• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Nothing Good Ever Happens Here Anymore

New posts

Danny Burns

Beach Fanatic
All I ever see here on the political forum anymore is name calling, half truths, outright lies, and petty squabbling. It used to be so much fun when we had good old fashioned honest debates. I miss that, don't you?

Some people need to grow up, get over themselves, check your facts, and learn how to engage in constructive discourse in a civil manner. Is that really so difficult?
 
All I ever see here on the political forum anymore is name calling, half truths, outright lies, and petty squabbling. It used to be so much fun when we had good old fashioned honest debates. I miss that, don't you?

Some people need to grow up, get over themselves, check your facts, and learn how to engage in constructive discourse in a civil manner. Is that really so difficult?

It's the same as it's ever been. In fact, most of the name calling is by those same few who always have engaged in that type of conversation.

There are still quite a few civil people here. On all sides of the issues. I don't know about the "outright lies." :shock:
 
Political weather

Analog man,
As we all know, the political waters right now are quite turbulent on both side of the political debate, and in my opinion, have been since the election. Unfortunately I don't see it dying down anytime soon. I think that some fail to grasp the size and scope of the subject Du Jour, whatever your opinion may be about healthcare.
How can we measure how "good" this debate really is? The goodness factor is relative to each individual.
SJ brought up a few "peripheral" news items that no one seems to want to discuss but they are huge in my opinion but the healthcare smoke is taking precendence. It seems to be a natural "news cycle".

As for the "outright lies" i haven't posted on here very much in comparison to some, but I am dilligent to personally "fact check" everything I post before I launch it into the discussion. Not claiming infallibility in any way, i purposely try to stay away from sources that can be attacked as fringe or unreliable. And I never use "fact-check" :)
 
Last edited:
By and large "good" debate doesn't exist here. The left cites their sources which are discounted by the right and vice versa. The right can't cite Fox News without being flamed by the left, and the left can't cite sources like MSNBC or CNN without getting flamed by the right. It's pretty sad, actually. The political forum is largely nothing more than he said she said on 90% of the threads. Every now and again there is thoughtful discussion but rarely.
 
I think we all figure out rather quickly who we can have a discussion with and who we should ignore.................unfortunately the number of people whose goal is to interrupt and derail the debate is increasing.

Which is sad, because when we actually can have a discussion we all learn a lot.
 
By and large "good" debate doesn't exist here. The left cites their sources which are discounted by the right and vice versa. The right can't cite Fox News without being flamed by the left, and the left can't cite sources like MSNBC or CNN without getting flamed by the right. It's pretty sad, actually. The political forum is largely nothing more than he said she said on 90% of the threads. Every now and again there is thoughtful discussion but rarely.

sc, that's why I seldom get involved in political discussions any longer. No one convinces anyone about anything with accusations and insults. When I see these threads that are titled with inflammatory remarks, I just tend to stay out of the fray.

We all need to pay better attention to what the alleged "news media"...left AND right... tells us and learn to listen using common sense instead of political ideology as the filter through which we gain knowledge.

I know how difficult this may sound, but try. We all could be just a little better off as a country and world if more people did.

We all love our country. We simply don't see eye to eye on HOW we reach the common goals we all so much want to see happen.
 
I think we all figure out rather quickly who we can have a discussion with and who we should ignore.................unfortunately the number of people whose goal is to interrupt and derail the debate is increasing.

Which is sad, because when we actually can have a discussion we all learn a lot.

SB44, that's exactly why I used to post often on these forums. Whether you agree with someone or not, you still can learn about an opposing viewpoint. I think that is very valuable.
 
It's the same as it's ever been. In fact, most of the name calling is by those same few who always have engaged in that type of conversation.

There are still quite a few civil people here. On all sides of the issues. I don't know about the "outright lies." :shock:

Winnie, I was speaking about a very small minority of posters (of which you are not), who attempt to prove a fringe point by just making up poll numbers, etc. without posting references of any sort. These are the people who just want to expend energy trying to be right (I do not mean conservative) and spewing venom rather than trying to make a valid point and perpetuating a constructive debate...like this one we're having now.
 
SB44, that's exactly why I used to post often on these forums. Whether you agree with someone or not, you still can learn about an opposing viewpoint. I think that is very valuable.

You are right about this! Not only does it lead me to research both sides of an issue more, it gives a 'personality' to the opposing perspective. I feel like most on SoWal are good-hearted people. I don't sense any bad intent in anybody's point of view.

Just a very few sound particularly angry at the world. I feel a great deal of sympathy for some who seem to have a 'glass half-empty' point of view on everything.
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top