• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Re: South Walton Fire Board

I'd love to see a list of what all our "public officials" are paid (including benefits).

For some reason I'm thinking I won't like how the math works out when you figure their hourly rate:angry:.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Their benefits are 100% paid by the district I think. I'm sure the premiums are higher than a McDonald's employee.

Don't get me wrong, they are in a hazardous job - but that starting salary is substantial amoung "new hires" in Walton County.

It's reeally about how easy it is to "give away other peoples money". Makes them feel good. The commissioners receive a slary of $500 per month or they can opt into the benefits package. Not bad for 1-2 hours per month.

Does the position of fire fighter/PM in SoWal require any previous training, certification, and or experience? Just wondering how much training other positions require. :dunno: I am also wondering how much more life-threatening responsibilities a FF/PM has, versus a garbage loader or a meter checker. :dunno:

Also, I am wondering where a FF married to a stay at home parent, having two kids, would live in SoWal if they tried to buy a home today. Not many trailers left to chose from, today.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

I'd love to see a list of what all our "public officials" are paid (including benefits).

For some reason I'm thinking I won't like how the math works out when you figure their hourly rate:angry:.
I can get you some salary info, but I don't know of a complete list. Any particular office?

WileCoyote

Beach Lover
Dec 5, 2007
Walton County

Noone said take anything away. The question is why increase the bonus from a $25.00 gift ecertificate to $200.

Not the time to do that when the rest of the world has basically abandoned this practice.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Noone said take anything away. The question is why increase the bonus from a $25.00 gift ecertificate to $200.

Not the time to do that when the rest of the world has basically abandoned this practice.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I really thought that you stated in post #7, "Why a bonus at all ?"

I'm not sure what you mean about the rest of the world basically abanodoning the practice of giving a Christmas bonus to full time employees. Most business owners I know never stopped giving a bonus. Maybe I live in la-la land.

In the businesses where I worked, most owners and managers would be laughed at for giving a Christmas bonus on only 3% of their weekly earnings. Here is a big bonus check for $25, now go buy your son and daughter some toys. Don't spend it all in one place. (right) Typically, in the places where I worked, full time employees averaged bonuses between 25%-100% of weekly salaries, depending on the job positions. There were also typically requirements that the full time employee had to have worked at the company for a minimum of 6 months to receive the annual bonus, but one company always waved that and paid the full timers a bonus, too. Employees remember small things like that which can make a big difference in morale, turnover, service provided, going beyond the call of duty, etc.

Last edited:

WileCoyote

Beach Lover
Dec 5, 2007
Walton County

Straight from the SWFD website

The South Walton Fire District (SWFD) is currently recruiting firefighters. Applicants must hold a Florida Certificate of Compliance as a firefighter. EMT or Paramedic preferred. Effective October 1, 2007 FF/EMT starting salary is $38,398 and FF/PM starting salary is $44,121 with additional incentives available. SWFD also offers a comprehensive benefit package.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Straight from the SWFD website

The South Walton Fire District (SWFD) is currently recruiting firefighters. Applicants must hold a Florida Certificate of Compliance as a firefighter. EMT or Paramedic preferred. Effective October 1, 2007 FF/EMT starting salary is $38,398 and FF/PM starting salary is $44,121 with additional incentives available. SWFD also offers a comprehensive benefit package.
Thanks for making my point. FireFighters require certification prior to employment where as most other County jobs do not, other than maybe holding a CDL for a bus driver or a dump truck driver.

Also, if they are having trouble recruiting needed fire fighters, don't you think they should be trying to increase the salary or show the FFs more respect as employees? Part of it is supply and demand. Increase employee morale, and they will be your best recruiters and help to decrease employee turnover.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

I can get you some salary info, but I don't know of a complete list. Any particular office?

No particular office, it just seems to come up more and more that they are overpaid and underqualified/accountable/skilled.

There is specific training required to be an EMT etc. but I don't know the particulars.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006

All work full-time for South Walton Fire District.

Why a 400% increase over last year ? Why a bonus at all ?

The BCC gives a Turkey.

You will loose your money if you think the BCC is above the SWFD in benefits and salaries for the North Walton Fire District.

There are some County managers (at least one ;-)) however that have pulled money out of their own pocket to give the people working under them a monetary sign of appreciation. I am not advocating either way, but I do know that people who feel appreciated, usually appreciate their job more.

jack S

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2007

Firefighter is a life not a job. Give them a break. It is the people not the equipment that makes the fire service what it is. I am sure they will work just as hard to save your house from a fire, or tend the injured at an accident without a bonus! They are wired that way. But, give em the crumby 200 bucks and don't whine about it. They are our south county emergency responders! With all the money that floats around here, treat em right!