• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Double Reds this morning?

New posts
The conditions of the water are reported by the beach safety director of South Walton Fire District a minimum of twice a day ( 9 am and 1 pm ). These conditions dictate the color of the flag. Obvioulsly, if the conditions change prior to these times, the flags change as well. It takes some time to manually change all of the flags. If you're not sure log on to swfd.org. That is very accurate.
From first hand experience, most people just don't know or dont' care what color the flags are. Instead of double or single red maybe they could fly a black flag with a shark's mouth. I know it would keep me out how about you?
 
How about instead of a beach patrol truck with a guy and a bullhorn, they just put someone in a boat with a huge supply of chum?

I know it's been posted before, but: YouTube - Shark surfer
 
I was thinking the same thing...as a visitor to sowal I've seen info on the flag system in rental units, but as others have noted the flags are not easily seen from all parts of the beach.
A local phone number to call with current beach advisories would be a great help. Here at home we have the time/temp number...it's been around forever. It has a brief advertising message and then the info. Maybe a local business would help foot the cost of a dedicated phone number in return for the brief advertisement. I nominate Publix since I've read on another thread about how profitable their store on 395 is...Avacados on special...double red flags so make guacamole today!
 
I wonder what it would take for the SWFD to set up a call in line with the current surf conditions?

I was thinking the same thing...as a visitor to sowal I've seen info on the flag system in rental units, but as others have noted the flags are not easily seen from all parts of the beach.
A local phone number to call with current beach advisories would be a great help. Here at home we have the time/temp number...it's been around forever. It has a brief advertising message and then the info. Maybe a local business would help foot the cost of a dedicated phone number in return for the brief advertisement. I nominate Publix since I've read on another thread about how profitable their store on 395 is...Avacados on special...double red flags so make guacamole today!

That's a good question. Here is their beach safety page... http://www.swfd.org/beachsd.php

I have just called their number before when I was on the beach and needed to know. It is a non-emergency number, (850) 267-1298, and if they got too many calls to handle I bet they would automate it.
 
So is there a chamber of commerce there that could appeal to the business community for sponsorship of a local, call in water safety advisory number? Would that be the province of the tdc?
I don't want to tie up the swfd phone lines...there has to be a more positive approach. Maybe hearing a human voice (albeit a recorded one) would have more affect on stubborn/stupid visitors who ignore the flag system. There's is no 100% cure for the thickness of some humans. Twenty some years ago, at Myrtle Beach, my husband pulled a kid out of a rip current. The child's parent was oblivious. But I saw the look in my husband's eye...he was scared of what could have happened to the child and him. I know he'd do the same today, trying to save someone because in his mind he's still 30 years old.
Being attached to the old cutie, I think the more that can be reasonably done to educate about safety, the better!
As for me and mine, we vow to obey the flags, dig no holes, remove everything from the beach at night, pick up our trash, plus the trash of others, and thank any and all safety workers we might see...see you on the sand soon!
 
So is there a chamber of commerce there that could appeal to the business community for sponsorship of a local, call in water safety advisory number? Would that be the province of the tdc?
I don't want to tie up the swfd phone lines...there has to be a more positive approach. Maybe hearing a human voice (albeit a recorded one) would have more affect on stubborn/stupid visitors who ignore the flag system.

In this case, I think the best course of action would be to have the SWFD do it and this is why. They are legally responsible for making the call. If there is a change made- they know immediately, not after a few minutes of tracking down the right person to record a message, etc. This is why they are the group responsible for changing the flags also. I do not see the benefit in adding another layer to this type of disbursement of information, especially since it would require a small effort and cost.

Give them a call and ask if they could do it, they would probably think it was a pretty good idea.
 
Two years ago I attended a seminar regarding public service announcements. There is a way that the flag conditions, foul weather conditions and just about any other important event can be transmitted over your am/fm stereo. Of course as with all good ideas, money is the determining factor. Funny, most of us make our living off of the beach and the people that come down here to enjoy it, but we as a county give very little back in the form of safety. I agree that each individual person must be responsible for themselves. However, we have to provide better protection not just for Tourist Tom, but for the other people that work and live here.
 
Funny, most of us make our living off of the beach and the people that come down here to enjoy it, but we as a county give very little back in the form of safety. I agree that each individual person must be responsible for themselves. However, we have to provide better protection not just for Tourist Tom, but for the other people that work and live here.

I've traveled all over the country/world and have yet to see anything even remotely approaching the level of safety notices, signage, and beach services we have here in Sowal. :idontno:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top