• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Shuttle launch

New posts

Matt J

SWGB
I'm heading down to the beach to see if I can watch the shuttle launch. It's going off at 12:36am central time. Just heard about and it's the first time we've had a cloudless night in NWFL to be able to see it. :wave:
 
:clap:..did you see anything?
 
Yep, it was really cool. Kind of like a fast moving star. The trick is to not look at the horizon since it's still pretty much moving straight up and down so you generally won't see anything. At first I thought it was a shooting star (some of those out too) but it kept going. It was the brightest point in the sky and slowly faded. It finally just blinked out like someone turned off a light switch.

The other cool thing I got to see while waiting was satellite flashes. Basically you find a satellite in the night sky and watch. Occasionally they'll flash with a sort of halo around them. Apparently it's from the panels on them reflecting sun and star light.
 
So way awesome! I'd say I was jealous, but something about your sig keeps me from doing that. ;-)
 
Yep, it was really cool. Kind of like a fast moving star. The trick is to not look at the horizon since it's still pretty much moving straight up and down so you generally won't see anything. At first I thought it was a shooting star (some of those out too) but it kept going. It was the brightest point in the sky and slowly faded. It finally just blinked out like someone turned off a light switch.

The other cool thing I got to see while waiting was satellite flashes. Basically you find a satellite in the night sky and watch. Occasionally they'll flash with a sort of halo around them. Apparently it's from the panels on them reflecting sun and star light.

Whew, glad there wasn't a failure to launch late at night on the beach. I hate it when that happens. Any Sowal buds join you? I prefer the company of cannibis buds:floor:
 
Yep, it was really cool. Kind of like a fast moving star. The trick is to not look at the horizon since it's still pretty much moving straight up and down so you generally won't see anything. At first I thought it was a shooting star (some of those out too) but it kept going. It was the brightest point in the sky and slowly faded. It finally just blinked out like someone turned off a light switch.

The other cool thing I got to see while waiting was satellite flashes. Basically you find a satellite in the night sky and watch. Occasionally they'll flash with a sort of halo around them. Apparently it's from the panels on them reflecting sun and star light.


Must have been that "secret" Castro shuttle from Cuba :biggrin:
 
South Korea launched a rocket yesterday. Maybe you can see South Korea from Sowal at night.:yikes:
 
Haha, there were no chemical additives involved and I know what I saw. I was kind of surprised to wake up to the fact that the shuttle didn't launch. I'll enjoy my moment despite all the negative people.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top