• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Sep 7, 2006
Grayton Beach!
:dunno: :sosad:

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Well, I hope that if that officer is on the scene if I am ever in a car wreck with a broken leg, obviously suffering from pain, and the ambulance is expected to take an hour and a half to get to me, that he doesn't shoot me.

Was any SoWaller present on the beach that evening who can report more info?

Also makes me glad the SO isn't running the lifeguard system! I'd hate to be flopping around on the beach, gasping for air and end up "euthanized"!

:roll:

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
What an unbelievable story, I go to that beach access sometimes -I am so glad I didn't have to witness this event.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I wonder if this is the same cop who invites kids to sound his siren :dunno:

I was thinking the same thing. Isn't there like a waiting list to be a deputy in this county? You would think that they would have the best and brightest. To shoot an endangered animal on the beach... I hope the deputy was just an ultra-senstive soul who made a mistake and not a yahoo thrilled to have an opportunity to use his gun. The PR/spokesperson could really have done a better job with this one.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I was thinking the same thing. Isn't there like a waiting list to be a deputy in this county? You would think that they would have the best and brightest. To shoot an endangered animal on the beach... I hope the deputy was just an ultra-senstive soul who made a mistake and not a yahoo thrilled to have an opportunity to use his gun. The PR/spokesperson could really have done a better job with this one.

All of this certainly makes for an interesting news story, and I hope you are right that he was not just wanting to do some target practice and be seen as the hero for helping put the whale out of its misery. Without being there to see for myself, it would be difficult for me to really point a finger. What is that old saying? "It is easy to coach from the bleachers."

We all probably have some deep-rooted feelings on euthanasia to begin with. I can clearly see two opposing sides to it, and may be able to justify either side at any given time, given the "right" circumstances.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Well, I hope that if that officer is on the scene if I am ever in a car wreck with a broken leg, obviously suffering from pain, and the ambulance is expected to take an hour and a half to get to me, that he doesn't shoot me.

Was any SoWaller present on the beach that evening who can report more info?

I went to the beach that night, but walked down S. Spooky lane. It was windy and the surf was a little rough, so I didn't do my walk. The whlae was between Spooky Lane and Goatfeathers access. Keen named in the article is our friend, and he told us about it last night when we had a Board meeting.
He witnessed the whole thing and still upset about it.:eek:

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
Scary, but the Walton County Sherrif's Office Website does show both an Ahab and a Queequeg as employees.