• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rays in Eastern Lake outlet

New posts
Don't forget that, as beautiful as rays are, they will sting (or whatever it is they do to you when you step on them) the living snot out of you if they feel threatened. It hasn't happened to me personally, but it has to a friend of mine, in the bay. He likened it to stepping into a pile of white-hot charcoal, having it run up your leg, and not being able to get out. :yikes: Be careful, and keep the kids and pets away!
 
It is true that stingrays sting, but not all rays sting or have the ability to. It is definitely very smart to "shuffle" your feet while walking in areas that rays may be prevalent so to scare them away before you step down on them! I feel sorry for your friend who got stung, and hope I never do, but it doesn't keep me out of the water!;-)
 
I'd watch out since they have recently been stabbing people in the hearts or flying out of the water to get folks. ;-)
 
It is always very cool to see ocean life when you least expect it. Here is a small leopard ray (that I have never seen before) that we found while snorkeling on the 2nd sandbar last summer! It was a cute little guy. I brought him in to show people on the beach and released him back.

Anybody else ever seen one of these?

This tiny leopard ray is cute. I've had a large sting ray come up out of the sand about 3 feet in front of me and swim out into the gulf at Shell Island a few years back.
 
At Stingray City off Grand Cayman, I was actually talked into/forced into the water with stingrays. :yikes: It was weird. My older brother was dumb enough to pick them up out of the water to see their mouths. I lasted about 10 minutes and shuffled my tooshie back into the boat. Never again and that was 15 years ago.
 
051010-grayton-079.jpg
 
OMG!! That's my OTHER favorite picture!!! :wub:
 
:clap::clap::wub:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top