• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

I Can't Gitmo Satisfaction

New posts
I understand but the art is in interpretation and analysis. The authors had an axe to grind on behalf of their clients. How in the world could they be objective?

Read Boumediene v Bush. This case is challenging the classification of enemy combatant. If the above report was all artful interpretation, then why aren't all the detainees classified as enemy combatants? I'm not disputing your point that the lawyers are looking to make their cases, but classification is classification You can't make that up. The only reason I posted the link, because I realized who put the report together wouldn't be totally objective. You can't dispute the figures without having information that states other classifications not mentioned in the report.
Judge Opens First Habeas Corpus Hearing on Guant?namo Detainees

November 6, 2008

In any case, it is still up in the air how Obama is going to handle this going forward from a legal standpoint.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gLy-7Qsm2KeE15rL6Is9p56BcWhwD94CG1B80

According to this article, many of the about 250 Guantanamo detainees are cleared for release, but the Bush administration has not able been to find a country willing to take them.
 
The authors had an axe to grind on behalf of their clients. How in the world could they be objective?

For crying out loud, what do you want?? To get rid of the rule of law all together?? As long as we have laws and courts and lawyers, this is going to be the situation, the accused will have lawyers. The problem here is the lack of trials, of course the lawyers have "an ax to grind."
 
That comment is low even for you Poppy.

It is a fair question. I was not a member of this group when Americans were beheaded. Did folks come online and condemn the acts or were there overtures about how we need to understand their culture?


Look at my join date, I wasn't a member either. I still think it is a stupid question. The answer is a given.

I never plastered my vehicles with American flags after 911 because I didn't feel the need to prove my patriotism, it is a given. And why are you only asking libs to join you?

Are there other "libs" who feel there is a need to answer this question.
 
Last edited:
For crying out loud, what do you want?? To get rid of the rule of law all together?? As long as we have laws and courts and lawyers, this is going to be the situation, the accused will have lawyers. The problem here is the lack of trials, of course the lawyers have "an ax to grind."

I think we have a case of mixed metaphors in this thread. Rule of law, why yes, of course. Rule or interpretation of lawyers hired to defend Gitmo detainees, don't think so.
 
Look at my join date, I wasn't a member either. I still think it is a stupid question. The answer is a given.

I never plastered my vehicles with American flags after 911 because I didn't feel the need to prove my patriotism, it is a given. And why are you only asking libs to join you?

Are there other "libs" who feel there is a need to answer this question.

Poppy, for this reason. After a several Americans were beheaded, I asked my liberal friends in real life what they thought. They said that (i) we invaded their country and (ii) we need to understand their culture.

Why am I asking only libs to join me? Because everyone I know who is conservative or independent or libertarian have condemned the beheadings. I cannot say the same for my lib friends.
 
Poppy, for this reason. After a several Americans were beheaded, I asked my liberal friends in real life what they thought. They said that (i) we invaded their country and (ii) we need to understand their culture.

Why am I asking only libs to join me? Because everyone I know who is conservative or independent or libertarian have condemned the beheadings. I cannot say the same for my lib friends.


Not all members of a given group have the same opinion, it is unfair to assume otherwise. I read you as though you believe if 2 or 3 liberals believe one way then the rest must also believe that way.

I will say this, I don't need to understand anything about a group of people who go around beheading others.
 
Not all members of a given group have the same opinion, it is unfair to assume otherwise. I read you as though you believe if 2 or 3 liberals believe one way then the rest must also believe that way.

I will say this, I don't need to understand anything about a group of people who go around beheading others.


Poppy, I shared what my IRL liberals friends say. No more. I did not assert that their opinions represented yours or anyone else's, hence why I asked the question on SoWal. You made one wild leap.

So, you do condemn the "group of people" who beheaded Americans?
 
Poppy, I shared what my IRL liberals friends say. No more. I did not assert that their opinions represented yours or anyone else's, hence why I asked the question on SoWal. You made one wild leap.

So, you do condemn the "group of people" who beheaded Americans?


I do enjoy your posts. I find them very informative and you come across as a very decent person. However this exchange needs to end. I leave it to you to guess how I feel about beheadings.:wave:
 
I do enjoy your posts. I find them very informative and you come across as a very decent person. However this exchange needs to end. I leave it to you to guess how I feel about beheadings.:wave:

I'll mark you down as a "maybe". :biggrin:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top