• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

House votes to defund NPR

New posts
AlphaCrab, does the Tea Party actually listen to NPR? I thought they listened to Fox News, Hannity and Rush.

If NPR does get cut from Fed funding, I guess the executives will have to cut their salaries, or maybe we can look forward to more of those fundraising moments on NPR. The executive who was recently fired, was caught on video saying that NPR didn't need federal funding to keep it going, as he was trying to recruit funding.

I frequently listen to NPR, and I used to donate, ... to "keep the great shows coming." However, many years ago, when I learned that the Fed Gov't funds them for any shortfalls, I stopped contributing. I would imagine many people are in that same boat. I'd also guess that many lovers of NPR, like myself, would be more likely to donate to keep the great programming coming if the Feds didn't prop them up.


From my understanding, the Federal Government's contribution to NPR does not go the network itself nor does it go to fund the programming it produces. Rather, the money goes directly to the affiliates, the small radio stations that carry NPR, many of which are rural areas that don't have great access to a wide variety of media and broadband. De-funding will adversely affect these individual stations (increasing the dumbing-down of America), decrease the local programming that helps tie these communities together, but should not have too much impact on the national programming. It's an attack on the average rural listener/citizen much more than a blow to the liberal elite like the Republicans try to portray it.
 
Oh Yea--lets defund something that actually helps educates our citizenry and the Tea Party.... But do not touch the estimated one billion per week we are spending in Afghanistan. Makes solid sense!


How does NPR "educate our citizenry?" And why single out the tea party? Have they been removed from the "citizenry?" Face the facts, the federal government should not be funding entities that are also provided by private enterprise; in essence competing against private companies with their tax dollars. It is long overdue to defund NPR and PBS.
I agree with defunding Afghanistan (and Libya) as well.
 
How does NPR "educate our citizenry?" And why single out the tea party? Have they been removed from the "citizenry?" Face the facts, the federal government should not be funding entities that are also provided by private enterprise; in essence competing against private companies with their tax dollars. It is long overdue to defund NPR and PBS.
I agree with defunding Afghanistan (and Libya) as well.

Your argument is flawed. Should we do away with public education because private companies also provide it?

The bottom line is that we can't "democratize" every aspect of our lives for fear we'll be come "socialized, or "european-ized". We should as a society decide we want to do some things for the common good and education, art, literature, parks, roads, science, etc. should be part of it.
 
From my understanding, the Federal Government's contribution to NPR does not go the network itself nor does it go to fund the programming it produces. Rather, the money goes directly to the affiliates, the small radio stations that carry NPR, many of which are rural areas that don't have great access to a wide variety of media and broadband. De-funding will adversely affect these individual stations (increasing the dumbing-down of America), decrease the local programming that helps tie these communities together, but should not have too much impact on the national programming. It's an attack on the average rural listener/citizen much more than a blow to the liberal elite like the Republicans try to portray it.

I remember the Iron Curtain. This time the curtain is made out of tea bags. The "Jasmine Curtain" maybe???? We need some kind of radio-free okieville.
 
NPR will be fine. I'm not against the cuts. But I am sour that Republicans (in name only) ran on a platform of fiscal sense and job creation but their focus is on abortion, organized labor and only symbolic cuts in spending.

I so wish I had a real republican to vote for. We need one.
 
NPR will not be hurt by this. They have a strong fan and funding base and produce high quality programming that appeals to a broad range of people.

Many people who live in rural areas will be, as the funding that was cut helped small radio stations buy programming.

Another slap at the blue collar folks who actually work to keep this country going and are struggling.
 
Your argument is flawed. Should we do away with public education because private companies also provide it?

The bottom line is that we can't "democratize" every aspect of our lives for fear we'll be come "socialized, or "european-ized". We should as a society decide we want to do some things for the common good and education, art, literature, parks, roads, science, etc. should be part of it.


I do not want to do away with public education, but I do think that the federal (and state) governments should get out of it. The education system should be the purview of the local school board. If the state and feds were not draining tax dollars the locals could tax at the rate necessary to fund the type of system the local community needs. And locals would do a better job at employee relations and educational standards.
I am not" demonizing" anything, I just think some things are better done by private concerns instead of government. The goal should be excellence.
 
From my understanding, the Federal Government's contribution to NPR does not go the network itself nor does it go to fund the programming it produces. Rather, the money goes directly to the affiliates, the small radio stations that carry NPR, many of which are rural areas that don't have great access to a wide variety of media and broadband. De-funding will adversely affect these individual stations (increasing the dumbing-down of America), decrease the local programming that helps tie these communities together, but should not have too much impact on the national programming. It's an attack on the average rural listener/citizen much more than a blow to the liberal elite like the Republicans try to portray it.
That all sounds good on paper, but it has been said that the rural people don't listen to NPR. They are teabaggers, right?
 
That all sounds good on paper, but it has been said that the rural people don't listen to NPR. They are teabaggers, right?

Teabaggers can listen if they want, but usually they are too busy shouting. They are probably inclined to not listen, because they just might learn something that is contrary to their prejudices.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top