• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Re: Next Sheriff

Thanks for the reply, Dennis. That is the first time that someone has been able to explain the difference between the two types of trespass to me, and it does answer one of my questions.

I don't like the other part of the answer, though I realize that is probably the common answer.

Dennis Wise

Beach Lover
Nov 15, 2006

I have not heard any of the candidates talk about the "black-hole" we have in our local system in regards to child abuse and domestic violence. A few months ago there was an article in the Walton Sun about a luncheon that was held to try and look into a domestic violence shelter here in Walton County. After talking to some who attended it was a good luncheon for meet and great, but not alot truly accomplished. By April, 2007 there was already more reported DV cases than all 2006 put together. Enough with the DUI's and Drugs...how about some social services out of the Walton County Sherriff's Dept. There isn't even a DV Advocate within the Department! Black-Hole...women and children..they need representation as well as tourism, drugs, and alcohol. South Florida does a great job upholding some of the toughest DV Laws in the country..we are missing the boat in a deadly manner here in the panhandle!

As I stated in my first post, my wife and I intend to give substantial donations to "Women and Children in Distress" and if there is anything that I can do personally as sheriff to help in this matter, I will definitely do everything within the law to ensure the safety of the abused women and children! It is one of my main concerns, as my objective is to protect and serve. During my 35 yrs. in law enforcement, I have seen first hand the abuse to women and children in the counties I worked for. That is why I support 'The Women (and Children) In Distress' organization for their wonderful work. It is extremely important for women to have a safe haven to escape from their abuser! Law enforcement can only act after we are notified. I feel there is a strong need for a domestic violence coordinator within the WCSO and possibly we can get someone from the 'Women in Distress' organization to fill that position. Abused women can rest assured that the entire WCSO will be there to assist them and their children anytime they call upon us.

Having worked in South Fl., I agree with your comment, and I watched the program grow from almost nothing to what it is today in support of abused women. One thing I'd like to add, is that the 'Women (Children) in Distress' shelters are kept secret even from law enforcement, to prevent the abusers from finding their haven and possibly jeopardizing their operation or causing further harm to the women/children.

Thank you for your question.

Dennis Wise

MAKE THE WISE CHOICE YOUR CHOICE

beach blessings

Beach Lover
Jan 9, 2008

Thank you for your reply...not to put you down, but it was exactly what I expected. It all sounds good, and yes I expect that if your background is from south Florida that you do "get it", being that you have seen it "handled correctly". The only flaw is that for some time now everyone has been good at talking it up in politics...but like many others I am ready to see it! The old saying "show me the money". I know of a 2006 Walton County victim, that totally slipped through the system, even though she and her family followed the lead of the system through the entire process. Not only was there not an arrest, but the system has placed the victim in more danger rather than protection by handling things as they did.

Again, anything can sound good...make it happen!

Dennis Wise

Beach Lover
Nov 15, 2006

Thank you for your reply...not to put you down, but it was exactly what I expected. It all sounds good, and yes I expect that if your background is from south Florida that you do "get it", being that you have seen it "handled correctly". The only flaw is that for some time now everyone has been good at talking it up in politics...but like many others I am ready to see it! The old saying "show me the money". I know of a 2006 Walton County victim, that totally slipped through the system, even though she and her family followed the lead of the system through the entire process. Not only was there not an arrest, but the system has placed the victim in more danger rather than protection by handling things as they did.

Again, anything can sound good...make it happen!

The first step is to get elected! I intend to keep my word on every issue I have stated. With your help and that of others, we can make it a reality for 2009!! I have heard similar stories and we both know there is a great need for change. I AM THAT CHANGE!

Dennis Wise

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007

Mr. Dennis Wise:

I have enjoyed your posts and your willingness to communicate with the public (sowal, book signings, etc.). You obviously have far superior "People Skills" then many of the candidates (especially the current sheriff).

I am interested in a couple of things, the first of which is your references to S. Florida and Broward Co. How do you intend to bring that level of progressive law enforcement to Walton County? Seeing that Walton County is so set in its ways.

Second, what type of plan do you have to staff your administration? Specifically, (no names here) are you looking to replace some of the relics that currently only occupy space and collect a pay check (this was slightly referenced in Mr. J. Sconiers previous post and I hope it is elaborated on in the future).

As it relates to the two fired pregnant officers, would you hire them back? Would you look to compensate them for their time lost while fired (State Retirement, paycheck, etc.) as well as pay their attorney fees?

Finally, I have read your book, nice read, and I wonder what type of plan you have in place to prevent the unfortunate and far too often "accepted" incidents that occur between some of the counties more lazy officers, untrained dispatchers and relic supervisors (specifically the truck on Hwy 98 incident and many more you and I could discuss).

Thank you for taking the time to communicate on this post. You have answered my "request" to post qualifications and you continue to answer citizens (voters) questions. If appropriate, please let us know the "hows" as they relate to my above inquiry. Thank you Dennis. The Watcher is Watching and I like what I see.:cool:

beach blessings

Beach Lover
Jan 9, 2008

Yes, I will have to agree with Watcher...I like your people skills myself...There is a great need for change in this county...Hope to hear more form you about the issues truly at hand.

Dennis Wise

Beach Lover
Nov 15, 2006

Mr. Dennis Wise:

I have enjoyed your posts and your willingness to communicate with the public (sowal, book signings, etc.). You obviously have far superior "People Skills" then many of the candidates (especially the current sheriff).

I am interested in a couple of things, the first of which is your references to S. Florida and Broward Co. How do you intend to bring that level of progressive law enforcement to Walton County? Seeing that Walton County is so set in its ways.

Second, what type of plan do you have to staff your administration? Specifically, (no names here) are you looking to replace some of the relics that currently only occupy space and collect a pay check (this was slightly referenced in Mr. J. Sconiers previous post and I hope it is elaborated on in the future).

As it relates to the two fired pregnant officers, would you hire them back? Would you look to compensate them for their time lost while fired (State Retirement, paycheck, etc.) as well as pay their attorney fees?

Finally, I have read your book, nice read, and I wonder what type of plan you have in place to prevent the unfortunate and far too often "accepted" incidents that occur between some of the counties more lazy officers, untrained dispatchers and relic supervisors (specifically the truck on Hwy 98 incident and many more you and I could discuss).

Thank you for taking the time to communicate on this post. You have answered my "request" to post qualifications and you continue to answer citizens (voters) questions. If appropriate, please let us know the "hows" as they relate to my above inquiry. Thank you Dennis. The Watcher is Watching and I like what I see.:cool:

Thank you for your questions! I will try to answer all to the best of my ability, beginning with how I intend to bring Walton Co. Sheriff's Office into a progressive law enforcement agency. My first steps will be: Implement the units and programs I posted earlier. This in itself will break the stagnant administrative policies that are now in effect. A major move also is the training of all employees, both LEO's and civilians, to integrate them into a progressive law enforcement office; thus leading to the best service to the citizens/visitors of Walton Co.

Second question pertaining to staff personnel: My staff administration will consist of qualified law enforcement and administrators. As for those you refer to as relics, each of them will be re-trained for their assigned duties, as I believe every deputy should be given the chance to reach his/her full potential. Blood baths after elections are typical, and I intend to break that cycle. If the deputy is untrainable, they will no longer hold their position; their choice not mine. The officers I worked with in WCSO, were never given the opportunity to get the training (which was available and needed) to advance to their full potential. They deserve a chance to prove themselves. I can assure you there will be NO DEAD-WEIGHT in the Office of the Sheriff, with me as your sheriff.

Second part of second question: The two fired pregnant investigators. If the law suit pertaining to these women has not been resolved by Jan. 1, 2009, as sheriff, I will instruct the Sheriff's Office attorney to quickly resolve this matter and re-instate the two officers immediately. The current sheriff erred and a court of law will bear this out. Unfortunately it will be the people of Walton Co. who will bear the financial burden of this egregious error. This type action would never be taken by me as sheriff , because I do not feel it is right to punish a woman for being pregnant. Remember, "they work for a living, they don't live to work." I had the pleasure of working with both these women and know them to be dedicated individuals.

Your third question re "Outrageous Occurrences": My plan of action to prevent these outrageous occurrences from ever happening again, is to have an active Internal Affairs Unit. Supervisors will actively oversee subordinates assigned to his/her unit. Each supervisor will know what each and every deputy is doing at all times. Each and every supervisor and deputy will be following policies and procedures in effect. Every member of WCSO will be held responsible for their action or (lack thereof). Disciplinary action will be taken on a case by case basis through the Internal Affairs Unit. As stated before, I want to restore the integrity of the Walton Co. Sheriff's Office, and would like the input of the citizens of Walton Co. as to the interactions between them and the deputies and or dispatchers, be it positive or negative. A negative response will automatically be handled by the IA Unit.

I hope I have answered your questions and concerns adequately, and if you have any other questions or comments, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for reading my book, and I am glad you found it a nice read. I hope you got an understanding of the kind of person I am, and understand why the title is "Honor" Above All Else...Removing the Veil of Secrecy. My intent for writing the book was to shed light on agencies that are less than stellar, and hopefully prevent these and other unprofessional type situations from becoming the norm and or overlooked. Keep in mind, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Again, thank you for your questions, and if I can be of further assist, please do not hesitate to inquire.

Dennis Wise

Dennis Wise

Beach Lover
Nov 15, 2006

:welcome:
and thanks for your post. It's nice to hear directly from a candidate.
good luck to you!

Thanks for your hospitality! It's greatly appreciated. If you have any questions or concerns please let me know.

Dennis Wise

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007

Thank you for your questions! I will try to answer all to the best of my ability, beginning with how I intend to bring Walton Co. Sheriff's Office into a progressive law enforcement agency. My first steps will be: Implement the units and programs I posted earlier. This in itself will break the stagnant administrative policies that are now in effect. A major move also is the training of all employees, both LEO's and civilians, to integrate them into a progressive law enforcement office; thus leading to the best service to the citizens/visitors of Walton Co.

Second question pertaining to staff personnel: My staff administration will consist of qualified law enforcement and administrators. As for those you refer to as relics, each of them will be re-trained for their assigned duties, as I believe every deputy should be given the chance to reach his/her full potential. Blood baths after elections are typical, and I intend to break that cycle. If the deputy is untrainable, they will no longer hold their position; their choice not mine. The officers I worked with in WCSO, were never given the opportunity to get the training (which was available and needed) to advance to their full potential. They deserve a chance to prove themselves. I can assure you there will be NO DEAD-WEIGHT in the Office of the Sheriff, with me as your sheriff.

Second part of second question: The two fired pregnant investigators. If the law suit pertaining to these women has not been resolved by Jan. 1, 2009, as sheriff, I will instruct the Sheriff's Office attorney to quickly resolve this matter and re-instate the two officers immediately. The current sheriff erred and a court of law will bear this out. Unfortunately it will be the people of Walton Co. who will bear the financial burden of this egregious error. This type action would never be taken by me as sheriff , because I do not feel it is right to punish a woman for being pregnant. Remember, "they work for a living, they don't live to work." I had the pleasure of working with both these women and know them to be dedicated individuals.

Your third question re "Outrageous Occurrences": My plan of action to prevent these outrageous occurrences from ever happening again, is to have an active Internal Affairs Unit. Supervisors will actively oversee subordinates assigned to his/her unit. Each supervisor will know what each and every deputy is doing at all times. Each and every supervisor and deputy will be following policies and procedures in effect. Every member of WCSO will be held responsible for their action or (lack thereof). Disciplinary action will be taken on a case by case basis through the Internal Affairs Unit. As stated before, I want to restore the integrity of the Walton Co. Sheriff's Office, and would like the input of the citizens of Walton Co. as to the interactions between them and the deputies and or dispatchers, be it positive or negative. A negative response will automatically be handled by the IA Unit.

I hope I have answered your questions and concerns adequately, and if you have any other questions or comments, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for reading my book, and I am glad you found it a nice read. I hope you got an understanding of the kind of person I am, and understand why the title is "Honor" Above All Else...Removing the Veil of Secrecy. My intent for writing the book was to shed light on agencies that are less than stellar, and hopefully prevent these and other unprofessional type situations from becoming the norm and or overlooked. Keep in mind, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Again, thank you for your questions, and if I can be of further assist, please do not hesitate to inquire.

Dennis Wise

Thank you for your replies. I will say this, I am impressed with your ability to express your ideas and your answers to the questions that were posed. It is obvious that others are also appreciative of your response.

Why is it that other "candidates" are not willing to communicate with the public (at least not on this forum)? Do some of them just assume that they can carry the DFS vote and they will be a shoe in? I've got news for them, NOT THIS YEAR.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007

Yes, I will have to agree with Watcher...I like your people skills myself...There is a great need for change in this county...Hope to hear more form you about the issues truly at hand.

I am glad someone agrees it is time from change. Real change, not replacing a "Ralph" with a "Mike" or some other politico with an agenda.

As for the issues truly at hand, just keep your eyes on the papers and you will continue to see the "issues", as they roll on like thunder in the night.

As you assess the candidates, which ever you choose, be certain to ask what do they have to gain from taking office? By now, we know the salary is six figures, big deal. What else is gained by having the office, who else, besides the elected, really benefits? You answer these questions, you will be able to pick though the candidates with ease and you will discover the truth that lies beneath. Why do they really want to be Sheriff of Walton County, Florida? For them or for you (for us)? :cool: