• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

9t

Beach Lover
Dec 7, 2009
We have Centurylink as our ISP and Dish for TV. We are generally happy with Centurylink's speed to the house (we get ~ 9 to 10 Mbps) which is very good since we are subscribed to the 12 Mbps package.

Mediacom may wire down our street. We don't like DISH and would like to switch to Mediacom for TV and possibly, Internet.

Thus, I would like to hear how fast your Actual internet Mediacom speed you are receiving versus what you are paying for.

I know Cable is different (user dependent?) than DSL but wanted to get a general idea.

I use:

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and
Speakeasy - Speed Test

Thanks

Last edited:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I can't speak to MediaCon's internet service, since I never had it, but I had their cable tv for years. I switched to Dish, and I much prefer it. Service for the cable with MediaCrap was, well, crap. Worse than crap. And the price just kept going up and up and up, several times in the last year I had their service.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
Well, you are in luck because I have both. I work from home and need to have a backup if my isp goes down (which Mediacom seemed to do frequently). I work primarily on my dsl router and leave the mediacom for the wireless router which the family accesses. I have VOIP phone and shadow clients pretty seamlessly with the dsl.
However, if I didn't have to have a backup plan, since we have cable, I would not have centurylink at all. I don't use a landline so why pay for extra service.
These are my results this morning.
Download speed 11.56/upload .95 on mediacom with a wireless router.
.78/.38 for DSL with the modem connected directly to my computer

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If you are using a wireless router, your upload and download speeds are limited to the capabilities of the router and not the provider. Need to keep that in mind. Your test may show a gagillion mps, but the actual speed will be what the router will transmit to the computer.

9t

Beach Lover
Dec 7, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I am going to keep Centurylink as my ISP for now. Our speeds are consistently at 9-10 Mbps wireless (paying for 12 Mbps).

I read that with cable ISPs, traffic tends to be an issue. Or, it could be a marketing tool for DSL providers.

We'd like to switch our video service to Mediacom though.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
and, remember that the more people on the grid with cable, the slower the speed. Usually, MediaCON's printed advertising will say, speeds "up to 12mb/s."