• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
You guys are funny. :rotfl:

I like Charlie. I don't think he's a tool because he does tend to go his own way. He does seem to have a strong moral compass, one of the things that makes him likable.

I think the problem with him is that he is reactive, not proactive. This made him a good and popular AG because he would hear about problems and work hard on behalf of the citizens to get them resolved.

His decision to extend the early voting hours was a perfect Charlie move -- he saw a problem, he fixed it, he gained popularity by doing the right thing and not the political thing. But in doing so he gained political points. :cool:

However: He seems to utterly lack vision and can't seem to effectively deal with complex problems. If he has advisors around him who can, I don't know about it. Alex Sink right now seems to be the only one up there grounded in reality. She will give him a run for his money in two years. He would be better in the Senate, methinks.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I don't think much of him. After he "fixed" the insurance problem, my insurer left the state and dumped me into Citizens.
Anyone want to start a little pool on when he breaks his engagement? :D

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
So other than giving felons back their right to vote, and paper ballots this is what is keeping his numbers positive. Based on what I read in the NWF Daily News, it appears we may be dipping into the reserves again and the Florida House and Senate and Gov. Crist seem to be waiting. Oh and slapping Senator McCain, by extending the voting hours in Florida. Did that really help President Elect Obama?

Last edited:

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
I blinded him with science..........

picture.php

Draw in the hands and you have a "Kilroy was here." :D

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I don't think much of him. After he "fixed" the insurance problem, my insurer left the state and dumped me into Citizens.
Anyone want to start a little pool on when he breaks his engagement? :D

I think we have to do that in the lounge. Can we throw in other pending "marriages" that will be affected by the outcome of the election? :D

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
So other than giving felons back their right to vote, and paper ballots this is what is keeping his numbers positive. Based on what I read in the NWF Daily News, it appears we may be dipping into the reserves again and the Florida House and Senate and Gov. Crist seem to be waiting. Oh and slapping Senator McCain, by extending the voting hours in Florida. Did that really help President Elect Obama?

We got portable SOH exemptions, decreased property taxes, insurance reform, and an increased homestead exemption. All in all homeowners should be enjoying the lower tax rates.

As far as dipping into reserves, that's what reserves are for. Be glad we don't live in a state like California that has no reserves to dip into.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
OK my savings came up to $8.33 a month, thanks Charlie. I reduced my insurance cost by 50% by shopping around, not anything the State has done. I won't ever be moving because the I can't get what I owe. If you think about it, California may not have any reserves because of the Propositions the citizens have placed on the ballot related to taxes and money over the last 10 years, much as Florida has been doing in the last few years with amendments. Granted the housing bubble burst, and most government entities have/ were living high, at the taxpayers request for more services. Now we have to cut, but we still have needs that have to be covered and our elected officials feel the need now to do what the majority wants, instead of doing what is best for the State. Are we being Proactive or Reactive to the situation.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Oh and the reserves will run out, then what?

You take on debt by issuing bonds. Florida has very little debt, so we can offer up bonds and get good interest rates, and when the economy rocovers pay it off quick and get ready for the next down turn.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
OK my savings came up to $8.33 a month, thanks Charlie. I reduced my insurance cost by 50% by shopping around, not anything the State has done. I won't ever be moving because the I can't get what I owe. If you think about it, California may not have any reserves because of the Propositions the citizens have placed on the ballot related to taxes and money over the last 10 years, much as Florida has been doing in the last few years with amendments. Granted the housing bubble burst, and most government entities have/ were living high, at the taxpayers request for more services. Now we have to cut, but we still have needs that have to be covered and our elected officials feel the need now to do what the majority wants, instead of doing what is best for the State. Are we being Proactive or Reactive to the situation.

Are you sure? I was just looking at my property tax assessment statement for 2008 - I'm seeing a 20% reduction off what I paid a year ago. Some of that is depreciation and some is the exemption.

Also note, one of the change has to do with limiting increases, which we obviously aren't taking advantage of right now.