• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009
does anybody know if there is any place to buy kosher meat/poultry in the area?
also, aside from ft. walton, are there any synagogues or jewish community groups celebrating passover?

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
This week's Publix flyer for the Birmingham suburbs features kosher items for Passover; I'm not sure if the Seagrove/Watercolor location would have all of these items, but the larger Pirate's Cove and Grand Boulevard locations may have the same items.

(and the same ad had spiral hams and purple Easter cakes for the rest-of-us..)

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009
we found some frozen kosher meat at the destin (paradise key) publix!
hurrah!

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
I think the flyer up here (B'ham) had some of their kosher premium meats, even a lamb shank if I recall, but there were some frozen items too. Glad you were able to find what you needed; enjoy your feast!

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009
I think the flyer up here (B'ham) had some of their kosher premium meats, even a lamb shank if I recall, but there were some frozen items too. Glad you were able to find what you needed; enjoy your feast!

well, publix does carry lines of kosher meat, but as it was explained to me by the manager at the sandestin publix (very rudely and at the top of his lungs). he doesn't have a door for it! i asked around and found out that means he doesn't have shelf space for it. which i thought was a bizarre answer to a customer, to tell them that it wasn't a priority to service their needs or carry a product for a family that comes their regularly. but whatever, we're going to destin to get some frozen chicken. it's not exactly passover food, but you learn to make do! :)

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009
funny, i just read an interview with robert & daryl davis - founders of seaside. and they were talking about why they left 10 years ago and moved to san francisco. it was because they're jewish and wanted their son to have a barmitzvah and felt it was an impossibility here.

i hope some things have changed in 10 years! i remember an emerald coast jewish community group from a couple years ago- we went to one of their events. but now they seem to be defunct. hm. one step forward, two steps back?

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
funny, i just read an interview with robert & daryl davis - founders of seaside. and they were talking about why they left 10 years ago and moved to san francisco. it was because they're jewish and wanted their son to have a barmitzvah and felt it was an impossibility here.

i hope some things have changed in 10 years! i remember an emerald coast jewish community group from a couple years ago- we went to one of their events. but now they seem to be defunct. hm. one step forward, two steps back?

We recently attended a local batmitzvah and it was a wonderful event. It was possible because the young woman who the batmitzvah was for, had much of her Torah lessons over the internet with a rabbi in Dothan.

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009
We recently attended a local batmitzvah and it was a wonderful event. It was possible because the young woman who the batmitzvah was for, had much of her Torah lessons over the internet with a rabbi in Dothan.

awesome! what congregation?