• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Where do the Hispanics eat?

New posts
Beach Runner said:
When I first saw the thread, I just thought that the question reinforced stereotypes.
BR, I think you need to get to Walgreens and buy a pair of reading glasses. Maybe you'll see things differently. All honkies buy their specs there.
 
Beach Runner said:
Here's where I was coming from: If the purpose of the question was to find a cheap place to eat, why wasn't that asked? Hispanics aren't the only people who want a cheap meal. And if the purpose of the question was to find a good, cheap Mexican restaurant, why wasn't that asked? When I first saw the thread, I just thought that the question reinforced stereotypes.

In addition, I often hear people who want to refer to an ethnic or racial group as distinctly different from them and in a subtly negative manner, they use the word "the," as in "blacks" versus "the blacks," as 30A Skunkape did in using "the Hispanics" versus "Hispanics."

Actually I should be using the term "African-American" rather than blacks, the former of which I believe is the preferred. Similarly, if you search the 'Net (I saw a discussion of this on TV), apparently the term "Latino" is now preferred over "Hispanic" by persons from Mexico because there is a feeling that Hispanic is somewhat derogatory.

Now, after your response, I believe that you meant no harm by your question, 30A Skunkape. Okay? :)

Geez, Latino sounds more offensive than Hispanic.
 
We were naming famous Puerto Ricans in the elevator on the way to Chipotle.

Tito Puente Jr.
Marc Anthony...

Come on, join in.
 
Ricky Martin
Jose Feliciano- Feliz Navidad!
Benincio Del Toro
 
Johnrudy said:
Latino and Latina IS the new preference now.

Just the context it was being used sounded more offensive than Hispanic. That's all.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top