• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
dsilva,
Shelly knows what hollibird is saying, and that is why he questioned it. Shelly is simply pointing out that sometimes we forget the big picture because we focus on the wrong thing. Forget about your neighbors house valuation, focus on your own. Otherwise, you may get into trouble, if not with the gov't, then maybe your neighbor. I know of a few houses which were built several years ago, that are still showing up on the tax rolls as vacant land. I say, lucky them.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
dsilvar said:
And Shelly...you know what Hollibird meant to say..c'mon...

"I got my taxes (Okaloosa) $10,000. They claim my house (new, 2 story... destiny west) is worth $70,000 more than my neighbor who has more square footage, one story. no more upgrades than me.... I think they pull prices out of their asses. PLUS we would not be able to sell our homes at the price they claim. we are doing the petition thing."

I think:dunno:

DS,

Someone is pulling something out of somewhere -- your reengineered version of Hollibird's statement makes even less sense than the original.

SJ is right on the money. If the tax guy is under-assessing...where do I sign up???

One of the tax assessor's flying monkeys showed up on my doorstep right after Hurricane Dennis; he was snooping around for a look-see at a new storage area I had built (apparently they've been viewing a lot of satellite images) and updated his records to increase my property value.

You questioned whether it is right for homesteaders to pay less than non-homesteaders? Damn straight it is! Especially since we're the folks who have the vote and have to suffer 24/7 with the lunatics running the asylum up in Talla. There are other states with a more "equitable" property tax system for residents and investulators alike--maybe it would be a better choice to buy somewhere else...there's certainly plenty to chose from since it's a buyer's market in those states too.

dsilvar

Beach Fanatic
Jan 12, 2006
Miramar beach
SHELLY said:
DS,
You questioned whether it is right for homesteaders to pay less than non-homesteaders? Damn straight it is! Especially since we're the folks who have the vote and have to suffer 24/7 with the lunatics running the asylum up in Talla. There are other states with a more "equitable" property tax system for residents and investulators alike--maybe it would be a better choice to buy somewhere else...there's certainly plenty to chose from since it's a buyer's market in those states too.
Shelly,
I am invested in the states of Oregon and Washington.
Both these states have very fair and equitable property tax systems.
Fair to all property owners equally. Ergo: equitable.

There is inherently something discriminatory about your bias against non-homesteaders. OK for us to pay taxes to subsidize your life style and local goverment, but not good enough to be treated "equitably".

I don't quite get your rant on "suffering" state goverment or voting. But all that is academic. I have chosen Florida to be my home state..that is still permissible ya?

This afternoon, I recieved a call from the Okaloosa property assessor..He was sympathetic to my point of view and has agreed to relook at his assessment of lots in Destiny West.
I feel sure I will get a more equitable assesment. Don't get me wrong..I am glad to pay my due taxes on that lot..equitable or not, under homestead exemption or not...because in the end (10 years and $100,000 in taxes later) I will come out ahead..gauronteed!

On a personal note tho'..I really do like your take on things, Shelly, your dry sense of humor and width of knowledge. But there is something visceral about your reaction to "investulators in Florida" that eats at your soul. and that saddens me. Thats all bro'
Peace.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Just wanted to point out that even if you are a Florida resident, it doesn't make the property taxes equitable, county-to-county. Our millage rate in Hillsborough is north of 28 :eek: where by comparison, in Walton it is under 10. The taxes in Walton County can end up being a bargain even for those who don't homestead. Depending on your perspective of course. Obviously there are many, many more services, schools, etc. here so a higher millage rate probably is justified, but one that is three times higher? C'mon. You can't blame investulators for that. Blame this one on the lunatics that SHELLY refers to.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
SHELLY said:
DS,

Someone is pulling something out of somewhere -- your reengineered version of Hollibird's statement makes even less sense than the original.

SJ is right on the money. If the tax guy is under-assessing...where do I sign up???

One of the tax assessor's flying monkeys showed up on my doorstep right after Hurricane Dennis; he was snooping around for a look-see at a new storage area I had built (apparently they've been viewing a lot of satellite images) and updated his records to increase my property value.

Nice "screw you, I've got mine" attitude. Goes perfect with a law degree and a glass of chianti!
The minute you sell and move within Florida, you fall victim to this abomination of a State Amendment. Save our Homes is born of the same thinking that cost shifts insurance shortfalls. Selfishness anyone???

Last edited:

Pirate

Beach Fanatic
Jan 2, 2006
dsilvar said:
Pirate..shutup dumbass.:rotfl:

That was a lighthearted stab at one of the most annoying facts of life Dsilvar, taxes. Only you would make that a 3 word sentence and use it to question intelligence. I pay the inflated taxes just like you.

FYI for those who can read and type english. I have a lawyer in ATL who performs RE tax appeals for me and doesn't charge unless the appeal is successful. He recommended I not appeal the FL taxes. He has appealed properties and they raised the neighbors valuations, talk about making friends! I would have a professional address any valuation appeal.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
The best way to fight an assessment is to spend the money and get a professional property appraisal to arm yourself when petitioning the assessors office. Don't use neighbors homes etc.

As far as homesteading, I believe that there should be caps for people who bought property as their primary residence AND have attained a certain age.
60+ for expample, since they may be on a fixed income, and their home values should not be the determining factor in the rate they pay for taxes.

Otherwise, I feel that taxes should be fair and equitable for everyone who owns property in the area. We may not live there full time as of yet, but surely have a vested interest in what goes on politically in all aspects.

If Florida was smart, they would have implemented a state mortgage tax, like we have in New York, when the real estate boom was going on and dipped their hands into the pockets of the investulators.

The people who bought for the long run, or have second homes DO have a vested interest in the area. Just because fiscally they can not live there full time, doesn't mean that they don't care.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Mango said:
As far as homesteading, I believe that there should be caps for people who bought property as their primary residence AND have attained a certain age. 60+ for expample, since they may be on a fixed income, and their home values should not be the determining factor in the rate they pay for taxes.

Mango, I believe that was one of the "solutions" tossed around during the last legislative session -- or maybe the one before that -- when the Save Our Homes Cap became (temporarily) a big issue. And modifying SOH in that manner makes some sense. The original purpose of the law after all was to make sure the little old ladies didn't lose their homes due to rising taxes, which I understand is a problem in some states.

Of course nothing was done. The reason it was discussed at all was because some braniacs came up with the idea that Florida homeowners should be able to "take their caps with them" when they downsized or moved up to a different home in Florida, which would obviously increase the inequity of the tax rolls, laying even more of the burden on the poor slobs just moving to Florida or buying their first homes or just not homesteading. There was a lot of discussion and hot air but no solutions. Just a precursor in that regard to the insurance crisis! Hoo boy! Now we have little old ladies losing their homes -- or just not insuring them -- because their insurance bill has tripled in the past two years. And again we have ... no solutions.