• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Plane and Treadmill Question

New posts

Advance The Man

Beach Lover
I've seen this posted on other forums and it always seems to bring a debate. I've racked my brain and I think I have a decent answer, but at the same time can think of reasons it could be debunked. Here's the question...

A plane equipped with fixed horizontal engines and wheel landing gear is placed on a huge treadmill runway. The treadmill has a clever design and always matches the speed of the plane, but runs in the opposite direction. Will the plane take off and fly or not?
 
My husband's on a plane right now, but if you can hold off 'til tomorrow, I'll ask him. He has a doctorate in aerodynamic gobledegook so he will surely know. He might even want to debate you. ;-)
 
My husband's on a plane right now, but if you can hold off 'til tomorrow, I'll ask him. He has a doctorate in aerodynamic gobledegook so he will surely know. He might even want to debate you. ;-)


Let the poor man rest so he has the energy to make your coffee and bring it to you!
 
ATM, I can't believe you are asking that in the lounge, that question requires heavy duty thinking. :D
 
ATM, I can't believe you are asking that in the lounge, that question requires heavy duty thinking. :D

Forgot your thinking cap? :roll: ;-)

and why are we putting a plane on a treadmill? :idontno:
 
Let the poor man rest so he has the energy to make your coffee and bring it to you!


No such luck for poor Merman. I ambushed him with this question when he walked in the door ten minutes ago. It took him 24 hours to get from Berlin to Indianapolis today (A the Man, his one comment was that he surely was on one of those "treadmill" runways because otherwise what could explain such a long trip? :lol: ).

So this is how the conversation went:

Is the plane going to take off?
NO
Is it because of the fixed horizontal engines?
NO
Why not?
All planes have them. :roll: (dumdum!)
Well, what about the runway, then?
It doesn't exist except for the planes I was on. :roll: (double dumdum!)
What's your technical answer?
Still NO.
How come?
"Airplanes fly when air is moving over the wings. In this scenario, the plane is not moving relative to the air, so therefore no take-off."
So tell me how this could be debateable?
"People don't understand aerodynamics and relative velocity." :roll: (triple dumdum!)
Oh.

That's the official report from the horse's mouth. But if it doesn't work for you, I'm sure Merman will be happy to turn it over to one of his spunky Purdue interns with the youth and energy for debate. :lol:
 
Forgot your thinking cap? :roll: ;-)

and why are we putting a plane on a treadmill? :idontno:

ummm, are you one of those people who reads too much into everything ? but now that you mentioned it - must be one heck of a treadmill !
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top