• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I think erecting statues and monuments celebrating armed rebellion in defense of slavery adds to the divisiveness in this nation. Your thoughts?
Would you like my thoughts? Sometimes I wish I had the insensitivity of Poppaj and use words that would make your head spin :)

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Would you like my thoughts? Sometimes I wish I had the insensitivity of Poppaj and use words that would make your head spin :)
Insensitivity isn’t an adjective I would use to describe Poppaj. On the contrary, I think he has strong feelings about trying to remove hatred and bigotry from the country. He has a low tolerance for people that condone slavery and insurrection and he lets it be known.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Insensitivity isn’t an adjective I would use to describe Poppaj. On the contrary, I think he has strong feelings about trying to remove hatred and bigotry from the country. He has a low tolerance for people that condone slavery and insurrection and he lets it be known.
My point is that we just can't call people and groups of people these hideous names just to feel superior in morality or anything else. It is more than insensitivity. It hides our own imperfections which is not honest. We can't improve ourselves like that. I think we all want the same things in life. We can have differences of opinions but we cross a line of believing that we are superior to another person when we use these names to describe people we do not even "know". It is dangerous in my opinion because it makes people even more tribal and that means conflict is going to happen. We have to start dealing with our own impatience and insensitivity before it is too late. None of us know everything especially me then we have our emotions to deal with. My wife points out than men are less sensitive than women more than a few times :). A lot of things are just human nature. I am impatient as well as insensitive as well as selfish and on and on. We are more alike than we are different. If we are going to learn how not to hate then we have to start there...

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
My point is that we just can't call people and groups of people these hideous names just to feel superior in morality or anything else. It is more than insensitivity. It hides our own imperfections which is not honest. We can't improve ourselves like that. I think we all want the same things in life. We can have differences of opinions but we cross a line of believing that we are superior to another person when we use these names to describe people we do not even "know". It is dangerous in my opinion because it makes people even more tribal and that means conflict is going to happen. We have to start dealing with our own impatience and insensitivity before it is too late. None of us know everything especially me then we have our emotions to deal with. My wife points out than men are less sensitive than women more than a few times :). A lot of things are just human nature. I am impatient as well as insensitive as well as selfish and on and on. We are more alike than we are different. If we are going to learn how not to hate then we have to start there...
You have this backwards. I have never claimed or insinuated I am superior to anyone. It is the bigots, racists, etc who feel superior by attempting to marginalize those they dislike simply because their skin is a different color, their faith is different, they look and speak differently, or who they chose to love doesn’t align with their personal beliefs.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
You have this backwards. I have never claimed or insinuated I am superior to anyone. It is the bigots, racists, etc who feel superior by attempting to marginalize those they dislike simply because their skin is a different color, their faith is different, they look and speak differently, or who they chose to love doesn’t align with their personal beliefs.
If I've learned anything from the past several years, it's that white supremacy/Christian Nationalism persists in many ways. But America is not defined by that small minority. We are much bigger than that.

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
We all marginalize. Very few are racist bigots etc. It is almost like we choose to be divisive and hate others regardless of skin color. We assume everyone must be a racist bigot etc. if they vote a certain way. What you are describing is fear which is part of human nature. When people fear they become vulnerable to false prophets. Anyway if we do not get rid of all this hate it is not going to be a quality of life for anyone including minorities. It is the exact wish of people like Vladimir Putin!

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
If I've learned anything from the past several years, it's that white supremacy/Christian Nationalism persists in many ways. But America is not defined by that small minority. We are much bigger than that.
White Supremacist are a very small minority. Christian Nationalist are a much bigger percentage of the population and is what is driving much of this extreme movement toward the right. America has an identification crisis. Who are we? What do we want? Do we want to hate or do we want to live and let live?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
White Supremacist are a very small minority. Christian Nationalist are a much bigger percentage of the population and is what is driving much of this extreme movement toward the right. America has an identification crisis. Who are we? What do we want? Do we want to hate or do we want to live and let live?
I see them as the same. But definitely a minority. One with some influence on today's political environment. They will wane once again. But it's up to us to stand up, be informed, use our voices and protect democracy.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I see them as the same. But definitely a minority. One with some influence on today's political environment. They will wane once again. But it's up to us to stand up, be informed, use our voices and protect democracy.
Absolutely stand up for our freedoms. Listen and learn to be informed. Protect Democracy by voting and encouraging others to vote. Those two groups are different. I know it is hard to see the difference sometimes but they are different.

Professor

Beach Lover
May 20, 2021
Santa Rosa Beach
What about Southerners who can show that their families did not hold slaves, yet their properties, cities, towns, were invaded by federal soldiers? To them, the flag represents their country, their heritage.

Do their views matter? Or are the only valid viewpoints are those that take a narrow view of the flag and try and it use it as a modern day hammer to shame people and try and make them feel guilty for something they had zero to do with?