• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I think it's a prime example of Democracy at work. One complaint can spoil it for the whole bunch. When I was a kid, we didn't have this problem. People respected the knowledge of those who had experienced the storms, knew the erosion situation, and understood shifting sands. If someone came into the "yard" (clearly defined) of a homeowner on the beach with anything else but honorable intent, they expected trouble, and usually got it. Everyone knew that the "beach" was owned by the state, we didn't hagle over mean tide lines, knowing that the next storm would probably change it. Prime example of why locals get so disgusted with the "tourists" that come in with no respect or regard for the knowledge that people that have lived here and experienced these storms, and other situations, have. Yea, that's my pet peave.

PegGep

Beach Comber
Jun 19, 2007
I hadn't mentioned in my original post but I did respectfully refuse to leave the beach when the security guard requested that. He did call the Sherriff and when he arrived he asked me for ID (I tried to give him my business card but he scoffed at that and asked for my driver's license). He called in my driver's license and when he ascertained that I wasn't a fugitive from justice asked me to either move to the wet sand or leave the beach. I was told that if this occurred again I would be fined for trespassing. I choose not to push the envelope further that day. BobbyJ - I am ready with cash in hand to bail you out if you decide to further push the envelope and refuse to leave when requested by sherriff.
Go BobbyJ!!

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
The "private" section of the beach is supposedly from the high tide line back toward the dunes. Unfortunately, few people know this. They are just looking for a spot to enjoy themselves.

I have a friend who owns a unit on Sand Trap Road at Miramar. The A-hole who lives next door waits for people to get completely set up in front of his house, then walks out and tells them they are on private property.

If you think about it, there is nowhere you can go and NOT be on private property unless you are in a state park.

IMO, this is a pretty major issue with no easy answers.

I have a few replies that I would like to address, but I don't know how to put them all in one post. So, please excuse me for multiple posts.

The A-Hole you are referring to is one of the SOB groups members. He not only put his own house in danger, but all of his neighbors. He doesn't seem to care. My understanding is the renourishment project skipped that ares and his neighbors are now sueing him for endangerment of private property. Good, I hope they win.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
I find it a very sad commentary on their lives/personalities that these people have to be so territorial and mean-spirited. I could see asking people to leave an area clear for a special event like a wedding, or even asking people who are being obnoxious to leave if they are somehow interfering w/ your enjoyment, but if you're not actively using the beach, why can't others enjoy it?

For those urgently needing to stake their territory, the easiest way is to put out a chair or towel and plop yourself down. I don't select a beach spot that is already occupied ;-).

This kind of behavior makes me want to channel the most obnoxious beach goer ever and go park myself on the "public" portion!

It is sad, but disgusting as well. I ran into one of the opponents of the beach renourishment program, pointing out that tourism is our major business here, and without the beach, we wouldn't have any tourist. The reply I got was "We've made our money and don't care about tourism". I also pointed out the restaurant they were eating in would not be there if it was not for tourism, and they just grunted. NOTE again, it was ok for them to walk and set up their space on the beach anywhere they wanted, until they became property owners.

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
Beachbummet give us your address in bham and Seagrove we'll be more than happy to stop by! Are ya part of the green shirt cult?

Ask Bobby J, he knows! He also knows I would sit with him!:love:

When should I do this.... I have not been in the paper in over two weeks so it must be time!

It's time, I will be there tonight...you know my numbers. :clap:

I do have a friend that lives on the gulf that a couple of years ago, she said someone walked beside her house to the edge of the dune, dropped his pants and mooned friends below.:moon: She said you should have seen his face when he looked up and saw her staring back at him through the window.

Some people do call this place home and live there full time. I think most folks don't say anything about people in front of theire homes.....there is always someone out there who is small minded and petty.

What happens if you refuse to leave? Is it just a fine? Will they haul you off?

Last edited:

jack S

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2007
The private beaches are only part of the problem. Once they receive dredged sand, that portion is public. But all along the beach, the parking limits your access to it. On 30a you pass many access points with limited or no parking.
PARKING EQUALS ACCESS!
The green shirt timeshare crowd is just the latest example of greedy people who want an empty beach to welcome their next visit. All along the beachfront corporate beach has been eliminating parking, unnoticed by most.
Surfrider foundation believes that the ocean is ours! Access to it should not be limited to the wealthy or the tourist.
Come join us at Grayton today at 6 PM.

Clean water is good for your soul!