• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Re: South Walton Fire Board

Personally I'd like to see them get the money. IMHO $200.00 is a really cheap way of saying "Thanks for protecting my life and property". That's just my $.02.

enfuego

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Paradise

Maybe we should consider that $200 down to $100 is reasonable and that $100 is like $25 dollars in Wiley Coyote's day. I say take care of those who take care of us! Didn't SOWAL fire district lower our millage rate lower this year?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

I think about it this way. It was $25 up to $100.

Just a 400% increase.

I'm guessing that you would also be of the mind to think that giving a 3% increase in salary to someone making only $6 per hour is a great, too, even though it comes to a whopping 18 cents prior to it being taxed. "Yippie! I got a raise!" are not the words you would hear coming from that employee's mouth. You would probably also be ecstatic about getting a discount of 50% when buying a 3-cent peice of gum. Sometimes, you have to look past the percentage or the dollar amount and use some common sense.

If you are so upset about the $20,000, perhaps you should see the County financial statements, which show a lousy return of about 3% on $80 million. Correct that, and maybe every Walton County taxpayer could get a Christmas bonus of $200 without the County being any worse.

Last edited:

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal

Does the position of fire fighter/PM in SoWal require any previous training, certification, and or experience? Just wondering how much training other positions require. :dunno: I am also wondering how much more life-threatening responsibilities a FF/PM has, versus a garbage loader or a meter checker. :dunno:

Also, I am wondering where a FF married to a stay at home parent, having two kids, would live in SoWal if they tried to buy a home today. Not many trailers left to chose from, today.

Joe/Wiley,

I have been in Emergency Medical Services for over 30 years and I'm very familiar with several of the FF/Medics in South Walton. They are required to go through an equivilent of an AD to get their FF and Paramedic cert. This doesn't include the countless hours that they are required just to maintain their certs. South Walton has some of the best FF/Paramedics in the Panhandle....we don't think about that until you need them... The salary they make isn't enough for them to even live in the area that they protect! Most have second or third jobs to survive.

Some would say that the amount of the recommended bonus is excessive to what they received in the past and I would agree, BUT what they have received in the past is pathetic!

We should welcome the bonus and to HELL with these "concerned taxpayers"...who we shouldn't care about on this issue.

WileCoyote

Beach Lover
Dec 5, 2007
Walton County

Compare apples to apples - Same issues are true for Sheriff's deputies. They get a turkey. I know alot of SWFD's finest - they are good at their job, concerned about the community and seem highly motivated. Most I have ever sat down and talked with would simply appreciate that citizens acknowledge their deeds and dedication with a respectful Thank You.

I really don't believe the $100 will be as appreciated as that which I have detailed. Pay them - don't give them a $100 and go home feeling good about yourself.

The issue is not about the actual recipients - it's about the fudicary responsibility that the Fire Board has to the public - not just their employee's.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal

Compare apples to apples - Same issues are true for Sheriff's deputies. They get a turkey. I know alot of SWFD's finest - they are good at their job, concerned about the community and seem highly motivated. Most I have ever sat down and talked with would simply appreciate that citizens acknowledge their deeds and dedication with a respectful Thank You.

I really don't believe the $100 will be as appreciated as that which I have detailed. Pay them - don't give them a $100 and go home feeling good about yourself.

The issue is not about the actual recipients - it's about the fudicary responsibility that the Fire Board has to the public - not just their employee's.

While I can't argue the point about the deputies OR the FF salaries, that is not the discussion of the thread. Both groups deserve better salaries. That is a completely different discussion. This discussion is should they receive a "token" gift of thanks for their service during the holiday season...BTW...THEY will be working on Christmas...will you?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

I still question the number of full time FF in SoWal. I can think of only three active stations, Miramar, Main Headquarters on 393, and WaterColor Crossing on 395. Are there really 33 full time FFs at each of these stations, or am I missing a few stations?

Creeklover

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2007

They have 5 stations Inlet Beach, Water Color, Santa Rosa Beach, Mack Bayou, Miramar. They run 3 shifts 24 hours on and 48 off. They run 5 fire trucks and 3 ambulances. The inlet beach and Miramar stations has 4 firefighters stationed to it and the other 3 have a fire truck and ambulance stationed at it with 6 employees a shift. That comes to 26 employees per shift times 3 shifts. But please do not forget their 911 dispatchers who answer the 911 lines they are always forgotten.