• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Riptide

Beach Crab
Jan 30, 2024
River Ridge La
Hi, I'm new to the forum. My family will be visiting in a few months and will be staying next to Oyster Lake. Can you fish in there? Is it fresh water? Is there a place close by to rent a paddleboard? Thanks for any assistance.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
:welcome: :sowal:

It's open to the Gulf sometimes so brackish but mostly fresh. You'll catch fresh and possibly saltwater species. Right down the road is Stinkys Bait Shack they will have all the knowledge, bait, gear etc.

Anyone in SoWal that rents gear will deliver and pick up boards for you. You can also rent Paddle boards and/or fish Western Lake go to the WaterColor Boathouse.

PapaG

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2021
Santa Rosa Beach
I respectfully disagree. I live right next to Oyster Lake. True it is brackish. I have fished it a lot with various bait and lures and caught only small trout and maybe a small redfish or two. The same with all the coastal dune lakes, they are all tough fishing and they all get a lot of fishing pressure. I have had better luck fishing in them from a kayak than the shore, but IMO, getting a kayak in any of them with all your gear and trying to fish is just not worth the effort. You would be much more likely to catch a decent fish under more enjoyable circumstances by shore fishing the Gulf for pompano, whiting, reds, etc. Stinky's can probably hook you up with bait and rigs.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I respectfully disagree. I live right next to Oyster Lake. True it is brackish. I have fished it a lot with various bait and lures and caught only small trout and maybe a small redfish or two. The same with all the coastal dune lakes, they are all tough fishing and they all get a lot of fishing pressure. I have had better luck fishing in them from a kayak than the shore, but IMO, getting a kayak in any of them with all your gear and trying to fish is just not worth the effort. You would be much more likely to catch a decent fish under more enjoyable circumstances by shore fishing the Gulf for pompano, whiting, reds, etc. Stinky's can probably hook you up with bait and rigs.
Fished out? There used to be a lot of bass, bream and catfish.