• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jenjenbarnes

Beach Comber
Dec 27, 2008
Louisville, Kentucky
I've vacationed to Grayton Beach 2 times so far, and never find a single shell. I end up buying some for the kids at the store. I have heard of Shell Island and was thinking of going there but have heard some people comment it isn't so good anymore. Where is there a beach where my kids can find their own shells? When we went to Clearwater they loved finding the shells but we love Grayton best and want to be able to get them shells too w/out shelling out the $$$ ha ha! Anyone w/some local info would be sooo helpful!!
Thanks!

snowman

Beach Lover
Apr 1, 2008
went for a walk yesterday down topsail state park beach.....saw a lot of perfect shells :D

jenjenbarnes

Beach Comber
Dec 27, 2008
Louisville, Kentucky
thanks, we've stayed there before too but no luck. I shouldn't have said not found a single shell, we've found pieces but nothing big or whole. Just wondering if there was a special beach or area to find them.:dunno:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Shell Island usually works, but it works better to go later in the season. The summer storms bring in shells. Also going early in the season works since no ones been out there scouring for shells during the winter.

During those same times and walking East from Grayton Beach you would probably have luck, if you go the other way someone from the Retreat might have you arrested for theft.

Words in italics are sarcasm.

fishcookies

Beach Comber
Mar 11, 2008
shelling strategy?

I don't know if I can really be of much help, but we've been coming to SoWal for the last several years, and my favorite part has been the shelling. I think the reason I've enjoyed it so much is that few people seem to be doing it -- perhaps assuming there aren't any to be found. Of course, the second day after a storm seems to be the best time to try, but I find moonshells, augers and tons of olive shells every time we visit. I use a small net and look for them in the water right against the surf break line -- we also snorkel in the shallows for them, too. One summer, I was digging my toes in the shallows, and found a chesnut turban with a beautiful gold interior -- and some kids had been netting around for shells in that area all day with no success. Maybe I just have radar or something... But don't give up. My best success has been at Seagrove Beach a bit down the western side of the beach from the Eastern Lake outflow. My absolute favorites are scotch bonnets, and the weird thing is, 2 or 3 years in a row I found them in the exact same location on that beach -- as long as I was the first one up in the morning to go looking... I've even come across coral, murex and top shells - which are exotic-looking. Don't forget to check the June grass, too, if you happen to be there when it washes in -- we found hamburger beans and sea heart beans in it last year, not to mention tons of great critters for the daily beach bucket aquarium...

I guess I'm obviously an amateur shell geek, but I found two great books specific to the Florida shells that were fascinating -- "Florida's Fabulous Seashells," and "Florida's Living Beaches: A Guide for the Curious Beachcomber." The 'Living Beaches' one even shows charts for each item, marking where along Florida's coastline you can expect to find it. Happy hunting!

jd

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2008
Atlanta
Well, if you don't mind a bit of a drive, Sanibel and Captiva, off of Fort Meyers are the "gold standard" for shelling in Fl. and probably just about anywhere in the US! I have amazing shells from there and you don't have to look hard...just look down!

jd

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2008
Atlanta
Some common shells in the area mentioned above are:
Cone shells, juvenile fighting conch, olive, scallops (beautiful colors!), murex, scotch bonnet, tulip shell,lightning whelk, pear whelk, and the list goes on and on.
I will try to post a picture of my prize shell from there...an alphabet cone!