• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
To what end?
At what point in history would you like to go back and "preserve natural areas for future generations"?
1990? !980? 1970? 1950? Earlier?
Was it ok when Grayton Beach was developed at the beginning of the last century?
Is 40% of south walton not enough?
Is Grayton Beach State Park and others along the coast not enough?
75% sounds like a good number. As long as that is enough to include every dune that ever existed and every coastal dune lake shoreline for 1/4 mile.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
It means keep grubby hands off our state lands. I draw the line at people trying to develop state parks and forests. I am in favor of adding to them when feasible.

Building next to a dune lake outfall is a bad idea and should be prevented if possible.

I'm sure you would be sad to live in a world where SoWal was part of Gulf Islands National Seashore from Cape San Blas to Orange Beach but that would be the result of giving me the keys to a time machine.
How can you possibly know this?
And to a degree that you are sure.
Seems a little presumptuous, no?

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
How can you possibly know this?
And to a degree that you are sure.
Seems a little presumptuous, no?
Probably because you brought up property rights in a discussion about a coastal dune lake Outfall on a lot that is clear from the photo should not be built on.

I've watched the sunrise on that spot. IMHO we don't need another mansion built there even if there was space. Once dunes are gone they are gone forever.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Probably because you brought up property rights in a discussion about a coastal dune lake Outfall on a lot that is clear from the photo should not be built on.

I've watched the sunrise on that spot. IMHO we don't need another mansion built there even if there was space. Once dunes are gone they are gone forever.
So, if it is clear to you that it should not be built on...are you prepared to write that 9 million dollar check and insure that it is not built on?