• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I would hope that the incorporated area includes all land South of the Bay. Cities usually cover a range of communities within the borders. Each is important, and they all contribute to the uniqueness of the city.

I'm with most of you though. I would need to hear much more about the proposed structure and type of municipality. Apparently, there are many options and decisions.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I would hope that the incorporated area includes all land South of the Bay. Cities usually cover a range of communities within the borders. Each is important, and they all contribute to the uniqueness of the city. I'm with most of you though. I would need to hear much more about the proposed structure and type of municipality. Apparently, there are many options and decisions.

It is not a fast process. A lot of work goes into the process, but we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I would hope that the incorporated area includes all land South of the Bay. Cities usually cover a range of communities within the borders. Each is important, and they all contribute to the uniqueness of the city.

That isn't possible because of the non contiguous areas of South Walton...unfortunately you can't reinvent those areas.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Non contiguous areas doesn't mean what it used to when it comes to city boundaries. A while back, the city of Niceville was allowed to jump Rocky Bayou and annex a sliver of land east of there, even though the bridge was supposed to make it a non contiguous area.

I'm not happy about that. Niceville had its chance to annex Bluewater/Seminole back in the 70s but turned that down because they didn't want to run water lines to big planned development that might fail. Now it just seems like a money grab on Niceville's part since property values are higher across that bridge.

It boils down to are we a county of land use codes and proper land usage or aren't we? The issue was vetted by the planning commission, both sides were heard by the BCC and, as useless as our MVU code is, it was fully explored as to the verasity of its use. It was decided 4 to 0 rightly that proper criteria was not present for the approval of the project. A lawsuit is a waste of money for both sides.
Planning Commission did not "vet" the project. The PC reviews and makes recommendations but this was a push not a true vetting. Vetting is an entirely different matter. The planning commission could not vet the project without all the evidence and all the evidence was not permitted to be submitted in that meeting. Look or listen to the goings on and you'll see the people were shut down and the applicant given leeway to make statements and testimony that were not permitted to be rebutted. This is not vetting. Not really.

Last edited:

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
Spare us your false outrage.

More than 90% of the county's income comes from south of the Bay. Only 11% of that money is spent in the community that produces it, despite massive infrastructure problems and deficiencies. That community is also severely underrepresented in the local government because of how the districts were gerrymandered.

One vote doesn't change that.

Ding, ding, ding. Best post in the thread. Incorporation won't change much, if anything. You need SoWal County.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Non contiguous areas doesn't mean what it used to when it comes to city boundaries. A while back, the city of Niceville was allowed to jump Rocky Bayou and annex a sliver of land east of there, even though the bridge was supposed to make it a non contiguous area.

I'm not happy about that. Niceville had its chance to annex Bluewater/Seminole back in the 70s but turned that down because they didn't want to run water lines to big planned development that might fail. Now it just seems like a money grab on Niceville's part since property values are higher across that bridge.

The politician (Drake I believe) that SoWal needs a thumbs up from for incorporation to happen lives in Niceville....which I'd be willing to bet was the reason that happened.

SoWal not only faces opposition because of the non contiguous areas, you'll see plenty of it from the local and State reps.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Ding, ding, ding. Best post in the thread. Incorporation won't change much, if anything. You need SoWal County.

I doubt NoWal would give up their beaches without a fight. IMHO an attempt to create a SoWal county would be a form of gentrification run amok.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
The politician (Drake I believe) that SoWal needs a thumbs up from for incorporation to happen lives in Niceville....which I'd be willing to bet was the reason that happened.

SoWal not only faces opposition because of the non contiguous areas, you'll see plenty of it from the local and State reps.

I think Rep Drake still lives in Walton. If he lives in Niceville he would live outside his District as I understand it. No Rep Gaetz may live in Niceville. Either way I would think it would be an interesting fight to see a county form. Money would be flowing from both sides of the issue and with a full time population of approx. 25000 for sowal I am not sure we could sustain it without a big tax increase. The start up cost for providing services would be astronomical. The schools, the roads, the police protection. If you are just talking about forming a city maybe not so much but roads and police protection may be a cost on top of code enforcement. As for representation, don't we all have our own agendas. Look at the alphabet just is sowal they all have their own agendas. Just my opinion. I own property in both the north and south and one day may move back south of the bridge. As it stands I chose to live in unincorporated area for the express purpose of avoiding taxes.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Florida is a diverse state and many of its counties are extremely diverse as well. Walton is not the only county that contains both coastal and interior areas that are populated by very different groups of people with a wide variety of goals. Walton is certainly not unique in that these differences sometimes boil to the point that one group or the other wants a political divorce. At present some groups and leaders in South Florida wish to separate from the North and form their own state. The federal government is not going to allow that and state government is not going to allow the coast to split from the interior for a variety of reasons. So we might as well learn to work together and try to help each other.
I have long believed that what makes the coast better improves the interior and vice versa. It helps no one to harm the coast and kill the proverbial goose laying the proverbial golden eggs. But coastal residents screaming that this is ours and if you do not do what we want we will take our ball and go home does not help anyone. It makes those in the interior furious. Many who live in the north have roots here that go back generations and know that until very recently they and their ancestors paid the bills for the coast. Now it seems the golden goose they cared for all those years wants to deny the golden eggs to the farmer.
Just as bad are those who say that people who have long ties to this area are not smart enough to continue making decisions they have made for generations. Some "natives" believe that those moving in ruined their own home and are now coming here to ruin ours.
Those who have moved here have brought prosperity and and growth to the area. But there has been a cost that "natives" have paid as well. Many of the privileges that we grew up enjoying; in fact our entire way of life in some cases; has changed. When I was younger we could camp on the beach, drive from one end to the other, build bonfires while fishing all night, etc, etc. Some even forgot their clothing in certain areas of the beach now called Rosemary Beach. No one thought they "owned" the beach; we figured God owned it.
Change is going to happen. Whether it is good or bad totally depends on whether we can work together. "A rising tide floats all boats." If people would stop demanding and start explaining their position to others we can all move forward.