• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
You didn't answer the question but moving on...SoWal compared to many other places is quite expensive for instance the Cape San Blas area which is nestled into St. Joseph Aquatic Preserve and State Land Preserve. The beaches are much wider (overall), the people are friendly as is possible; SoWal has no lock on any of what you have mentioned and you pay a dear price in cost of housing, less natural environ and much, much higher density living.

I said I DO live in a private place already, in the middle of a state forest, in fact, with plenty of woods and space all around, on the water with marsh land, bayou and bay as far as the eye can see. -so, no, I have no need to move. it's about as private as you can possibly get.

we love cape san blas, especially indian pass, and visit often. it's so relaxing because there is almost nothing to do there unless you fish or scallop, or drive up to the apalachicola for some shopping. the piggly wiggly is charming. and some good seafood too (something sowal is quite lacking). it is an ideal vacation destination for those who enjoy a real get away (I do!). take your own food and plenty of reading material! and take your dogs - they love the wide open beaches and you have them all to yourself.

Last edited:

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
Sheep, I was reading my treasured book of stories by Somerset Maugham and one had a passage that might explain something to you. In the story, Maugham commented on a book about travelling and the two kinds of travellers there are: the armchair traveller who never leaves his room or his imagination, and therefore suffers no loss of illusion, and the other, which he describes as such:

"...there are people who take salt in their coffee. They say it gives it a tang, a savour, which is peculiar and fascinating. In the same way, there are certain places, surrounded by a halo of romance, to which the inevitable disillusionment which you must experience on seeing them gives a singular spice. You had expected something wholly beautiful and you get an impression which is infinitely more complicated than any that beauty can give you. It is like the weakness in the character of a great man which may make him less admirable but certianly makes him more interesting."

Maybe those of us who love SoWal, despite or because of what it has become, are those who can take the salt in the coffee. Maybe you are of the no-salt variety, that's all. What we love in our coffee ruins it for you.
Yes, I would agree but add that there is salt in all of Life's coffee and in this thread I have sought why it is that the SoWal coffee, particularly heavy salted, is so preferred since the alternatives exist. Therein lies the Keys To The Kingdom (of Understanding).

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
I said I DO live in a private place already, in the middle of a state forest, in fact, with plenty of woods and space all around, on the water with marsh land, bayou and bay as far as the eye can see. -so, no, I have no need to move. it's about as private as you can possibly get.

we love cape san blas, especially indian pass, and visit often. it's so relaxing because there is almost nothing to do there unless you fish or scallop, or drive up to the apalachicola for some shopping. the piggly wiggly is charming. and some good seafood too (something sowal is quite lacking). it is an ideal vacation destination for those who enjoy a real get away (I do!). take your own food and plenty of reading material! and take your dogs - they love the wide open beaches and you have them all to yourself.
You are more the rare SoWallian with so much freespace, my queries are directed to those that have chosen, say, Rosemary Beach than your estate.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
So, maybe The Sheep needs to graze Cape San Blas more often.
So, maybe if one only grazes where one is most comfortable, one learns much of nothing? :shock:

Last edited:

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
I was NOT talking to you:nono1: :nono1:
Oh comeon,let me in the sorority, I have ciggies we can smoke and tell each other about our periods and act like we really really really give a flying fock about one another!! :clap_1:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Sheep, I think you have a whacked-out view of life in SOWAL if you think that the only living options are Rosemary Beach or something north of the bay among the mere mortals. Might I suggest you take your next holiday in Mossy Head-BYOKY:funn:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
There are, of course, too many beautiful places on earth for any one person to visit in a life time -- ten lifetimes. I think we all choose where we want to find our beauty, friends, peace, etc. If we're really lucky, we get to know some of these places more deeply and become part of the community with friends, family, and even a history within that community and some contributions to that community.

Clearly, what works as beauty and the good life for some people doesn't work for others. I like having people next door to me and I like sitting on the porch watching people walk by, talking to them, inviting them up for a snack -- it's the kind of environment I want our kids to grow up in as well. I like the kids hopping on a bike or taking a walk and knowing they can go to the beach, the market, a store, a fountain, a place to snack, a state park, etc. As an adult, I like being able to have all those things as well as many different kinds of restaurants, shops, a fantastic bookstore, outdoor concerts, even massages a few times a year. And all this within 6 miles of our cottage. And I know that most of the year -- September - May, I can get exceptional peace and quiet as well (with the exception of spring break). In the late fall, it's often just me and those I'm with at the beach and the Monarch Butterflies that migrate through for hours on end unless I/we seek out company. We've been connected to SoWal for over 4 years now and we're still looking forward to exploring some of the other areas nearby -- Cape Blas, etc. -- the nice thing about having a place here is that I'm not in a hurry to do those things because I figure we'll have decades to explore the area and for now we're just so happy right on our porch/beach/pool with each other and the wonderful people we've gotten to know in SoWal.

As some people on this board know, my two other favorite places on earth are a little town in Tuscany where my father was from and the coast of Maine. But SoWal has my heart - sigh :love: Of course, SoWal has plenty of growing pains, but I'm happy to be part of it as it continues to find its way (that little town in Italy and the coast of Maine have changed, too, in the decades I've known them, but they're still awesome to me).

Frankly, my favorite threads on this board are not those that focus on complaints/insults/snide remarks, but those that share good humor, good will in good times and bad times, beautiful photos, and good ideas about places in SoWal and elsewhere to go, things to do, food, etc. But that's the beautify of SoWal.com -- there's something for everyone!

Last edited:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
There are, of course, too many beautiful places on earth for any one person to visit in a life time -- ten lifetimes. I think we all choose where we want to find our beauty, friends, peace, etc. If we're really lucky, we get to know some of these places more deeply and become part of the community with friends, family, and even a history within that community and some contributions to that community.

Clearly, what works as beauty and the good life for some people doesn't work for others. I like having people next door to me and I like sitting on the porch watching people walk by, talking to them, inviting them up for a snack -- it's the kind of environment I want our kids to grow up in as well. I like the kids hopping on a bike or taking a walk and knowing they can go to the beach, the market, a store, a fountain, a place to snack, a state park, etc. As an adult, I like being able to have all those things as well as many different kinds of restaurants, shops, a fantastic bookstore, outdoor concerts, even massages a few times a year. And all this within 6 miles of our cottage. And I know that most of the year -- September - May, I can get exceptional peace and quiet as well (with the exception of spring break). In the late fall, it's often just me and those I'm with at the beach and the Monarch Butterflies that migrate through for hours on end unless I/we seek out company. We've been connected to SoWal for over 4 years now and we're still looking forward to exploring some of the other areas nearby -- Cape Blas, etc. -- the nice thing about having a place here is that I'm not in a hurry to do those things because I figure we'll have decades to explore the area and for now we're just so happy right on our porch/beach/pool with each other and the wonderful people we've gotten to know in SoWal.

As some people on this board know, my two other favorite places on earth are a little town in Tuscany where my father was from and the coast of Maine. But SoWal has my heart - sigh :love: Of course, SoWal has plenty of growing pains, but I'm happy to be part of it as it continues to find its way (that little town in Italy and the coast of Maine have changed, too, in the decades I've known them, but they're still awesome to me).

Frankly, my favorite threads on this board are not those that focus on complaints/insults/snide remarks, but those that share good humor, good will in good times and bad times, beautiful photos, and good ideas about places in SoWal and elsewhere to go, things to do, food, etc. But that's the beautify of SoWal.com -- there's something for everyone!

Paula--:love: :love:

TripleB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 15, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I'm not sure but I think I may have seen TheSheep this weekend in SoWal! An angry looking man wearing a "I visited SoWal and all I got was this lousy shirt." , flipped me off at the 395 intersection.