• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
I'm going to go with the fact that this is the internet and sometimes people forget that they're talking about real human beings who have feelings. I'm not lazy. Ask anyone here who KNOWS me. :dunno:

I am sorry that your feelings have been hurt, truly. Forums are rather cold in many ways. I hope you can trust that most posters are well-meaning. I believe you when you state that you are not lazy - I don't think very many people who vacation with children could be!

In my case it's more of a concern for turtle nesting than a disregard for your comfort. Aesthetically, some people don't like beach paraphernalia but during the daytime there is no rule against having as much stuff as you care to bring to the beach. Leaving it overnight really is a hazard to nesting turtles.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
doesn't do anything to follow up anyway. Oops, think I said that all before too.
The person to contact is the Beach Activities Coordinater and the # is posted in the Walton Sun. I have not gotten as involved lately since it was like "beating a dead horse" so to speak. Oops, just got my hands on a Walton Sun and there is no longer a Beach Activities Coordinater so maybe that is the problem.

I think that job has been rolled into a code enforcement position. 622-0000.

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
My chair company picks up EVERYTHING everyday and as far as I've seen so have all other chair companies this year so that complaint should be nonexistent.

It's a pain, but it's also a good workout. Why don't more people see it that way? :dunno:

However, the best option is just to pay me for two chairs and an umbrella and I'll do it. Keeping the peace between turtles and people who just want to relax. That's what we're here for!!!! :D

Last edited:

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
As for the catamaran and all the tents between Eastern Lake and Summer's Edge this week. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Was that too strong a growl? Not if you saw me after ~7:30am.

BTW, I asked a TDC trash collector just today what the deal was with all the crap on the beach and he said he didn't think they were going to do anything about it.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR continued....

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
As for the catamaran and all the tents between Eastern Lake and Summer's Edge this week. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Was that too strong a growl? Not if you saw me after ~7:30am.

BTW, I asked a TDC trash collector just today what the deal was with all the crap on the beach and he said he didn't think they were going to do anything about it.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR continued....
go get 'em tiger.

you would think it would be that simple, bring your crap, take it with you when you leave, even my mom taught me that.
i even take my own empty trash bags, and bring them back with trash.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I'm going to go with the fact that this is the internet and sometimes people forget that they're talking about real human beings who have feelings. I'm not lazy. Ask anyone here who KNOWS me. :dunno:

You're lazy if you endanger other people and wildlife because it is inconvenient to take your tent down!

I apologize if I may have misinterpreted your posts asking if the ordinance was being enforced because you didn't want to comply and then claiming hardship because of your gender, size, and kid count.

Make me eat my words/get bad karma by always cleaning up after yourself and teaching your kids the rules of the beach. ;-)

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org

Oh, gosh, this is a difficult thread for me because I do know you and know that you are not lazy at all. And I know that normally, this is not something that would ever be an issue with you. And that you are far more environmentally conscious than most people.

BUT.... I have to agree on the tent issue with everyone else.

It's why I pack everything in that basket that I haul everything around in. I can carry a child and the basket, plus another bag. That's what I take to the beach so that I can also haul it off in one trip. Anything else, doesn't go because it's just me and the kids. One day, when little guy is older, I'll probably use a lightweight umbrella, but right now that'd be too much to handle. So, we just don't go during the hottest times of the day, either.

My brother is coming down in two weeks. Months ago, he asked about being able to leave things on the beach like they did over near Port St. Joe. He was so stoked to be able to leave his tent and zillions of crap on the beach. Of course, it was also my other brother AND my mom and dad, so it was probably a sh__load of stuff with kids and all. I've seen pics and it was a lot of stuff. The conversation was difficult because I had to tell him that he couldn't leave his stuff on the beach due to sea turtles nesting.... It totally went over his head. I think it's why his family, my younger brother's family & my parents rented again for next year down that way instead of here.

And, if they leave their crap on the beach (behind Goatfeathers), I will alert Scooterbug or Greenroomsurfer to come and swipe it!:D He's been told and I don't feel like fighting with him (kind of like NoHall and her friends). But I know that if he sees other people's stuff on the beach, he's gonna leave it whether I say so or not. I'm the PITA little sister, so he takes my thoughts/ideas/statements with less than a grain of salt.

CKHagen, I tried so hard to figure out how to diplomatically say this. It is a forum and so it's personal and not personal at the same time in the way that others handle each other. It doesn't make it any easier when difficult subjects arise because we all live or visit in the same geographical area. I don't agree with people jumping down one another's throats about things and feel that there are ways to handle disagreements that do not put down another person's feelings or value. Getting snappy with her when she was really trying to understand something is not needed and totally out of line.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
If I had realized it was already nesting season (I SWEAR I didn't see any signs this time!) I would have been a PITA and harassed them about bringing stuff in.

Sorry, little turtle dudes...:sosad:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
If I had realized it was already nesting season (I SWEAR I didn't see any signs this time!) I would have been a PITA and harassed them about bringing stuff in.

Sorry, little turtle dudes...:sosad:

Can you be a PITA to my bro up in Dallas, GA before he gets down here with all his crap?????

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I just called code enforcement.

I'm sorry to report that there is "a legal issue" with the ordinance right now. They are not currently enforcing remove it or lose it. No estimate on when the courts will resolve this issue. :sosad:

That 'splains it. If we've got to wait on resolution of the private beach issue, there's gonna be a lotta stuff on the beach for a long time.