full detail of what happened (crimes did occur) and how it has the potential to negatively affect us again.

Not many people read this blog site, but those who do are informed and up to speed with current goings on. You do bring up a very good point on the local paper here, the Herald, not reporting on this situation. They were quick to jump on it when it first hit the news a few years ago, running as story also in 2007.

It is my opinion, being from a small town, that the paper does not want to loose any advertising revenue during this time of politics in the City. There are several races running and each candidate has some money to spread around. The Herald wants as much as they can get and I think they'll avoid any actual reporting and investigating and just run ads. This is why I don't subscribe to them any longer...

I feel your pain.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Maybe Pete's focus in this thread was the local newspaper, and it's lack (in Panama Pete's view, I don't have enough information to have an opinion on that subject) of coverage of the issue. The media issue seems pertinent to the SoWal community, imho.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The Herald covered the Burgess story in-depth as it transpired and I expect a recap to be assigned as the city election draws closer. Not to sound gruff, most everyone in Dfs that gets to vote are well aware of this issue.

Doesn't seem they are ignoring it at all. :dunno:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Hmmm....I was not getting any play on this on the Tampa Bay blogs either. I wonder if that is why.

lol...but hey, you never know. Over the weekend I had a reminder of just how small this county actually is. :blush:

Panama Pete

Beach Comber
Feb 1, 2008
Clairify

Doesn't seem they are ignoring it at all. :dunno:

Let me clairify for U. The Herald did report on Burgess being removed from Office years ago. The only reported on the fact that he was found guilty of the ethics violation surrounding the fraud, altering the FDLE Document. No recent articles have been reported, this would seem to me like timly news as a man Removed From Office by The Governor is running for the same position, again.

What they failed to report, and continue to fail to report, is that the Ethics Commission found Probable Cause and Cited Ray Burgess for also elisting an employee to submit false over time slips, thus paying the employee for false OT. The money was then reported to be given to Burgess by said employee. This is all documented in the Ethics Report, any news agency worth their salt can find this. Hell, NWFL Daily found it, probably because it is just what Charlie Morris was doing.... I am certain that most DFS Residents do not know about this. If they do, they must condone it as several have signs in their yards for Burgess.

I am very disapointed in the Herald for its failure to report news with regards to this candidate. Ray Burgess is a criminal. He has no business in public office, let alone a law enforcement position. It is the duty of the paper to educate the citizens in matters such as this. It is not their duty to stand by idle and wait for candidates to purchase ads and generate revenue. Burgess has zero qualifications and he is not even a certified law enforcement officer. Does no one else see this? Or do you just not care?