• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Debate Analysis and Opinions

New posts
So then we agree that Obama is not a normal regular person?
This is great news because like I said-
we don't need another normal regular person in the White House...

Yea look where that got us....let's elect another perpetual war machine and his Annie Oakley cohort!
 
I have read way more about Sarah Palin than is healthy, I admit. But it is clear that everything revolves about her, she tells small lies and whoppers with total ease, and she is not interested in working with people who do not make her own interests a priority. Troopergate is a small but important and possibly devastating example. I do not want that woman anywhere near the White House. I think I am being rational. At first I thought she was interesting. Now I just think she is scary.
This is exactly how I feel about Obama. When he came on the scene I was....wow...who is this guy? But now, I think he is scary... I mean do we REALLY know who he is???

your analogy is way off. just does not work.

Obama went into this race as a politician from the state and national level and pursued his interest in being president. yes, its been a long interview. and he's worked very hard to articulate to every american why he's prepared. He has spoken in every kind of format imaginable to let you get to know his leadership and other qualifications. He does not crumble under the pressure and he represents the interests of all americans, not just a certain segment.
I know you love your candidate but honestly do you believe this? I don't believe that any politician represents the interests of all Americans... wouldn't you agree???:idontno:


I disagree wholeheartedly skunky. hate is very strong. how can you hate someone you don't even know? we had dinner last night with friends who all had plenty to say about the Palin subject - observations, thoughts, feelings, disgust, funny stuff, etc. not one person could bear the thought of her in the white house. every single one of us agreed that it was a total pucked up situation with her on a presidential ticket seemingly at the top of the ticket. but, it was friends sharing thoughts about a candidate. hate never entered into anything about her. we strongly disagree with the Palin pick, we strongly disagree with her qualification. we do not know her personally. hate is reserved for someone you know very, very well who has earned such a strong emotion. Palin does not qualify even for hate.

hate? no. concern for mccain's decision making process in selecting her, and her potential presence in the white house? absolutely.

I mean really. we all live in a very beautiful slice of heaven on earth. life is far too short to let hate of anything or anyone enter into our beings. beleive me when i say this: many of us are very concerned about someone like Palin even having a chance at being in the white house. none of our lives depend on the outcome (but the quality of our lives will be at stake). the point is - it is kept in perspective. even if she ends up in the white house, we'll still protect our quality of life, enjoy our rather insultated community of friends and do what we've done the last 8 years - talk and share our concerns but always remember what is important - and that is our family and friends. our community. no one can take those things away. but hatred can.
Tootsie, I can always tell that you think about what you post and I really appreciate it. I do. Reading the above post is interesting b/c it is just how me and some of my friends talk but it is about Obama instead of Palin. I feel that she at least has come out and shown us her cards while I fear that Obama has many an Ace hid up his sleeve. It is the unknown that scares me most.
 
This is exactly how I feel about Obama. When he came on the scene I was....wow...who is this guy? But now, I think he is scary... I mean do we REALLY know who he is???

I know you love your candidate but honestly do you believe this? I don't believe that any politician represents the interests of all Americans... wouldn't you agree???:idontno:


Tootsie, I can always tell that you think about what you post and I really appreciate it. I do. Reading the above post is interesting b/c it is just how me and some of my friends talk but it is about Obama instead of Palin. I feel that she at least has come out and shown us her cards while I fear that Obama has many an Ace hid up his sleeve. It is the unknown that scares me most.

IBD: can you share thoughts on the issues she stands for that you support...in the thread that Scotterbug started?
 
IBD: can you share thoughts on the issues she stands for that you support...in the thread that Scotterbug started?
:lol: you know, I read it and I am not sure I want to throw myself into that pit of vipers tonight...
 
Tootsie, I can always tell that you think about what you post and I really appreciate it. I do. Reading the above post is interesting b/c it is just how me and some of my friends talk but it is about Obama instead of Palin. I feel that she at least has come out and shown us her cards while I fear that Obama has many an Ace hid up his sleeve. It is the unknown that scares me most.

I understand this and so I have been reading what I can about Obama. What I tend to look for is direct quotes and observations from people who know or have dealt with him in some way, published in national newspapers or magazines. Direct quotes are not innuendo; these people are going on record in a major publication and that is a big deal.

What I have read over and over again, from both black and white people, repubs and dems, supporters and not, is that Obama is

1) ambitious (let's just get that out of the way - it's obvious)
2) smart and a problem solver
3) likes to gather information from a variety of sources
4) is not hesitant to take control of a situation
5) maneuvered his way through the Chicago political maelstrom and came out pretty unscathed -- the Ayers ties are truly weak
6) is consistently respectful of others and rarely gets angry
7) is controlled in a Tiger Woods-like way
8) actively seeks opinions from those who disagree with him and
9) may be the most astute politician of our time.

How he would lead is in question -- how could it not be? While Obama does indeed have a very liberal voting record, I have read several comments from people describing ways in which he is much more conservative than the typical liberal. However, while in the Senate he has not officially joined forces with the more conservative Democrat cliques. He is no socialist -- can't afford to be. All first term presidents immediately begin workng toward earning a second term, so I believe he would be very pragmatic in his approach to the early problems, and there will be many.

I believe in pendulum swings and moderation and think that it's a good time to see what Obama can do. But I would also like to see so-called traditional or 'true' conservatives regain a voice. We need lots of good dialogue and pragmatism right now. I am too jaded to expect it but it sure would be good to see.
 
:lol: you know, I read it and I am not sure I want to throw myself into that pit of vipers tonight...

So you won't share your thoughts on your candidates' stance on issues but you are posting about Hannity's "Obama and Friends Radicalism" lame smearfest special???

:idontno:
 
Last edited:
I understand this and so I have been reading what I can about Obama. What I tend to look for is direct quotes and observations from people who know or have dealt with him in some way, published in national newspapers or magazines. Direct quotes are not innuendo; these people are going on record in a major publication and that is a big deal.

What I have read over and over again, from both black and white people, repubs and dems, supporters and not, is that Obama is

1) ambitious (let's just get that out of the way - it's obvious)
2) smart and a problem solver
3) likes to gather information from a variety of sources
4) is not hesitant to take control of a situation
5) maneuvered his way through the Chicago political maelstrom and came out pretty unscathed -- the Ayers ties are truly weak
6) is consistently respectful of others and rarely gets angry
7) is controlled in a Tiger Woods-like way
8) actively seeks opinions from those who disagree with him and
9) may be the most astute politician of our time.

How he would lead is in question -- how could it not be? While Obama does indeed have a very liberal voting record, I have read several comments from people describing ways in which he is much more conservative than the typical liberal. However, while in the Senate he has not officially joined forces with the more conservative Democrat cliques. He is no socialist -- can't afford to be. All first term presidents immediately begin workng toward earning a second term, so I believe he would be very pragmatic in his approach to the early problems, and there will be many.

I believe in pendulum swings and moderation and think that it's a good time to see what Obama can do. But I would also like to see so-called traditional or 'true' conservatives regain a voice. We need lots of good dialogue and pragmatism right now. I am too jaded to expect it but it sure would be good to see.
So you won't share your thoughts on your candidates' stance on issues but you are posting about Hannity's "Obama and Friends Radicalism" lame smearfest special???

:idontno:
I have not watched the "smearfest special" yet. I am guessing the only conversations I will have about it are with the people who pm me. Come on Geo, there are mannnnnnnnny more smearfest threads about Palin than Obama. We gotta try to at least make it even...;-)

As far as me posting about every single thing that I like about MCCain (or it seems Palin as that is what people are so worked up about) why? so that any poster who does so can get pounced on?? I mean if I said that I liked her b/c of her Christian views then BAM, I get attacked. If I like her b/c she is in favor of drilling then BAM, I get attacked. I have posted my personal views on this board before and I did not like the outcome. People are more venemous now that they were 6 -12 months ago. :wave:
 
Is not hesitant to take control: Obama's present vote on:

PRESENT" To restrict the location of buildings with "adult" uses (meaning pornographic video stores, strip clubs, etc.) within 1,000 feet of any public or private elementary or secondary school, public park, place or worship, preschool, day-care facility, mobile park or residential area. SB 609 (20


Parents, does this not bother you?
 
Last edited:
I guess I could change that to add women - does this not bother you?

This should bother you as well. Prostitution, drugs, promoting addictions - all of these occur in greater numbers around these establishments. To not take a stand on this issue means what? Pandering to whom and who is not being protected - our children?
 
Normal, regular people are those who do not have connections to unrepentent terrorists........................
.
LIE: Obama and Ayers 'palled around' and have a meaningful relationship.
FACT: Multiple independent fact checkers and investigative reporters have concluded that the link between Obama and Ayers is "tenuous" and that there is "no evidence of any relationship."

--AP: Palin Claim unsubstantiated, Obama was a child at the time of bombs and he has denounced Ayers radicalism. "[T]hough she may have scored a political hit each time, her attack was unsubstantiated... Obama, who was a child when the Weathermen were planting bombs, has denounced Ayers' radical views and actions." [10/5/08]

--CNN Fact Check: Obama and Ayers Are Not "Palling Around." "Verdict: False. There is no indication that Ayers and Obama are now 'palling around,' or that they have had an ongoing relationship in the past three years." [10/5/08]

--MNSBC: "Obama was never 'palling around' with Ayers." "But as the New York Times reported today, Obama was never "palling around" with Ayers. "A review of records of the schools project and interviews with a dozen people who know both men, suggest that Mr. Obama, 47, has played down his contacts with Mr. Ayers, 63. But the two men do not appear to have been close. Nor has Mr. Obama ever expressed sympathy for the radical views and actions of Mr. Ayers, whom he has called 'somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago, when I was 8.'" [10/4/08]

--Washington Post: Obama-Ayers Link "Is A Tenuous One." The Washington Post reported in a fact check that "the Obama-Ayers link is a tenuous one." [Washington Post, 2/18/08]

--Time: Making An Issue Of Obama's Relationship With Ayers And Dohrn Is "Absurd." "Those have been the options in the debate. But the truth is a third option: Ayers and Dohrn are despicable, and yet making an issue of Obama's relationship with them is absurd." [Time, 5/29/08]

for more comments from investigative reports:.http://time-blog.com/real_clear_politics/2008/10/obama_camp_challenging_mccain.html#more



.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top