• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kayti elliott

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
Freeport
I would think that if one is to be an effective advocate for teachers and students, one would at least find out all they can about the school board and the members' qualifications.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I would think that if one is to be an effective advocate for teachers and students, one would at least find out all they can about the school board and the members' qualifications.

Oh, I'm sure there is much more to come about the new candidate and I'm absolutely sure that privatization of the public school system is not the solution to this counties problems. I've seen enough to know that the organizations he has linked himself to and freely admits he is a party to spell t r o u b l e and currently we have more than our share.

andrewrcamp

Beach Crab
Feb 17, 2014
I wanted to share this news that I recently sent out to folks who supported my campaign.

Dear Friends:

I've decided to end my candidacy for the Walton County School Board.

I have appreciated the support I've received and the friendships I've made throughout this (remarkably short) campaign.

Right now, I think that it's best if I spend some more time getting more involved in our community, as a volunteer and concerned citizen, and promoting the issues I care about. Running a campaign for the school board just isn't the right fit for me, right now.

I've never considered myself a political guy, and in just a few weeks, I proved to myself that I'm not.

I decided to run because I thought I could be a productive member of the school board. There are serious issues to resolve in Walton County, and I still want to be a productive part of finding common ground and common-sense solutions.

Instead of doing that as a school board member, I'd like to work to advance some of the issues I mentioned in my (brief) campaign, in partnership with folks in our community.

Here's where I think we can start: by working together to get more community input in decisions made about our schools, and by holding more meetings all throughout the county, so that it's convenient for parents to have their voices heard. I think that's where I'd like to focus my efforts locally -- not as a candidate for office.

Thank you for considering my candidacy and for your advice -- and please feel free to email me personally if you have ideas where you think I can help moving forward: andrewrcamp@gmail.com.

Best,
Andrew

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks Andrew. We may have some extreme differences when it comes to school privatization, but we are on the same page when it comes to some of the other issues. Even though your campaign was short, it was classy and professional.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Andrew Campanella wrote;
Right now, I think that it's best if I spend some more time getting more involved in our community, as a volunteer and concerned citizen, and promoting the issues I care about.

Not a bad idea! :thanks:

Last edited:

kayti elliott

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
Freeport
I'm new to the area and I don't exactly live in the south end of the county, but my impression is that there area a lot of snobs who live on or near the coast and they don't accept outsiders. The odd thing is that most of the people I've met who live on the coast aren't natives of the area either. I don't mean to insult anyone but it's confusing to me.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I don't get it. Why have they chosen to drop him into Walton Co., of all places?

Are they running out of vulnerable school districts to target?

Or is it a training mission - if you can succeed where they've got a well-regarded public system, we'll promote you to the big time.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I'm new to the area and I don't exactly live in the south end of the county, but my impression is that there area a lot of snobs who live on or near the coast and they don't accept outsiders. The odd thing is that most of the people I've met who live on the coast aren't natives of the area either. I don't mean to insult anyone but it's confusing to me.

The issue wasn't so much that Campanella "isn't from around here"! For me personally, it was all about the organizations he is directly linked to. I can live with "snob" if it means keeping the public school system public but I'd have a really hard time sleeping at night if my child(s) education was being threatened by an individual with an enormous agenda to privatize what millions of people in this country have taken advantage of....PUBLIC EDUCATION.

If that is confusing, perhaps a crash course in some of the organizations that have been linked here might help with enlightenment....ALEC, SCHOOL CHOICE, THE AFC, CHILDREN FIRST AMERICA, CHILDREN'S EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY FOUNDATION OF AMERICA