1. Summer's End Clearance Sale Everything 30-50% off at Moon Creek Gallery in Grayton Beach Plaza on 283! Your favorite SoWal Photo Prints, Matted Prints, Framed Prints, SoWal T-shirts & Hats.

Newbie Here Needing Info!

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by reipan40, Apr 10, 2006.

1. reipan40

reipan40 Beach Comber

Hello! My name is Renee and in June my family (12 in total) will congregate to Seagrove Beach for a week of fun! We have never been there before and have rented a house in Summer's Edge. Please let me know what and where we "should do, see, eat, etc." My husband and I live in Texas and haven't been to Florida since our honeymoon in Fort Walton 26 years ago! The rest of the family is coming from Tennessee. Thanks!

2. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Welcome to the beach, Renee! All the info you need is here on the message board--sit yourself down for a few hours (days/months/years) and READ! :D Everything beachy is discussed here. You name it!

Another good source of basic info (and fabulous photos) is www.sowal.com. You'll find the lists of events, shops, restaurants etc. useful. And don't forget--sometimes you don't need to do much at the beach but relax!

3. swantree

swantree Beach Fanatic

welcome :clap_1:

4. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

:welcome: renee! I am a Houston native...grew up going to Galveston....nearly fell over when we arrived here for the first time in 1986 and saw this place!!!!

5. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

:welcome: Renee. This is a beautiful area for vacationing and this board, as Mermaid says, is a wealth of information. This board has turned into a real "community", complete with helpful advice on everything from places to eat to great summer reading, gossip, lively characters.

We are a family of 4 (two children) and our routine when we are there always includes sunset at the beach, sometimes with a snack or drink (sunsets are awesome here). You'll have plenty to do close to Seagrove.

6. MKH

MKH Beach Fanatic

:welcome: Hi Renee! My family will be coming to Sowal at the end of May. This is our 3rd year to visit, and we love it! We rent a house in Seacrest Beach, which is very close to Seagrove. We live in Memphis-where is the rest of your family coming from?

M

7. OnMackBayou

OnMackBayou Beach Lover

Hey Renee, I'm a Houston native too...grew up going to Galveston and thought that was the greatest beach in the world when I was a kid.

Discovered this area in 2000. Whoa! are you guys in for a treat. Like they said, just peruse this board and you'll be up to speed fast on where to eat and play.

8. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Here are a few other thing we do when we're there:

Go to Grayton Beach State Park. It costs about $5.00/car and it's a gorgeous beach with no homes on the dunes so you can see what it used to be like here. It has bathrooms, picnic tables, changing areas. We love it there.

We also go to the Red Bar for dinner, but we go VERY early (we get to the door before 5:00 and wait so that we get a seat). It gets very crowded but worth the wait.

9. Cork On the Ocean

Cork On the Ocean directionally challenged

:welcome: Welcome Renee (my daughter's middle name :D ). You're gonna be very surprised in the changes since you've been here. Have Funn!

10. Destiny

Destiny Beach Lover

:welcome: Renee!!
    I'm from middle Georgia. SoWal beaches are beautiful. There is as much to do there as you want to do. There is also shopping east and west so no problems. The best is the beach with the most beautiful sunsets!!

11. InletBchDweller

InletBchDweller SoWal Insider

Welcome Renee! I am sure that you and your family will love it here. You are in a good spot, right in the middle of 30-A, close to everything...rent bikes, it is so much funn!!!

12. reipan40

reipan40 Beach Comber

Thanks for the fantastic welcome everyone :D ! The rest of the family is coming from Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Loudon, TN. We are so looking forwar to this trip. Last night before I posted, I did do a lot of reading and I do beleive this is the best place for information.

Renee

13. danatlanta

danatlanta Beach Comber

We just got back! Old Florida Fish House is a great restaurant as is the always reliable Cafe 30A. Shades at the Loop moved from Seaside and is now at 30A & HWY 98 another good one. Rent bikes and see all the new things along the beach road. Oh yeah, grab a towel and sunscreen and just chill on the beaches-about the best in the world!!

14. reipan40

reipan40 Beach Comber

I think we are going to drive our truck just so we can bring our bikes! The more I read, the more I think that is a great idea! Thanks for the restaurant info--I don't want to cook toooooooo much!

15. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Renee, we always bring our bikes to the beach. If you're out there in the mornings riding your bike on the path, you can justify all the good food and booze you consumed the nights before at the Red Bar, 331, Amores.... ;-)

16. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

There you are....I thought maybe your behind had fallen off after all your biking around these parts!!! ;-)

17. ecopal

ecopal Beach Fanatic

1. In walking or biking distance you have:
    Deer Lake Park to your east.

2.to eat there is Old Florida Fish House(534-3045) on the east side of Eastern lake. You could walk there. It has a view of Eastern Lake and thus one of the best atmospheres on 30A

3. Halfway between you and Seaside is probably the most consistently good 1st class restaurant in the area: Cafe 30A.

4. Cafe 331 is just up from 98 on 331 by the bridge and is great for lunch or dinner. You have a nice view over the Bay.

5. The best pizza is a The Spicy Noodle at the east end of 30A then east a mile on 98. While in that area go to Camp Helen an old restored resort on the Gulf . Just to the east before the bridge to PCB.

6. The best Gulf view and atmosphere for lunch on a nice day is D & Ks roof top cafe in Grayton Beach. If it is raining cross the street to the famous Red Bar.

18. InletBchDweller

InletBchDweller SoWal Insider

I agree, I too love the Spicy Noodle and they will take large group with kids.

19. Lady D

Lady D SoWal Insider

Big Orange Country! Love Knoxville as I was born and raised there. Haven't been there in 21 years though. Know people in Loudon also but those are people I'd rather forget. Anyway, alot to do between PC Beach and Fort Walton Beach. You can rent waverunners in PC Beach and go on a two hour guided tour. We rent ours by the Treasure Ship restaurant in PC Beach. You can go bayside or gulfside. They do not go gulfside from that location. You get to encounter dolphins on the bayside. Really neat when the water is emerald green and you can see them swimming under your waverunners. They take you to Shell Island also. Alot of fun! And around 35 minutes away at Youngstown, Florida is the Econfina Creek Canoe Livery. A nice 7 mile canoe trip with several clear water springs to canoe into. And of course, then there are the scooter rentals. And Eden Gardens State Park with the Wesley Mansion tour is very nice! Worth the money and time!

20. reipan40

reipan40 Beach Comber

Just wanted to say thanks again! We are counting the days until our trip to paradise! :clap_1: