• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rays in Eastern Lake outlet

New posts

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
I was walking by the Eastern Lake outlet today, and I saw two small rays in the outlet, which is not open to the Gulf right now. I guess they have been in there since the last time it opened up. One of them came right up to the edge of the water and looked at me. I swear, I could read its mind. WTF? Can I go home now? :shock:
Then a shadow caught my attention, and I looked up. A hawk was circling the dunes. Such a pretty day there today. :wub:
 
Green with envy. I walk by there almost daily and rarely see anything moving around, unless it's open and critters are getting washed out.
 
I was walking by the Eastern Lake outlet today, and I saw two small rays in the outlet, which is not open to the Gulf right now. I guess they have been in there since the last time it opened up. One of them came right up to the edge of the water and looked at me. I swear, I could read its mind. WTF? Can I go home now? :shock:
Then a shadow caught my attention, and I looked up. A hawk was circling the dunes. Such a pretty day there today. :wub:

We had the same happen to us. Pretty cool. I have pictures. I need to find them. I didn't know until 4 years ago that some rays are both freshwater and ocean water dwellers.
 
Wish I could have seen this. :clap:
 
I hear that Rays make good dinner for Hawks.

I didn't see any Rays today, but I did see a small shark swim right up to the beach around sunset. A guy had just packed up his fishing gear from that very spot. He was going out in the water to cast past the sandbar, then come back in to wait from shore. They caught a Lady Fish, and maybe the shark was still picking up on a little blood in the water. Couldn't tell what kind it was, but it was maybe only 5-6 ft long, judging my the distance between the fins. No pics, as the shark was gone before I got my camera out of my pocket.
 
rays

It is always very cool to see ocean life when you least expect it. Here is a small leopard ray (that I have never seen before) that we found while snorkeling on the 2nd sandbar last summer! It was a cute little guy. I brought him in to show people on the beach and released him back.

Anybody else ever seen one of these?

picture.php



 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top