• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Right, but not to the buyer’s agent. Before showing a property the first question to the listing agent should always be “Do you split your commissions 50/50?”
So if a listing broker does not have a 50/50 split on a particular listing, the buyers agent should not show the house/property? That would be unethical and that would mean the buyers agent is working only for his/her commission and not to serve the customer (buyer).

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Fiduciary duty is to sell the home. Who cares who brings the buyer? Do agents tell the seller there may be agents with qualified buyers for their home, but you feel they don’t deserve equal compensation because they are just “along for the ride?”
That sounds like your duties are to yourself.
Kind of moot because it rarely happens. Often a non rep agent is the buyers brother-in-law from another part of the state and is absolutely along for the ride with zero intention of doing any of the work.

And your post here (bold part) contradicts your previous post where the buyers agent should immediately be concerned if the commission is a 50/50 split.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
So if a listing broker does not have a 50/50 split on a particular listing, the buyers agent should not show the house/property? That would be unethical and that would mean the buyers agent is working only for his/her commission and not to serve the customer (buyer).
Never said or implied that.
You have a buyer interested in a property so when first contacting the listing agent ask about the split. They may say yes it’s 50/50 or we will do 50/50 with a reciprocal agreement or no we don’t do 50/50.
You’re still showing the property to your buyer that was never in question.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Kind of moot because it rarely happens. Often a non rep agent is the buyers brother-in-law from another part of the state and is absolutely along for the ride with zero intention of doing any of the work.

And your post here (bold part) contradicts your previous post where the buyers agent should immediately be concerned if the commission is a 50/50 split.
Your assumption is wrong as explained above.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Never said or implied that.
You have a buyer interested in a property so when first contacting the listing agent ask about the split. They may say yes it’s 50/50 or we will do 50/50 with a reciprocal agreement or no we don’t do 50/50.
You’re still showing the property to your buyer that was never in question.
Ok, I understand your point.
It is usually obvious by the payout in the MLS listing. And as I have posted, very rare that it's not 50/50. And frankly who cares?

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Ok, I understand your point.
It is usually obvious by the payout in the MLS listing. And as I have posted, very rare that it's not 50/50. And frankly who cares?
If the MlS states 2.5 is that based on 5% or 6% and the agent bringing the buyer cares.
I have made my point so I will leave it here.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
If the MlS states 2.5 is that based on 5% or 6% and the agent bringing the buyer cares.
I have made my point so I will leave it here.
If the MLS states a 2.5% cobrokerage you can damn near bet the farm it is a 5% listing. And no the agent bringing the buyer does not care. Why would he/she?

And I'm really not sure what your point was?

Sarah mulvaney

Beach Comber
Jan 15, 2021
Santa Rosa
I'm looking for a realtor to sell our home in Santa Rosa Beach, as well as, use them to purchase another. Would like recommendations from personal experience not friends who are realtors. We have sold one in the past and it was not a good experience. I'll review any suggestions and would set up meeting with at least 3. Thank you for any help.
Hi Dawn -

If you haven’t found an agent yet, I’d love to chat with you!

Let me know if you would like to grab lunch this week

Give me a call or email at 205-937-5354

Sarah Drew Mulvaney
Scenic Sotheby’s International Realty