• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Reading how the locals resent the renters

New posts
Paula said:
Dusty:

What a great idea. We should start a thread on "renters advice for great rentals" so we can learn more about what our guests want (e.g., best practices). We don't keep any knick knacks around and most of our stuff is kid-friendly (e.g. quilts that can be washed in the washing machine, plastic dishes for kids as well as better dishes for adults, slip covers on some furniture). But any advice from renters is useful. We use our own experience travelling with children to guide us -- mostly, we go for convenience, room set up that give us a good night sleep and comfortable seating arrangements for conversation since we often travel with people we haven't seen in a long time and want to catch up so we talk and talk and talk, cleanliness (that matters a lot to us), storage, peace and quiet, a pool in the summer, good cooking equipment so we're not trying to cook a meal with two pots and 2 serving dishes, and proximity to stores and other conveniences. Our guests have given us lots of useful advice as well because we ask them to give us ideas in the guestbook (there was a debate over whether all bedrooms should have mirrors -- some guests wanted them and others said, "Heck, we're on vacation and we don't want to worry about what we look like." But we put the mirrors in anyway.
Paul and Dusty,

I agree with starting a thread for "renters". As crazy as it may seem as a renter who invests about $6000. for a week in paradise it would be great to know some of the best places to stay. I have rented from several agencies in the area and have had varying experiences. You never really know what you are getting until you get there. I have rented houses that were advertised as "gulf front" that you had to walk about 200 hundred yards to get to the beach access. I have rented some that had mabe 2 forks and a couple of pans. Or how about beds that are made with sheets that don't fit. (I hate that). Whenever we go on vacation there is always a really large group of us so I have to find a large house that will accomodate us. We love the beach and we have tried very hard to educate our children about conserving the dunes and to be careful of the homeowners properties. That is not always easy with my 6 grandchildren. Last year I just told them that they would have to pay the damage deposit.
 
Sounds like suggestions for two threads:

a) bizzare rental experiences --for owners to vent about bad renter behavior

b) renters' thread--for renters to offer suggestions about what they did and did not like in properties they rented; and to share info on good rentals. :)
 
Sea Turtle said:
Perhaps we can have a new thread for "Most Bizzare Rental Experience"

It might give the homeowner's an opportunity to blow off a little steam without offending the majority of guests who are GREAT! (We really do love guests and hope they continue to come here, but some crazy things HAVE happened! ) Let's keep it light and funny ONLY . I don't want to start a grievence thread, just share some bizarre stories.

My contributions:
1. Hot Pink Playdoh smeared ALL over my living room walls.
2. Men's size 11 black drag queen pump shoes I found under my bed. (I don't want to think about it.)
3. When the renters checked out of my neighbor's home, they took the sofa ! :floor: (I'm only laughing because it wasn't MY sofa)


Dusty-Two new threads would be great! How about this ??? :

1. Bizarre Rental Experiences- Crazy or funny stories for homeowner's to share. (a seperate greivance thread could be started by someone else if they wanted.... too many negative vibes for me)
2.Renter's Thread- advise and recommendations from renters. I'm with you, Paula. I try to make our homes kid friendly but I always can learn more!
 
This is nothing new..if you really want to go visit a place where the locals resent the renters/tourists, try Hawai'i..
 
physes said:
Paul and Dusty,

I agree with starting a thread for "renters". As crazy as it may seem as a renter who invests about $6000. for a week in paradise it would be great to know some of the best places to stay. I have rented from several agencies in the area and have had varying experiences. You never really know what you are getting until you get there. I have rented houses that were advertised as "gulf front" that you had to walk about 200 hundred yards to get to the beach access. I have rented some that had mabe 2 forks and a couple of pans. Or how about beds that are made with sheets that don't fit. (I hate that). Whenever we go on vacation there is always a really large group of us so I have to find a large house that will accomodate us. We love the beach and we have tried very hard to educate our children about conserving the dunes and to be careful of the homeowners properties. That is not always easy with my 6 grandchildren. Last year I just told them that they would have to pay the damage deposit.


A little piece of advice - rent directly from an owner and read their online guest book. Certain agencies in the area are known for not using large pocket sheets to save money .

99% our guest have been incredible. They have replaced broken items on there own and have fixed minor things on their own. In addition, some have now become friends. They are generally the nicest people.

One funny story now - Our former rental agency left our locked garage unlocked. The door had a large sign on that stated " private do not enter owners storage". The renter entered the garage anyway. They used all of our private stuff - kayaks, fishing rods, bikes, and beach chairs. But they fixed 2 bikes and reorganized / cleaned up the garage so everything was arranged better.

I guess you just have to go with the flow.


RBP
 
Last edited:
JustBeachy said:
This is nothing new..if you really want to go visit a place where the locals resent the renters/tourists, try Hawai'i..

Hmmm. We're going to Hawaii in early August. So far, the owner seems to like us. We'll know more after our stay in Hawaii. But we'll be VERY good guests!
 
We have found that the people who rent from us directly almost always treat the house better than those who rent through our rental company. They seem to want to treat it as there own place. Also, I believe since they deal with us directly there is somewhat of a connection.
 
I totally agree. I am a homeowner who does most of my own renting because I want to know the guests staying in my home. This is a business, per say, but it is also my families second home and you can feel it as soon as you walk in the door. I have had wonderful guests stay with me and I truely agree that when you actually talk with your guests and get to know them and they you, you develope a respect for each other. I have never had any problems and I have truely made wonderful friendships with previous renters and future guests. It has been an overall fantastic experience and I have met some of the neatest people from all over.
 
Just_In_Thyme said:
We have found that the people who rent from us directly almost always treat the house better than those who rent through our rental company. They seem to want to treat it as there own place. Also, I believe since they deal with us directly there is somewhat of a connection.

I would imagine this to be the case in most situations. When you rent directly from an owner, you form a relationship with that person, and accountability as well. There is the knowledge there that an actual person is sharing their home with you, rather than that it is a sort of hotel where a nameless, faceless person collects your money and considers you to be nameless and faceless too.
 
I have the greatest guest coming to our house today. That is right today. They do not care if the house is clean, if the windows are still boarded up, if the pool is a mess, or they can not get to the beach. They love the area. The still want to come to help clean up and help repair any minor damage. Unbelievable!!!!! They still wanted to pay for the week - guess what its free.
At our other house, our guests bugged out so fast to go somewhere else, which is understandable.

You get more in life by paying ahead instead of paying back..............

RBP
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top