• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Worry!

New posts
Science isn't necessarily about the why or who but the how.

And with a lot of quantum physics and creational science pointing these days to dark matter, string theory and a now believed 11 dimensions (as I understand it: 3 spatial, 1 time, 1 string, 5 superstring, and the newly "discovered" M-theory dimension making strings mathematically possible), I believe science is getting closer to the man behind the curtain, but it's the curtain that science will never be able to see behind. It's just an impossibility and a lock for which there exists no key.

I for one believe Big Bang or what have you, merely came to exist thru what we would know as a space-time rift or some indiscoverable dimensional plane. To God it's merely "his" fingertip. I'm completely fascinated by the details our collective minds discover and try to piece together. Not that I pretend to understand it in any great detail, but I enjoy the Cliff's Notes science documentaries provide. I love the details but don't get so bogged down by them that I forget the big picture, which to me is; someday science will explain most all the HOW, but without God's permission we will always always be one answer short.

Who wants all the answers anyway?? That takes the funn out of it! :D

This thread is like a trainwreck--I can't take my eyes off it. Yet I love reading things like this post, TNJed.

One of the things I was thinking about today (and I have to be brief--I'm off to meet with a client) was exactly along these lines. I don't think mankind will ever be able to answer SJ's question about who made God, but the reason I can't go along with Uncle Timmy's humanistic reasoning is because I, as a human being, want to know not only how, where, and when, but who and why. Theists are accused of creating gods to soothe themselves; the very fact that humans need to be soothed is miraculous in itself. That--and not the intestinal construction--is the image of God. We are rational, emotional beings. Pretty amazing.

One more thing, and I have to run:

Three engineering students are discussing what sort of god must have designed the human body. The first says, "God must be a mechanical engineer. Look at all the joints."

The second says, "I think God must be an electrical engineer. The nervous system has thousands of electrical connections."

The third said, "Actually, God is a civil engineer. Who else would run a toxic waste pipeline through a recreational area?"
 
Last edited:
Theists are accused of creating gods to soothe themselves; the very fact that humans need to be soothed is miraculous in itself. That--and not the intestinal construction--is the image of God. We are rational, emotional beings. Pretty amazing.

Yup

:clap:
 
The idea of one infallible book containing the true word of God is quite a leap of ......, and a complete suspension of .......
 
The idea of one infallible book containing the true word of God is quite a leap of ......, and a complete suspension of .......

No doubt about it...;-)

While the vocal minority of evangelical Christians appear to be nuttier than squirrel poop, the silent majority--including yours truly--doesn't think about things all that differently than you do. (Or maybe I'm not all that silent!:idontno:)
 
Last edited:
No doubt about it...;-)

I hope I'm driving home one point: While the vocal minority of evangelical Christians appear to be nuttier than squirrel poop, the silent majority--including yours truly--doesn't think about things all that differently than you do.

Amen.
 
Even though you're being a complete smart@$$, this is the one big mamby-jamby question that really intrigues me. (I already told you I don't have an answer to it; only thoughts.) The one comment I'll make before I get to the aforementioned laundry is that how come this is such a fly in the ointment and the Big Bang isn't? Why doe scientists rewind to the Bang, but never ask what Banged? Einstein told us that something can't come from nothing, so we know that SOMETHING had to be there before the Bang. ALL of the arguments about the Origins of Man are really about the Develoment of Man; we still don't know where we really, really came from.

I've always questioned what banged to make the Universe, and I wasn't trying to be a smart@ss. ;-) I think it is a good question.
 
I've always questioned what banged to make the Universe, and I wasn't trying to be a smart@ss. ;-) I think it is a good question.

Oh, no--I should have qualified that remark. I adore you for being a smart@$$ (I might have a little crush, in fact! ;-)) and it's a wonderful question!!!
 
Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
 
I might have overstated that...

Um...how about this:

"Smart@$$" wasn't meant in a derogatory manner, and I admire your question in a purely scholarly, platonic way.

:blush:
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top